What is your opinion of toy breeds and small dog breeds?

FG167

I like Terriers and Corgis. While I LOVE Eden, I will probably never get another Corgi. The reasons are silly and petty but they're mine. She sheds as much hair as the 70 lb GSDs do, sometimes more (she's 25 lbs). I have to pick her up to get her in/on anything - my car, the back of the truck, certain places hiking etc etc She hates being picked up. Next small dog will be able to leap onto these surfaces! Plus, DH wants a terrier bad, I'm just trying to aim his want towards the specific breed I want :)

JacksonsMom

I like Terriers and Corgis. While I LOVE Eden, I will probably never get another Corgi. The reasons are silly and petty but they're mine. She sheds as much hair as the 70 lb GSDs do, sometimes more (she's 25 lbs). I have to pick her up to get her in/on anything - my car, the back of the truck, certain places hiking etc etc She hates being picked up. Next small dog will be able to leap onto these surfaces! Plus, DH wants a terrier bad, I'm just trying to aim his want towards the specific breed I want :)
That's one thing I'm so glad Jackson has no problem doing - jumping and leaping onto things. My dads dogs both have short legs (well one shorter than the other, one just fat and lazy LOL) and they constantly are asking to be picked up and put on the couch, bed, in the car, etc. I don't really have this problem w/ Jackson and it's sooo nice. I can't imagine having to lift him up into everything. Lola had to for a while but now at 7 1/2 months, she can basically do most by herself, she's pretty agile.

Get a Border Terrier, c'mon.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I like small dogs just fine. As with all dogs, it depends on the personality. I find a lot of small dogs to be what I consider boring - they're perfect, friendly lapdogs for their people because that's what they want, but they don't have enough sass to interest me. I've met big dogs like that, too, but I think it's more common in small dogs just by virtue of them being bred for companionship. I like quirky and weird. I grew up with small (toy and miniature) poodles and they will always have a place in my heart. My mom has a Chihuahua mix who is hilarious and tons of fun.

Mostly I have little interest in small dogs for me personally because I'm clumsy and they're just too tiny. I like a bigger/sturdier dog, a dog I can rough house with without worrying about hurting. I wouldn't say no to a nice dog, though :)

I will add that Papillions, JRTs, an Silken Windhounds are small dogs I really like and would consider owning if they made sense. I'm fostering the BF's love of Whippets so that maybe eventually I can push him towards a Silken. It's a long term plan.
Yessssss do it!

DenoLo

Mine is a very, very fun little dog. She's 7 lbs but can jump up on to most things. she can keep up hiking. She's a therapy dog every other weekend in an alzheimers unit. We can play around with agility and trick training. She's not brilliant at anything, but SO confident and willing to do pretty much anything.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I like small dogs just fine. As with all dogs, it depends on the personality. I find a lot of small dogs to be what I consider boring - they're perfect, friendly lapdogs for their people because that's what they want, but they don't have enough sass to interest me. I've met big dogs like that, too, but I think it's more common in small dogs just by virtue of them being bred for companionship.
Yup. I often say that Ru isn't particularly good for any of the things I like having a dog for. He's not terribly food motivated, has very little drive for anything, and is a an extremely slow learner. However, he is VERY good at sitting on laps and takes his job as a lapdog very seriously. There are small dogs that are great at other things though, so I think a lot has to do with temperament. I'd appreciate Ru a lot more if he had a herder temperament. He'd be a dream dog for someone who wanted a dog to smish against their face and follow them around constantly.

JayBear

I grew up with a Corgi cross and he was a character, but our other dogs have all been bigger..like medium size lab/collie crosses and Border Collie.

I thought of downsizing for my last dog and ended up with a Border Collie..lol!

If I do have another I definitely need to downsize. I don't mind smaller in height than mine (23" at shoulder) but don't like them too fragile and would want it to be able to keep up with my collie so we can still go for long treks...it couldn't be too heavy to carry though just in case it couldn't!

I'm not a fan of terriers cos all ones I know are really yappy though there's also some yappy Shih Tzu's near me too and some aggressive Border Terriers that go mental everytime you go past!

I think celebrities have spoiled things for small dogs with this daft fashion of carrying them about everywhere in bags and dressing them up and people copying them!

JayBear

Mine is a very, very fun little dog. She's 7 lbs but can jump up on to most things. she can keep up hiking. She's a therapy dog every other weekend in an alzheimers unit. We can play around with agility and trick training. She's not brilliant at anything, but SO confident and willing to do pretty much anything.

What breed is she?

Members online

No members online now.