Is your dog a gifter?

ACooper

What I mean is, do you have a dog or dogs who feel the need to bring you 'gifts'.........and no, I don't mean those "special" gifts they leave for us to scoop off the lawn! LOL

Crowley NEEDS to bring a gift.

Example: Hubby comes home from work, Crowley sees him coming up the walk and gets excited. Crowley greets him at the door (wagging furiously and doing VERY high jumps) and then he looks around the room and grabs a 'gift' to bring to hubby. Could be a ball or an empty kong, but it could easily be a cow hoof or 1/2 eaten bully stick, just whatever is closest so he can present it to hubby like a "Welcome to my humble home" type thing! LOL

Note: Doesn't have to be hubby, could be a repeat guest or someone he's never met in his life, LOL

In AZ our dogs would leave special offerings like dead mice/lizards on the step now and then but I just figured they were done with them and left 'em for me to clean up! LOL

I have never had a 'gifter' like Crowley in all my years of having dogs and just wondered how common this is :)

milos_mommy

Milo does this occasionally, it was more frequent as a puppy, but he still does it occasionally. Definitely not every time we come home, though.

One (out of two) of my foster dogs did this.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Mime will usually grab a toy. They just think it should be playtime when people come through the door lol.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Yup, if I leave Roxie in her x-pen with a bunch of empty kongs, she will bring me a kong. Or, if there are no kongs, a toy or a bone.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Mime will usually grab a toy.
I immediately assumed you'd gotten a new dog. Cue disappointment...

Also, my hounds don't give a crap about anyone and do not present gifts. Bruce is above everyone and should be BROUGHT gifts.

Gambit considers himself the ultimate gift, so yes. He does grace me with his presence.

Glitch brought me a mutilated set of earbuds this am.

I'm lucky if Gimmick wakes up at all

MicksMom

This is exactly what Caleb does. It doesn't matter who it is, or even how long you've been gone, he brings you something. And it's not always a toy. Sometimes it's a slipper or a sock.
Example: Hubby comes home from work, Crowley sees him coming up the walk and gets excited. Crowley greets him at the door (wagging furiously and doing VERY high jumps) and then he looks around the room and grabs a 'gift' to bring to hubby. Could be a ball or an empty kong, but it could easily be a cow hoof or 1/2 eaten bully stick, just whatever is closest so he can present it to hubby like a "Welcome to my humble home" type thing! LOL...

amberdyan

Hugo doesn't really bring gifts, but if you snub him when he wants to cuddle or be pet he will sometimes bring you his favorite chew and put it at your feet Like a weird offering.

Elrohwen

Yesterday Watson got really upset when I tried to pick up his RMB (that he was ignoring) and bring it inside. Every time I tried to grab it he would pick it up and run off 20ft. But once I gave up he brought it over to me, I stuck out my hand and he placed it in my palm. I said thanks and handed it back and he seemed really pleased. Lol. What a weirdo.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Strider brings me raccoon legs. He puts them in a pile by the gate.

When we do off leash pasture walks he brings me bunnies live in hand.

And if I give him liver I have to cut it into tiny cubes or he'll spend two hours licking all the flavor off, then he'll bring it over and put it in my lap. Whyy???

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Tulsa and Iggy are really the only two toy freaks. Tulsa will grab one when overstimulated, but not necessarily to gift us. Iggy will attempt to "gift" you/con you with a ball when he comes back inside from potty breaks.

This is Maisy, all the way.

Toast will grab stuff when he's excited, but he doesn't always "gift" it. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Tbh right now I'm happy if the teenage malinois is grabbing something other than me, I don't care if he keeps it. ;)

FG167

Kastle always always does this. With anyone he will carry a toy around when they come over. With me, he will leave it with me as a "gift". I have woken up from a nap and found his stuffed shark laying on the pillow next to me. Kastle was sleeping on the floor next to the couch, it totally melts my heart. I also find them sometimes outside the bathroom door after I shower, like "Kastle was here".

Every single dog will do this in the yard when they are excited. Even Eden :)

ACooper

Some of these posts are cracking me up! LOL

And it's pretty common then?....huh, I must have gotten stingy dogs all my life then! hahaha

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Victor is very much a gifter. Back when he could have rawhides when he got it to it's gooey soft state he would present it to you with the utmost sincerity. Mary too always found something for a new guest and if they didnt' take it from her she would tuck it in the crook of their arm.

thehoundgirl

Dixie does all the time. Whether when it's when you come home or get up in the morning.. she greets you with a toy and is very vocal lol. She's done it since she was a puppy and it's never changed! She's one very happy dog! :D

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
lol Kitty does this, but its not a gift, she wont give it to you, and wont let you take it. She just wants to carry something around while wagging and looking pleased. I dunno, showing off? its so silly but i wish i knew exactly what it was.:rofl1:

Members online