Sleeping with the canines

Athe

I have always had a dog or two in bed with me. Even when I was a child the family dog at that time slept in my bed. It made the bond between us strenghten. Right now, my Dobe and Rottie sleep with me, and since I bought a house with my sister the Newf's and cat perfer to sleep with her. There is nothing better than hugging my Dobe all night long...since I don't have a spouse this is the perfect replacement! haha
My Dobe and Rottie have no issues at all allowing boyfriends into my bed. haha, they make space and seem quite happy about another addition. My last boyfriend always found it a little weird waking up and having my Dobe's head on his pillow...Beau just loves the extra warmth. ;)

becca_4321

my dogs wont sleep with us. We go climb in bed to watch a little tv, they will lay in bed with us. Gracie will stay on the bed for awhile but then gets down to sleep in her bed. Princess will stay on the bed until we shut the tv off. Dont know what's with that but as soon as we shut the tv off she jumps down. Once in awhile she'll go into a deep sleep before we shut off the tv and will sleep with us part of the night.
When Kokomo spends the night, he sleeps with us.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
During the day when Belly takes naps, it's either in her crate, under the TV, or on my bed. Sometimes I joim her on my bed but she's never slept a full night with me because she'll start eating my hair.

Yeah, they both sleep with me, King the entire time, Molly usually gets antsy after a while, and goes out and eats a few dog biscuits and sometimes comes back, sometimes not. KIng is so quiet, he's barely detectable, no snoring, and no farting! He wants to lay at the foot of the bed, on the right corner watching the door. Molly gets up above him and puts her head on my shoulder and looks at me for a long time before nodding off. My main problems with her are she wants to put her leg on top of my arm (The power salute stuff), and that she's so trigger happy, anything sets her off. If, say, the neighbors are fighting (a common occurance since the kids went off to college), and she hears them, at the least she will jerk like she's been startled, and the she has to bark a couple of times. King gets downright nasty if he doesn't feel her reaction is appropriate, and will glare/growl/snarl if she doesn't shut up.

Recently, the neighbors were going at it again, and after they seemed to have finished , I went to bed, and finally fell asleep. A few minutes later, the hubby says, right outside my window, "Just WHAT THE F*** DO YOU WANT FROM ME!!" Molly kicked me in the head, she was reversed that day, and it hurt like hell. I had woken up just as he said it, but didn't have time to realize where Molly was. She ran over to the window and had a huge fit. King watched her for a few minutes, then went over and got up really close to her face and let out one "YIP!" She looked like he told her there was no Santa Claus. He jumped up on the bed and stared at her until she left.

Sad to say, they started up again, and for the first time in the 12 or so years they have lived there, I had to call and tell them to please fight on the other side of the house. They seemed shocked that I *STILL* slept during the day. Sheesh.

When I had my 75 pound Pit Mix, my 92 pound Lab, and my 55 pound Lab/Beagle, they all slept pretty well with me. The Lab slept like a rock.

But all of them go off the deep end when the doorbell rings, even King, but Molly is totally nuts. It takes her an hour to calm down. :rolleyes:

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Gus sleeps in bed with me when it is cold, normally he gets too hot! lol! He has his own duvet on the floor, but if it's really hot he sleeps downstairs. Really he sleeps wherever he likes! :D

bubbatd

Chip will start out with me just to make me happy. Then he gets down and takes the " guard " area...between my bed and the door. In the morning he's always on his own bed next to mine.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
If we had a king sized bed I would let teddy sleep with us. he loves to lay down on the bed any chance he gets but there is just not enough room lol. I like A LOT of space around me. Sometimes my husband sleeps right on the edge of the bed so he's not in my way haha oops :D Teddy has his own room with a reclining chair in it lol and TWO crates, all his toys, water and treats. lol that is his place lol when he gets sleepy he goes right into his room and sleeps on his chair that faces the window so he can look out. He loves the comfort of the chair at night and lays on the floor when the sun comes in the window in the morning. Most of the time when go to get him to take him outside in the morning he is often still asleep lol.I think even if we let him sleep on the bed at night he would probably get up and move to his chair at some point lol.

