What are your dogs favorite chew toys right now?

Other than bully sticks and marrow bones, Louis doesn't really chew anything. I'd like to find a durable chew toy that might appeal to him. So far the bazillion nylabone varieties I've tried haven't held any interest for him. Also not interested in chewing on any Kong products so far, though he will happily empty a kong of treats or peanut butter.

He occasionally will chew an antler, but only the split variety, which then only last about 30 minutes or so.

For a while he seemed a bit interested in chewing his Busy Buddy Jack, but that's gone by the wayside.

So, what's popular in your house?

Cow hoofs are popular here. They are low value enough that I can leave them out, but the dogs still have interest in chewing on them. I only buy the Smokehouse brand because I've had other brands just break apart.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Himalayan dog chews are a big favorite around here, closely followed by everlasting treats in various Starmark toys. I occasionally get them great big Wholesome Hides rawhides that take them forever to put a dent in. We have a Benebone that has been getting a lot of love, and a buffalo(?) horn that I sometimes smear peanut butter inside to keep their attention.

Himalayan dog chews are a big favorite around here, closely followed by everlasting treats in various Starmark toys. I occasionally get them great big Wholesome Hides rawhides that take them forever to put a dent in. We have a Benebone that has been getting a lot of love, and a buffalo(?) horn that I sometimes smear peanut butter inside to keep their attention.
Where do you buy your himalayan chews? I used to buy them from Chewy, but kept getting ones that would just shatter into large sharp pieces and my dogs aren't even strong chewers. I stopped ordering them after I got 3 that did that.

Snark

Mutts to you
Cow hooves and Himalayan chews are the favorites here. Our local farm store (Dickey Bub) carries the chews for about $4 to $5 cheaper than Petco or Petsmart. A couple of weeks ago, they had Himalayan chews on sale for $10 ea. for the large (70 lbs) and $5 ea. for the smaller ones. I bought a bunch. :D

You do know you can microwave the Himalayan chews when the pieces get too small and make cheese 'puffs'?

Kati

Jack really like his caoutchouc ball. Had is for over 5 months now and still looks the same.

You do know you can microwave the Himalayan chews when the pieces get too small and make cheese 'puffs'?
I do know that, but my problem was that the Himalayan chew would shatter into a bunch of really sharp pieces within a matter of minutes. Some of the ones I got were good where the dogs could actually chew them down to small pieces, then I would microwave them. Not sure if there was a bad batch or something...

I had totally forgotten about Himalayan chews. Time to get some again.

Thanks for the ideas. Will start looking around.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Wholesome Hides makes their rawhide chews in the ISA out of fresh beef hides, the ones from China are made from hides that have been shipped there and back so they require significant chemical processing to make them white and pretty. All of the Wholesome Hides chews I've gotten were made from big, thick solid pieces of rawhide. I like their retriever rolls because you can clealry see that they are made from one thick rolled up sheet. Rawhides tend to be avoided because some dogs bite off big hunks and swallow them. That's a lot harder to do when the rawhide doesn't easily break into smaller pieces.

Well I'll be damned.

Turns out it's all for nothing anyway - they don't have any Canadian distributors. Hrmph.

Members online

No members online now.