Your Dogs Name: Why You Chose The Dog Name You Did

I went with Spock for my German Shepherd puppy (you know, the pointy ears). Works for me very well since I love science fiction.

We currently have Bailey-who my husband named after he looked up stripper names. He was going to name her after one of the days of the week, (I can't remember which, I think it was Monday) but the day he picked her up wasn't the one he liked.

Trooper-he came with his name, but his previous owner told us he was named that because when she got him she had a friend going off to school to become a Trooper.

We had a foster that I named Resi, which was short for resilience. She was severly abused by her first owner.

We also fostered an 11 year old snake and her name was Jake. She was later renamed Sunday by her new owners.

Our cats are named Charlie and Gus. Charlie was Henry with his first owners and I didn't like it. I had such a hard time picking a name. My husband, so badly, wanted to name him Rupert. We settled on Charlie so I could say-sorry, Charlie! And Gus looked like the mouse from Cinderella when we first got him (Gus Gus) because he was SO fully of worms and so tiny (4 weeks). Our friend Jennifer actually picked his name.

My husband's family dog's name was Brutus, but I don't know where they got it from. My family dog's name was Maxi. When she was sold to us, we were led to beleive she was a he. When we took her to the vet they informed us that "he" was a she and my Dad said-well, then add an "i" to the end of that. She was lovingly called Maxi pad (expect anything less in a house full of 5 women?) and Maxi bear.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I don't think I've ever done this before, so I will pop in here.

Harlow was a name I heard in passing through my grandma. Josh and I were struggling to settle on a name, so I got a hold of her and asked what that cousin's dog's name was and boop! here we are. She was named the day before we picked her up at our favorite campground in Northern MI.

Rider was going to be Preacher.. except once again, Josh put up a fit. I wanted something country/western but my original LeDoux just didn't fit him. Thus he became Rider, I think through a suggestion on my ACD board.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I don't think I've posted Ned in here!

My mom and I knew we wanted a western or Australian themed name. We had actually narrowed the list down to 3, a couple of which we'd both loved for years, and were sure it was going to be one of those but were just trying to narrow it down.

Then one day I suggested Ned, after Ned Kelly (a famous Australian outlaw), and it just fit SO perfectly we were both like "that's it!". We both loved the tie to Australia, and the fact that Ned Kelly is still regarded as a hero by some. There was also a 2003 movie about Ned Kelly (played by Heath Ledger) - it's a favorite of my mom and mine, and we are both huge Heath Ledger fans (the name Ledger was actually one of those 3 names we were considering). Upon doing more research I also found out that Ned Kelly's mother's maiden name was Quinn. There were too many connections to pass the name up :)

It's a great fit for him and people get a kick out of such a simple name (although he has a multitude of nicknames). I do think a couple other names on our list would have been a perfect fit for his personality as well, but I don't love any of them the way I love the name Ned Kelly.

We've named our dog LeBron. obviously he was named after LeBron James. We're a Miami Heat fanatic and our dog Lebron was born after Miami Heat won for the championship.

We got our two lab/heelers from the local humane society when they were abt 8wks old. They were part of a litter of 6 and had been named Flipper and Fran. That was not going to fly :lol-sign: We picked out a boy and a girl from the litter. My husband and brother in law collect vintage toys so they immediately starting going through the classic brother/sister combos. Adam and Adora, Luke and Leia, etc. I am a "Gone with the Wind" fanatic so my sister in law threw Rhett and Scarlett into the mix. I had already fallen in love with the "lyne" part of Raelyn which is what I wanted to name our little girl but my husband nixed that one. We finally settled on Rhett and Taralyne and couldn't love them more. Just as an fyi for ppl who haven't seen "Gone with the Wind" Tara is the name of the plantation where Scarlett lived ;)

tedkata_m

My dog name

We called our dog Obama, like Barack Obama :) Its a little funny when I tell him: "Obama, come here, or Obama, sit here"

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Oz - named after a character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer :p But with his eyeliner look and the rest of the dog's themed names, it's come to be for Ozzy Osbourne

Cobain - I'm pretty sure I had some "deep meaning" for the name when I first got him, but really, I liked the band Nirvana, and I liked sorta unique names for dogs.

Rigby - Following the musical name theme. Also, with her past I felt that she fit with the song lyrics to Eleanor Rigby pretty well.

Ruby Soho - Again following theme. Her name was "Rosie" when she was given to us. There were a few reasons that we had to change the name, plus I just wasn't much a fan of the name. Since she's technically my mother's dog I didn't have full reign over the names, so Ruby was the "most acceptable" of the suggestions I offered.

RBark

Got Floof?
Kobe came as Kobe from the rescue. My incredible lack of cleverness when it comes to name is well noted. Haha.

Syl is the first dog I ever named on my own. I named her Sylphrena, from the book series by Brandon Sanderson, The Stormlight Archive.

Minor spoilers from Way of Kings ahead:

“I'm behind what is happening to you. I'm doing it. It's both of us. But without me, nothing would be changing in you. I'm . . . taking something from you. And giving something in return. It's the way it used to work, though I can't remember how or when. I just know that it was. I'm willing to stop it, if you want. But I would go back to being as I was before. That scares me. Floating on the wind, never remembering anything for longer than a few minutes. It's because of this tie between us that I can think again, that I can remember what and who I am. If we end it, I lose that.â€

chad88

I named one of my dogs Whisky - originally I'm from Scotland and the dog - a retired greyhound - was whisky in colour. Another dog I named Eva which arises from a girlfriend that I had many years ago and I loved her very much (I don't tell the wife, of course :) ). And yet another dog I named Ayr after the town on the west coast of Scotland. I have very many fond memories of college life there.

TopShelfPets

Thread Killer
When I was in college I had a "brilliant" idea one night to have a menagerie named after booze. I had a parakeet named Buddy and said i was going to get another one named Wiser, and cats named Captain and Morgan. And someone said that a pit bull named Jager would fit.

A few years later when I went to the shelter, I wanted a German Shepherd puppy, but a lab hound mix picked me, and since Jaeger is German for hunter, and he's a mix of hunting dogs, it stuck. His full name is Jaegermeister Meisterjaeger. He responds to lots of things though.

Keeping with the booze theme, I had a cat named SoCo and a bunny named Bacardi. My husband named all his animals after tertiary Simpsons characters, so when we got our fat tailed African Gecko, we named him the only appropriate choice - Duff.

Then Mo, his cat, got pregnant. We had a friend who was insistent we named one of the kittens after her, so we named one combining her and her husbands names Rick & Kerri - Kirerri. The other kitten we named Lana after the character in the show Archer - she is mostly black and had massive paws when she was a baby.

Our new puppy's name will be Baelfire (Bae) after the character in Once upon a time, and sort of after the MTG card Balefire Dragon.

Staff online

Members online