At what age did you first let your dog have the house while you were gone?

krissy

Summit was 5 and a half when we got him, and had been crate free for about 2 years already in a previous home. He was our first dog and we rented so we crated him for about 3 months until we got to know him, and thereafter we gated him in our bedroom. He didn't care for the floor in the rest of the apartment anyway, so we never opened up the rest of the house. When we moved to a new place we gave him full run.

Kili is 2 and a half and still in a crate when we go out. She probably would be mostly ok, but I don't quite trust her and she loves her crate... so why not?

I think Sam was around 2 when I decided he could have run of the house. Sometimes he gets a wild hair and drags stuff around the house but usually it's my fault for not picking it up, but he doesn't destroy anything except his stuffies so I don't really care. He doesn't eat them or anything.

Wilson is 9 months old and he could probably be left loose but I don't 100% trust him with our cat yet and he's going through a phase where he needs to bother Sam all the time so I don't leave them alone together. Probably wouldn't destroy anything though and I'd say he's house trained by now. I leave him loose by himself in my room sometimes and he does fine.

I can't recall exact age on Knarly but was before 2 years.

Ro was approx 6 months [chows rock this category]

Ripley, not yet...though he got out when I was gone last week and I was pleasantly surprised to find he had not destroyed one thing or had any accidents [though he's pretty solid on housebreaking]. He was just at door wiggle wagging away, "Oh. Hello." Not to the point I'm ready to leave him out just yet though, but it may be sooner than I thought.

I do gate Knar and Ro off from each other however. I don't as a rule have issues with fighting, but it's just not worth risking [Knar would have no shot and it wouldn't take much to seriously hurt him]. I may let the bigger boys hang together when Rip is to that point, but that's yet to be seen.

Members online

No members online now.