So many teeth

houlahoops

I got a good look at Pippa's adult teeth last night and I realized that her adult canine (upper right) came in just in front of her puppy tooth...but the deciduous tooth never fell out! :( How long do I wait to see if she drops it? How much should I expect to spend if we need to get it extracted? She is seven months old, now, and all of her other adult teeth appear to have come in correctly. The new canine isn't digging into the bottom gum and appears to be correctly placed.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Tug like hell over the next few weeks and see if you can't get it to come out. Otherwise she'll have to be sedated for surgery to have it removed, sooner rather than later. Auggie had one do the same and he was going to have it surgically removed. It came out during a game of tug two days before his surgery. He was eight months at the time.

Tug like hell!!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
^ What Beanie said. If it doesn't come out, it will need to be removed. They can cause issues if left in. If done with another procedure, it isn't that much to have the tooth itself removed (anywhere from $10-$20, actually), but she will need to be sedated to have it pulled. Normally if baby teeth are still present we just pull them during a spay/neuter or dental procedure, so the pet under gas anesthesia. Not sure if a vet would do it with an injectable sedation, instead, if she was able to be completely out? May not hurt to ask, as that would cut your costs WAY down if you're not planning on having her spayed/have a dental done anytime soon.

houlahoops

She likes to tug! I can do that! I really didn't want to get her spayed before her first heat, so she's not going to go under for another procedure anytime soon if I can help it. If it's not out by 8 months I guess I'll have to call in and schedule something.

Everybody cross your fingers for it to fall out!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Second, third, whatever, TUG!!! with a rope preferably!! And try to wiggle it in her mouth, yank on it, whatever, if she'll let you do that!! And if you have a good vet, they might pull it under light sedation, or a drug that knocks them pretty much out or makes them loopy!

houlahoops

Well, no luck yet but we have pulled two legs off her stuffed jellyfish! She lets me pull on it if she is properly bribed with dried catfish so that's been happening as well. It's not really loose at all, though :(

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I could not get Auggie's to budge at all with manual manipulation. I think it was one of those woven rope bones that finally pulled it out, but I can't remember. Keep trying!

That is actually part of the reason I ended up with so many of Payton's baby teeth. I was kind of obsessive about it and checked his teeth CONSTANTLY, and ended up pulling a lot of his teeth being like "Is this one loose? *poke* ACK IT FELL OUT. Okay how about this one? *poke* ACK" hahaha

amberdyan

I could not get Auggie's to budge at all with manual manipulation. I think it was one of those woven rope bones that finally pulled it out, but I can't remember. Keep trying!

That is actually part of the reason I ended up with so many of Payton's baby teeth. I was kind of obsessive about it and checked his teeth CONSTANTLY, and ended up pulling a lot of his teeth being like "Is this one loose? *poke* ACK IT FELL OUT. Okay how about this one? *poke* ACK" hahaha
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

It doesn't matter that I don't know what you look like. I pictured this VIVIDLY.

houlahoops

Christ. Well we were dicking around in the woods yesterday and she took off after a pheasant. Recalled with blood all over her face. Cracked that tooth clean in half. I pulled out what I could...vet is taking the wait-and-see approach (we were scheduled to have it pulled this Monday), and she's on antibiotics. Cross your fingers that the root reabsorbs and she's feeling better soon!

Also, she weighed in at 50.1 pounds :eek:

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Christ. Well we were dicking around in the woods yesterday and she took off after a pheasant. Recalled with blood all over her face. Cracked that tooth clean in half. I pulled out what I could...vet is taking the wait-and-see approach (we were scheduled to have it pulled this Monday), and she's on antibiotics. Cross your fingers that the root reabsorbs and she's feeling better soon!

Also, she weighed in at 50.1 pounds :eek:
Any updates? Hoping it was nothing serious.

houlahoops

She's been well...a little bitchy yesterday and scared the tar out of our BC friend by bleeding all over him on their playdate. Her mouth looks good and she's taking her antibiotics, so we are hoping that the root just reabsorbed and she will be good to go with no surgery!

If we do the surgery, her insurance will cover most of it, which is really nice, so it wouldn't be the end of the world (although I'm a wuss and don't want to put my buddy under).

Members online

No members online now.