The New Kid

]I've had several people PM me about "Bella", wanting to know more about him. First of all, his new name is Glitch, because his darn penis went ahead and Glitched up all my plans!

I love this boy. Love, love, love him. He's smart, drivey, and incredibly resilient. I've been taking him all over the place to see what he is like, and he has surpassed my expectations. Yesterday we went downtown, and he experiences all types of people, wheelchairs, street performers, stores, kids, you name it, he saw it (including a phalynx of men stomping around in high heels- God I love my city)

He is already loving toys and tugging. He rides well in the car and is a little tornado in the apartment. He and Haley are crazy together!

His paperwork suggests that he is a half brother to Shrimp, sharing a father, but they are opposite ends of the spectrum in temperament.

He does have very poor bite inhibition, but I kind of expected it in a puppy sold too young. He is learning that noses are not food.

The biggest sticking point right now is the crate. You know how most puppies, even if they scream for a while, eventually give up? Not so much. He screamed, fell asleep, woke up 45 min later, then screamed again. Rinse, lather, repeat, all night long for the past two nights. I have thin walls and neighbors, so this is a bit of a problem. I did let him cry it out while I was taking a nap this afternoon and they were all at work, but I am not holding a lot of hope out for tonight. Suggestions are not only welcome, but begged for.

Glitch has a clean bill of health from the vet. No worms (hooray, since Haley is a major poop eater), heart sounds great, typical pup. Everyone upstairs loved him and has been playing pass the puppy, since he is too young to join daycare.

So, what do I do now? The whippet I was looking at is bred, but the pregnancy is not confirmed. I want an agility prospect out of her dog. But Glitch is here now, and he is showing signs that he will be good at agility as well. I'm having Gimmick's trainer evaluate him tomorrow. I would hate to rehome this great puppy, only to find out that either the breeding didn't take, or that there isn't a good prospect for me in the litter. A bird in the hand, you know?

And, because I know this is what you are all waiting for, some pictures of Glitch. My camera died a horrible death, so cell phone shots only

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/StillandSilent/20150410_123450_zpsywxyeiwl.jpg[/IMG
Glitch and Haley Playing. They are best friends, but holy crap I don't know how breeders do it! I only have the two and I feel like I"m herding cats! On a Haley related note, she is officially healthy enough to go to her new home, and will be driving to Maryland next Saturday! Hooray!

[IMG]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/StillandSilent/20150408_223458_zpsca73jj3m.jpg
Haley, Glitch and Gimmick chilling out. Gambit is off somewhere making permanent bitch-face and hoping that all of us die

A somewhat blurry shot of the little dude. His fur is much thicker then Gimmick's was as a pup, so he might be quite fuzzy later on. Also, he has one precious little light brindled hind leg, while the rest is dark. He really is a cutie pie

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Oh my goodness. He is adorable.

Is there any way you can just hold onto him until you find out if the breeding took/has a puppy you are interested in? In the mean time, just do a bunch of drive building and socialization. Then if you do end up rehoming him, he will have an even better start. :)

Also, have you tried covering the crate or giving him a kong or something? I know you said you were desperate so I'm just throwing things out there.

BostonBanker

Well just let him sleep in the bed with you! I bet he'll stop barking!

Also, he is totally cute and you should definitely keep him.

Thanks for the replies!

I gave him a duck foot last night and he rejected it, but I did buy a Kong today and I'm going to stuff it for him. His crate was covered, except for the front of it, which was facing Haley's crate. I thought that seeing her might help, especially since she's so good in the crate. I'll cover completely tonight.

I will sleep next to him tonight, so I can comfort him. I know he's had a lot of changes, but its so hard to be sympathetic the 5th or 6th time around.

I actually wouldn't mind having him sleep with me, but I have a loft bed, and I don't want him to fall out. :yikes: Pancake whippet for all! Plus, if I want to use him in agility, he needs to be able to crate.

milos_mommy

Crate Games!!!!

My one foster with bad separation anxiety wouldn't crate and I felt too bad for her so she was allowed in my bed, then we had company that stayed on an air mattress next to her crate and she was totally cool (and stayed cool after they left).

Did you try all the typical stuff like hot water bottle, ticking clock, t shirt you wore that day?? Not that those are all that helpful...

k9krazee

So so so cute!!!!!! A tough situation, for sure! I say, keep him for 6-8 more weeks--by then you'll know more about him and have practice building drive and puppy skills (and an older housebroken puppy with basic life skills is more adoptable) and in that time you'll likely know if you want a pup from the litter.

Everything happens for a reason ;)

Milo's Mommy- Thank you so much for suggesting the crate games! He is following a treat in there and staying for more. But what do I do tonight? Will locking him in ruin the progress we have made?

k9krazee

Pox screamed in his crate at night. It was constant and ignoring him, covering his crate or putting him on a table next to the bed did nothing...so we let him sleep with us.

Then I worked on crate games and rewarded him for going in and out and staying in for short periods of time. What really really helped, I think, was crating him next to me when I did training with Crossbone and giving him a treat every once in awhile.

I haven't crated him at night again but he's PERFECT in the crate at agility trials, classes, random points throughout the day, etc. I'm kindof afraid to crate him at night...I think he just really loves the snuggle time :p So, I have no advice re: continuing crating at night and ruining progress.

The Update on Glitch:
The hard mouthing/nipping is almost gone, though he still does it when he gets excited. He is much closer to normal pup then landshark now.

This puppy is amazing. He has been downtown twice, crawled all over three different pet stores, enjoyed lunch at an outdoor café, and gone visiting with kids. He has responded to every new experience positively, and is showing great signs of having a wonderful, stable temperament.

We are still having issues with the crate, though they are slowly improving. I'm currently feeding him his meals inside, and we have a special PB stuffed water buffalo horn for crate time only. He is getting short (15-20) minute stretches in it while I am home, and he is generally very quiet and well behaved.

At night, he is still doing a lot of moaning and soft whimpers, but the actual screaming has decreased a lot. Still some sharp (piercing) barks at random intervals.

I think a lot of things will improve Friday, when Haley leaves for her forever family. Right now we've been focusing mostly on socializing, building toy drive, and the very start of clicker training.

Tomorrow is his agility evaluation. It is the last class of the session, so he is welcome to come in and look at some of the equiptment. Fingers crossed that he gets a favorable report.

Members online

No members online now.