So ummm... Hank the cow dog

BostonBanker

My belgian breeder friend thinks the 10 months is more accurate. She said he fits his paws well.
Ha, careful with that! Everyone told me Gusto was going to stay tiny because his joints and paws looked like they fit him pretty early on.

Little bugger never stopped growing. I think with some of these rescues (depending on their earlier situation, of course), you get them on a good diet and they make up all kinds of ground you didn't know they had missed.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Ha, careful with that! Everyone told me Gusto was going to stay tiny because his joints and paws looked like they fit him pretty early on.

Little bugger never stopped growing. I think with some of these rescues (depending on their earlier situation, of course), you get them on a good diet and they make up all kinds of ground you didn't know they had missed.
Yup Kim was going to top out at 25 lbs according to multiple vets, etc. Ha. No.

That said Webster didn't grow at all, and he was about 10-11 months old. Same size now as then.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I wouldn't mind another 10 lbs on him to be honest. He's tinier than I really expected to get but he's adorable. I feel like he will fill out a bit though. Especially if he's closer to 6 months than 10.

He has lost weight since being here. I upped his food intake now to almost 2 cups. O.O I don't know if it's just because he is so active or what?

Elrohwen

Yeah, I think the paw and bone size thing is a total crapshoot. Watson has huge paws and thick bone and I had people tell me at 18 months that he was going to grow a lot because his paws were so big. Haha

On the other hand, the ACDx I know has teeny tiny paws, but ended up just a few pounds smaller than Watson.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I wouldn't mind another 10 lbs on him to be honest. He's tinier than I really expected to get but he's adorable. I feel like he will fill out a bit though. Especially if he's closer to 6 months than 10.

He has lost weight since being here. I upped his food intake now to almost 2 cups. O.O I don't know if it's just because he is so active or what?
I assume he was checked for worms and such, to be safe? Is he intact?

Otherwise I wouldn't really panic, especially if he's a growing boy. As long as he is lean but not hollow and is maintaining good energy levels, coat, and muscle, however much he's eating is fine. Lo went through a growth spurt around six months, at about 20lbs, where he was eating nearly 4 cups a day and was still hollow...every bone jutted out. Thank goodness he is hairy else I would have been arrested...as it was people were startled when petting him because there was nothing under the coat. But he settled back down in a few weeks and was no longer a skeletal bottomless pit.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yep. Checked for worms and all that. Neutered on the 18th? I believe.

He is fit and muscular. Could use some conditioning but other than that is in good shape.

I am betting he ends up around 22-23lbs.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Lo went through a growth spurt around six months, at about 20lbs, where he was eating nearly 4 cups a day and was still hollow...every bone jutted out. Thank goodness he is hairy else I would have been arrested...as it was people were startled when petting him because there was nothing under the coat. But he settled back down in a few weeks and was no longer a skeletal bottomless pit.
Preach! Smaller dogs, I don't paws are going to be a good indication as to if they're 6 months or 10 months. I would go with what the vet thinks, he sounds like a younger puppy to me and in his photo thread his muscles definitely look like 6 month old, lean. And that he's eating so much speaks to still rapidly growing puppy. He is absolutely adorable, and I don't think you have anything to worry about. Feist has gone through several if-you-didn't-have-coat-people-would-judge-me phases of her puppyhood.

casey82

O.K. So I know I'm like mega late in this... but YAY!!!! :banana: I'm so happy you finally did it! He's cute and wonderful and I wish you all the luck!

Taqroy

I notice he is more motion sensitive at night. I am wondering if it is because he's tired? Anyone noticed anything like this?
Mu is much more sensitive to, well, everything when she's tired. She is much quicker to bark about Tipper breaking the "rules" at night.

I'm so glad he's settling down, he's super duper cute. And I know it's easier to say than do, but try to ignore your family if they're rude about this. You're an adult, you've been planning this dog for YEARS, and you're a fantastic dog owner.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
You might try a high fat, high protein food if you can find one. Acana makes a few options, of course they are super expensive. Fromm's fish formula isn't too bad, I'm considering switching the boys to that.

Payton is pretty much impossible to put weight on. I was feeling pretty good because he weighed just under 21 pounds at the vet last time, and then this morning he lost a whole half-pound... ughhhhhh. I don't worry too much about it because he's not dangerously skinny or anything, but if he got really sick he could probably get into the danger zone pretty rapidly. It just seems to be how he is. This past weekend we were at the trial and everybody was commenting about how Auggie's brother "looks" bigger than Payton... he carries more weight (for the show ring) and also has a lot more coat. I jokingly said that's the "show" model and mine is the "sport" model. I would have a really hard time putting P in the show ring. =P

P is 16.5"-ish at the shoulder, so probably 20-25 pounds isn't too far off as an estimate assuming he gets about that size. I would be happy with P at 22!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah he was finishing up the Pro plan sport. I bought some wellness core last night when we went to petsmart because he practically ate both my small bags of food in a week. Omg I miss being able to buy one tiny bag and it lasting 2 months. He's at a good weight now but needs some muscle building. He's just SUCH a bottomless pit. And I can hear his tummy growling often so he really is hungry!

Thanks so much for the votes of confidence! I think he's going to be great.

I'd like to wicket him. I may try to get my trainer to wicket him tonight lol. I'm guessing 15/16".

Members online