So beyond frustrated...

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo reopened his shoulder from scratching so much. So now he has a big bloody matted mess on his shoulder that of course he won't even let me near. I can't make his life any less allergen free and I don't want him to live on Benedryl because then it's like living with a pet rock!

I don't even know what to do at this point, I'm just *so* done with this allergy business. :(

Saeleofu

What about trying one of the non-drowsy antihistamines (Allegra or Claritin). I know they can be used in dogs, but I have no idea what the dosage is.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
What about trying one of the non-drowsy antihistamines (Allegra or Claritin). I know they can be used in dogs, but I have no idea what the dosage is.
This is the only thing I could thing of.

Sending you vibes that you get something figured out! Poor boy

MicksMom

It won't solve the allergy problem, but how about booties, or those toddler socks with the little grippers on the bottom? Caleb's been extra itchy thsi year, too. We're chalking a lot of it up to the forced hot air heat where we're staying.

Aleron

Do you know what his allergies are?

I think Wobenzymes or the most cost effective Flavenzymes would be worth a try.

MicksMom

I just remembered something- if Frodo is reacting to something in the environment, have you tried wiping him down with baby wipes? A simple waterless shampoo "bath" gave Caleb a little relief.

DJEtzel

Have you tried allerderm-spot on? That has worked wonders with my GSD.

(sorry, I'm a newer member so I don't know his whole history.. :/)

Ivy

I've heard of dogs doing super well with allergy shots, you'd have to get the allergy test done first and not sure how expensive it would be in your area. It's about $600 here for the allergy test and the actuall shots aren't too bad.

Best of luck for Frodo.

I know you know he has some food allergies, but you're already pretty strict with the ingredients in his diet, right? He may also have some environmental allergies. Allergy testing and shots helped Pip SO much, just made a world of difference for him. I can't even say enough good things about it. I went to the UMN when he was tested several years ago but now I would probably go to the McKeever group.

If you can't or don't want to go that route, there's an herbal formula by Kan Herbs called Damp Heat Derma that worked very well for him before I started his allergy shots. Or you could always try something like Atopica, I've been very impressed with it and haven't really seen any major problems in dogs taking it even long term.

SpringerLover

Or you could always try something like Atopica, I've been very impressed with it and haven't really seen any major problems in dogs taking it even long term.
I've debated trying Atopica for years with Buzz but I've never quite been able to figure out how to afford it! Do you have any secrets?! :)

I've debated trying Atopica for years with Buzz but I've never quite been able to figure out how to afford it! Do you have any secrets?! :)
You can get a generic cyclsporine that is less expensive, but it has to be the modified form. I can't remember off the top of my head where we get ours, I'm pretty sure it's Moudry's but I'm not at work today and can't say for sure.

Frodo reopened his shoulder from scratching so much. So now he has a big bloody matted mess on his shoulder that of course he won't even let me near. I can't make his life any less allergen free and I don't want him to live on Benedryl because then it's like living with a pet rock!

I don't even know what to do at this point, I'm just *so* done with this allergy business. :(
Oh my gosh! That is exactly how it is with Jinj! Well, a "Grumpy" purring pet rock, be he can barely get around when he's on it.

I really don't know what to suggest for you because I'm still making the rounds with Jinj trying to find "the cure that does not exist". You could try other OTC allergy meds though, half a Zertec is what I last had Jinjo on, you could try that one too, I ended up swapping every other week to a different drug with Jinj because the one he was on would just seem to stop working so on to the next, or back to a previous one. Rigth now I'm actually trying him free of allergy meds for a short time, he's been off for about 2 days now and doesn't seems worse, but he's still all runny eyes, licking his feet bald, and gags every morning.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thanks for the responses everyone!!

McKeever...? At least call and see how much it would be for a consult? Poor Frozo!
I need to do this. I also want to talk to Laura since she said the person they saw had terrible bedside manner.

It won't solve the allergy problem, but how about booties, or those toddler socks with the little grippers on the bottom? Caleb's been extra itchy thsi year, too. We're chalking a lot of it up to the forced hot air heat where we're staying.
I know it's not good for him to be scratching himself bloody, but I also worry about making him miserable by having an itch that he can't scratch to make feel better. Maybe that's being anthropomorphic?

