Best Time for a Vasectomy?

This may be a bit of an empty question, since Gimmick may be the only vasectomized male on theboard, but I'm going to try anyway.

There is a chance Glitch will stzy with me. I would like to have him vasectomized as opposed to castrated. Gimmick was done around a year, mostly due to me taking that long to discuss it with the vet.

Is sooner better? Obviously I don't want to do it while he is very small, but I would like to take advantage of the puppy healing time. Or does it even matter?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
This may be a bit of an empty question, since Gimmick may be the only vasectomized male on theboard, but I'm going to try anyway.

There is a chance Glitch will stzy with me. I would like to have him vasectomized as opposed to castrated. Gimmick was done around a year, mostly due to me taking that long to discuss it with the vet.

Is sooner better? Obviously I don't want to do it while he is very small, but I would like to take advantage of the puppy healing time. Or does it even matter?
I wouldn't think it would matter? I mean, he's still going to have testosterone production, so it won't affect his growth/etc.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
The census seems to be that OSS/vas, the time doesn't really matter. They still have their hormones, so nothing is really affecting. So long as the vet feels comfortable doing it young (smaller parts, etc) then puppy healing time is definitely a benefit.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
The census seems to be that OSS/vas, the time doesn't really matter. They still have their hormones, so nothing is really affecting. So long as the vet feels comfortable doing it young (smaller parts, etc) then puppy healing time is definitely a benefit.
Definitely what Jess said about puppies healing faster, although I think unless allowed to run buck wild, boys tend to heal faster it seems.

If I'd had Indy OSS'd it wouldn't have mattered to me to wait until she was three because the hormones would still be there. I would definitely have preferred to have her done younger because her recovery time was pretty rough, but it would have depended on if I could have found a vet close enough and knowledgeable enough, plus comfortable enough doing an OSS on a young female.

Members online

No members online now.