Help with housetraining - sort of...

Elzz

Hi all

This is my first time to your forum and I am also a first time pet owner, well my wife and I. We have a fairly new mixed breed that we saved from a shelter. She is approx. 6 months old and has been doing OK with crate training. We had her to the point where she usually lets us know when she needs to go outside. We would take her on the leash to her spot in the woods and she usually knows what to do. The problem came sbout when we had the yard fenced in. On nice days we will leave the back door open and she can come in and out as she wishes. She never "goes" inside the house under these circumstances, however, how do we get her to continue to go to her spot in the woods when she is running free rather than wherever in the yard she wishes. I would rather not have landmines around the yard. We tried to continue to take her on the leash to do her business but she still is going wherever she wants in the yard while she is free. i have actually had times when I took her on the leash and she wouldnt go...until minutes later when she was out in the yard again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

She's doing the natural thing for a dog - using "her" territory as you defined it when you fenced it (a wonderful thing - good for you).

I've never really tried to convince a dog not to go in the yard, although my German Shepherds always went back into the bushes or to the perimeter, which was greatly appreciated. The Filas don't. They go where the spirit moves them. I'd be a bit worried about trying to train her not to use the yard, as it might confuse her about where she should and shouldn't go, which might result in her thinking she's supposed to use the house. That's a problem you just don't want.

Sorry I wasn't more help . . .

Elzz

That's OK. Thanks for the input, I never thought of it possibly being a bad thing to accomplish. I will take it into consideration and maybe look into it a little more before I try to go any further. Thanks again.

Hi,
Welcome to chazhound!
It might confuse her if you ever have to take her on vacations or any where other than your house she might not know wher to go beczuse there is not that same wood area at that new place.
If i where i would try to catch her when she is doing her business i nthe yard and tell her AHH AHH firmly and put her leash and bring her to her spot in the woods even if she doesnt have to still just to let her no this is wher she needs to go.
Hope thsi helps :)

Elzz

Hi

Thanks. That is pretty much what I have been doing. Taking her on the leash when it is time for her to go, but that sounds good, I will also take her over there if I catch her in the act. Hopefully after a little time....

Hi,

Its great that your dog do the business outside. I m worried about mine who do it in my house. It does in the specific place. I noted down the timings he want to pop, at the same time I took him outside to do its business, but in vain. I took him to the bushes for more than ½ hr, but he didn’t do. I thought that he don’t want to, so I brought him back to my house, but suddenly he ran away to his place and did his business.

Is there any other way to improve him in his way?

Thanks
-Nilesh

First, get all the smell off of his place. Whatever you do, don't use ammonia, though, as there is ammonia in urine and this will attract him more. You can get cleaners and deodorizers at most pet supply stores that do a good job. You can also get deterrent sprays, although it will probably be more effective just to move (temporarily) a piece of furniture so that it sets on his favorite spot.

When he goes in the house, make him give you your belly, as I described in the other thread you posted about biting.

I think this may actually be more of the dominance issue, telling you he will go where he wants, and getting this issue under control may very well solve most of the problem.

German Shepherds are typically very intelligent and they seem to get a kick out of trying to outmaneuver us sometimes. I've had GSDs ever since I was 12 years old and they really keep you on your toes, although compared to the Filas I now have as well, the GSDs are soooo easy to deal with! Actually, I depend on Bimmer to help keep the girls in line!

Members online

No members online now.