Help! Why should I do (if anything)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So today has kind of generally blown. Mostly due to septic problems in my bran new house! But that's another problem.

I also may swear off dogs forever.

Hank is really really hyper. I mean he may be up there as one of the highest energy dogs I've met. Plus he's bitey and has no brake system and likes to plow over me, other dogs, the furniture and shrubbery, etc

But this story isn't about Hank. I took hank to the park on a long line for the first time. Trying to get some fetch and such energy out (he is already so good at playing in public!!). I was driving all around today finishing cleaning out the old house and I ended up at Walmart. Mistake 1: I bought some crappy pupperonis as treats.

I never ever do that. But I was rushed and I needed treats. Why not get hotdogs? Dunno. I cannot tell you why I didn't think of that.

Anyways. 6 oz bag of pupperonis and I put them away. Took hank out to the park. Got home to poosplosion. Mia looks like a freaking beach ball. A few minutes later I found the shredded empty pupperonis bag.

I don't have a clue how she got it! None at all! She is squealing if you touch her belly. He must be sooooo sick. Should I do anything? Wait her out? It was a full 6 oz bag of pupperonis.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
How long has it been since she ate it? Less than 2-3 hours and you can try inducing vomiting from what I've been told.

Grab

You could try to induce vomiting. It's possible that not all of them digested and it might relieve her a bit. Otherwise, most likely she'll be gassy and uncomfortable for a day or so, but she'll likely do ok once everything digests. Although dependent on her sensitivity, she may have a poosplosion.

Julian has pulled a few of these stunts over the years, beach ball appearance included. Sometimes it's ended in diarrhea, other times nothing but a sheepish and uncomfortable dog for a day. If you have some sucralfate on hand, that might help a bit.

MicksMom

Charcoal tablets work pretty good for gas and bloating from gas. When my grandmother's Toy Poodle blew up like that after raiding the trash and eating about 3 pounds of turkey breast, I gave her charcoal biscuits to combat the gas. Back then, I didn't have charcoal tablets.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia and I had a talk about making good choices. Lol. She looks obese. I do not have any charcoal so we are waiting it out

Foxy has done this too many times to count. You would think I would learn to not leave things out :rolleyes: I've always just waited it out and she's been no worse for wear. The only time I induced vomiting was when she got a super dark chocolate bar off of my desk and ate half of it :eek:

ETA:Hydrogen peroxide works great for making dogs vomit if you don't have charcoal on hand!

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
I will vouch for Hydrogen Peroxide for inducing vomiting. I used it once for Ocean when I thought he ate pieces of a tennis ball. It took a little while for it kick in...but when it did, it emptied the contents of his stomach. :eek: I would google the dosage for a dog's Mia's size...I only know Rottweiler sized dosing.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Hydrogen peroxide is what I always do. Auggie does not appreciate it. I've actually never done the charcoal thing! She will probably be a-okay, just gassy and probably poopy for a few days. Bad decision, Mia, LOL.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Hydrogen peroxide does work really well. I had to give it to Katalin once when she swallowed an entire stuffed toy rabbit. We still have that rabbit. I never found one of the feet.

The big thing I'd watch for is dehydration in case she really gets the runs, since she's so small. Clear unflavored pedialyte is helpful for treating/preventing it.

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
I've actually never done the charcoal thing!
I don't even know how I would get my guys to even ingest charcoal. They aren't the type of dogs who will eat just anything...Ocean doesn't even like cheese! Lars is a total food snob too. Trying to hide a pill in anything is a challenge with O...he knows there's something in there that he isn't supposed to eat. At least with hydrogen peroxide, I can squirt that down his throat with a big syringe.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
She pooped so much yesterday but is now doing better. A bit pudgy but overall much better.

That dog. She's a mess.

Members online

No members online now.