jealous bone

Cindi

My son carried home a dog. It's a full grown pit bull terrier. I won't go near the thing yet, although it seems to be very mild mannered and submissive. Anyway, it is a beautiful dog and his appearance has created a ripple effect throughout the dog community here. The two female pasture dogs are sitting in the pasture gazing longingly through the fence at the horse trailer where the dog has taken up residence. The red pup has been slinking around like someone stepped on his tail. But the most surprising change, was in Elvis, our
eight year old mutt.

I had just come back from town, and I let him in the back door so that he could try out the new doggie bed that I bought him.

"Sure and it’s aboot toime, I dinna tink ya'd e'er get here!" He blurted, when I flung open the door.

Yes it's true. Elvis the hound had begun speaking with an Irish brogue.

"Elvis...what'd you say?"

"Ya herd me Lassie, now if ya doon't moind, will ya git yer foot off me new bed?"

"You need to stop." I said, shaking my head.

He lay down and rested his head on his paws and gazed up at me innocently.

"Okay. What's the problem. It's the new dog isn't it?" I asked.

He sighed heavily, then he sat up and pinned me with a sad look.

"I turned the other cheek when you brought home those two silly female dogs because they live out in the pasture. I never blinked an eye when you carried home the rotten little chihuahua with the bad nerves, and I didn't say anything when the girl brought home the puppy. He turned out to be not such a bad sort, but now this. Are ya tryin’ to give me a complex??"

"Awww...honey!" I knelt down and hugged his neck. "Don't you know no one could ever take your place? Well, even if I liked pit bull dogs, he could never be as good a dog as you are. Never."

"Really?"

"Really. You're my Elvis. You ever see me talking to any of the other dogs?"

"All the time."

"Oh. Well....do you ever see any of them answer?"

"Course not, they're just dumb dogs."

"There you go, see? What we have is special. There's no need for you to go speaking with an Irish accent to get attention. I won't ever forget about you."

"Well, okay. If you're sure."

"Sure as I've ever been about anything in my life." I promised him.

"All right then. If you don't mind, I'll just go back outside."

"No problem."

I opened the door and he stepped daintily out onto the back porch. The red pup who was laying by the steps sprang to his feet, all legs and fur and slobbery tongue, blocking Elvis's path to the back yard where he could lay and warm his old bones in the sun.

"Git oot the way Lad, it's coolder than the wind off McCreedy Loch oot e're!"

"I heard that!" I said.

I would swear I heard him giggle.

Cindi

Yes as a matter of fact he does. (grin) I will try to post a photo of him, but don't expect much. He's old and scrawny and homely.

Cindi

Fascinating....that's a nice choice (grin) he's a mix between a sharpei and a greyhound so he's thin as a rail with muscular hind quarters,a lot of extra wrinkles and tufts of fur on his ears that leave him looking like the flying nun. I will make sure to tell him that he is fascinating. It's a lot better than what he usually hears. Lol!

I would never in a million years have guessed at that mix! Right now we're trying to make sure that we don't have any German Shepherd/wolf and Fila crosses! Now those would be UGLY dogs! Great cattle and protection dogs, very strong and athletic, but I don't even want to think about what they'd look like.

I noticed those hindquarters. I'll bet he can really jump. I do like his look though; he's obviously unique and hey . . . he TALKS! (lol) And hey, I've always been smitten by a brogue (I imagine Elvis sounding like Sean Connery!).

Cindi

Jumps like a deer! And boy can he run. That's where the greyhound part rears it's head. He's been talking ever since he was a puppy. He came along two or three years after Sam, who I will tell you about next. When I am not writing about my pigs, or my goats or my kids, I am writing about my dogs and I love to share those stories with people who can relate. Now for Sam.

Members online