The other part of that is trying to find boots/socks that will stay on since they all seem to want to latch around his knuckle, which means they all slide down. Might be worth a shot to just put the grippy baby socks on and tape them down?

Do you know what his allergies are?

I think Wobenzymes or the most cost effective Flavenzymes would be worth a try.
I have a handle on most of his food allergies, through elimination style diets, we haven't done any allergy testing yet.
I have no idea what that second sentence means, lol. So I will employ google after I write this response.

Would something like this help?

(from k9topcoat.com)
Same as with MicksMom's suggestion I worry about making him miserable with an itch he can't scratch. Also, i would most likely have to get that altered since...corgi legs. I would have to see if that insulates as well since he tends to be hot all the time. I have thought about something like this in the past though. It seems as though on his body he only has 2 spots that he really really scratches, and those are his left shoulder and his throat. And then his back paws of course.

I just remembered something- if Frodo is reacting to something in the environment, have you tried wiping him down with baby wipes? A simple waterless shampoo "bath" gave Caleb a little relief.
I used Nature's Miracle Pet Wipes for a while every time we came inside from potty breaks and such, but I never noticed much of a difference. Maybe we need to revisit that.

Have you tried allerderm-spot on? That has worked wonders with my GSD.

(sorry, I'm a newer member so I don't know his whole history.. :/)
I have never heard of this before, will have to consult the google. Thanks.

I've heard of dogs doing super well with allergy shots, you'd have to get the allergy test done first and not sure how expensive it would be in your area. It's about $600 here for the allergy test and the actuall shots aren't too bad.

Best of luck for Frodo.
I've heard the allergy testing is around $300. 6 seems like a whole lot! o_O Especially since, from what I've heard, they can be unreliable, especially the environmental portion.

I know you know he has some food allergies, but you're already pretty strict with the ingredients in his diet, right? He may also have some environmental allergies. Allergy testing and shots helped Pip SO much, just made a world of difference for him. I can't even say enough good things about it. I went to the UMN when he was tested several years ago but now I would probably go to the McKeever group.

If you can't or don't want to go that route, there's an herbal formula by Kan Herbs called Damp Heat Derma that worked very well for him before I started his allergy shots. Or you could always try something like Atopica, I've been very impressed with it and haven't really seen any major problems in dogs taking it even long term.
He is on a very very limited diet. I recently did away with all his store bought treats and now he only gets Stella and Chewys Beef frozen for food, and Stella and Chewys Beef freeze dried as treats. And squeeze cheese for reactivity work outside in winter.

As far as the allergy test does, is that just a blood draw? Or how intensive is that? Because that would partially play a part in whether we are able to do that. Frodo isn't very good with a whole lot of poking and prodding. And how often do allergy shots get administered? And once you have the testing done, can your normal vet just administer the allergy shots?

As far as the allergy test does, is that just a blood draw? Or how intensive is that? Because that would partially play a part in whether we are able to do that. Frodo isn't very good with a whole lot of poking and prodding. And how often do allergy shots get administered? And once you have the testing done, can your normal vet just administer the allergy shots?
There are two ways to do it, a blood draw and an interdermal test... that's the one where they inject tiny amounts of the allergens in the skin and measure the reaction. They are sedated for that, though, he's not awake and having to sit still. My impression is that most derms prefer the interdermal. Pip ended up having both because his skin test didn't seem to make sense and they wanted to confirm it (which the blood test did).

The shots are just SQ, you can learn to do them at home. The allergens come with a very clear written schedule where you are initially giving it like... day 1, day 3, day 7, day 10.... and so on, but once you reach a maintenance phase it's usually every 3-4 weeks. When I get a refill the manufacturer recommends doing a very short re-introduction where you work up to maintenance again, but it's shorter course than when you first start.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
That doesn't sound so bad, especially if he can be sedated for it.

I don't think I could ever give shots myself, but maybe Megan would be willing to? Megan? Lol

What are the shots actually made of? Is there any risk long term like with steroids and such?

Members online