Now my mom's dog, shelby, shih tzu/pug mix I don't mind her sleeping on the bed sometimes. She's small and usually sleeps near the foot of the bed. A lot of times in the winter she gets underneath the covers and sleeps at the foot of the bed all night lol

Buckshot

Saje said:
Rarely. We had all three of them in bed with us last night. Maverick didn't even lay down he just stood over us like a big black god - I mean dog - and then left. LOL Mikey gets the most cuddle time in bed. Nanook does too but not when she's bleeding like now. I like my room too.
I dont think I would allow that in your case after what you described the other night. I would wait a week to make sure all residual effects are gone (from my mind and the dogs digestive tract) ;) Im making a bed for mine out of a sleeping bag. I havent warmed up to the idea of rolling over planting my face into a drool puddle ( that I didnt create myself).

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
always have..always will..my mama use to say Dont let that dog on the bed..and as soon as the door was closed....Bronki always slept with his head on my heart..and when he died i could almost feel the weight of his soul there..but it might have been my imagination. Mary has always been the dog on the left..or sometimes she takes the bottom of the bed. Victor couldn't believe his eyes the first night i carried him into bed. He had been in cold kennels for the last two of his 5 months. The look of pure joy when i set him down on the feather mattress would have let Connie Guthrie know she made the right decision in letting me have him...then he snuggled his head on to the very place where bronki rested his for the last 7 years, i didn't know if to cry with sorrow or with joy. Vic has slept the same way ever since, except Bronki was an on top of the covers kind of guy and no matter how warm it is, Vic wants to be completly covered up. The part i love best about sleeping with my family is when we wake up. there is a lazy stretch and a thump thump happy to see you..happy to have another day together kind of greeting. When it is cold we sleep like a pile of puppies and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Buckshot said:
Im making a bed for mine out of a sleeping bag. I havent warmed up to the idea of rolling over planting my face into a drool puddle ( that I didnt create myself).
Good call, lol! They tend to kick and stretch in their sleep. Mine did stop snoring once they were old enough to eat the Innova EVO formula . . . have no idea why, but they did.

They also take up a ton of room, lol! And they're like potato chips . . . once you have one you just want more ;)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
see smlie I can't stand that becasue I can't stand the heat lol I spend half the night with the covers off as it is lol. I must get it from my mom lol she sleeps with the window open in winter time lol

Teddy already has more beds than he knows what to do with lol he has one in the living room and three in his bedroom lol

Charlie likes to jump in the bed when I do and he'll lay at my feet. Then sometime during the night, b/c I probably move around a lot, he goes and gets on the couch until I get up. It's a hard life!

scob89

DILLIGAF?
When ever I have brenna over night she gets to sleep in the bed with me and she like to put her head no my chest and fall asleep like that. Its fun to watch her.

Adrienne

Neva and Gunnar and Katya all crawl up to snuggle with me when I go to bed then when Tony comes to bed (I usually pass out pretty early) Neva sleeps in the crate (door open) Gunnar sleeps on a crib mattress on my side by in between my bed and the door and Katya snuggles up next to him or sleeps on the couch. So many dogs! So much heat! AWWWWWW :D

Barb04

Super Moderator
Max sleeps across the bottom of the mattress (king size bed), CJ sleeps in her comfy dog bed (only jumps up on our bed in the morning), one of the 2 cats always manages to be there, and Kona is on the couch but sneaks into the bedroom early in the morning to lay on the floor.

bubbatd

Sparks .... growing up in Canada , I woke up many mornings to snow on the floor by the open window.!!!! I LOVE a cold room and lots of blankets! ( or dogs )

poeluvr

my poe sleeps with me most nights...for a pup hes great..he goes t sleep rigth away evry night!

Where else would your dog sleep???!!!!!!!!!! lol. My husband and Phoebe have a competition every night to see who can snore the loudest. I have to say that Phoebe wins every time!!

moe

As a child I used to have our dogs sleep on my bed, I wouldnt dream of it now though, I just dont fancy the dogs hair up my nose or covering the bed linin, I like my bedrooms to be human areas only, I also have the main rooms in the house dog free too, as we have clients coming to our home sometime to discuss work, and there is nothing worse than people leaving your home with hairs stuck to their clothes, not everyone appreciates it. lol

Mo

Members online