Pit Boss

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Sometimes I would almost rather clean up someone else's mess in class or our retail areas, they never seem to be as careful as I am. I do notice some people will stand there like oh if I don't bring attention to it it never happened. lol ummm.... Not working....

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Are psych dogs considered service dogs? I have been told to possibly consider a pet I can take out with me for my anxiety and agoraphobia. I really doubt I would qualify for a specially trained dog, but I wasn't aware until now that they can be trained by the handler and not just a special facility (am I understanding that correctly or no?). Honestly I even considered a ferret as a psych pet. I know how stupid that must sound but I've seen much stranger service animals; mini horses, pigs, parrots, monkeys. I dunno maybe it wouldn't even help at all.
The only animal that can be a service animal is a Dog and in some cases a miniature horse, though they aren't really protected by the ADA. Visit the Service Dog thread for more info: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246308

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Are psych dogs considered service dogs? I have been told to possibly consider a pet I can take out with me for my anxiety and agoraphobia. I really doubt I would qualify for a specially trained dog, but I wasn't aware until now that they can be trained by the handler and not just a special facility (am I understanding that correctly or no?). Honestly I even considered a ferret as a psych pet. I know how stupid that must sound but I've seen much stranger service animals; mini horses, pigs, parrots, monkeys. I dunno maybe it wouldn't even help at all.
Years ago any animal and dogs without tasks, aside from comfort and confidence, we're considered a grey area. No one wanted to tighten the laws but it started feeling out of control. Store owners were uncomfortable and people were unsure of their boundaries and thus boundaries both accidentally and purposefully were being abused. Now things have been clarified slightly that service animals must be dogs and limited allowance for mini horses, they must also be task oriented and must do more than the basics of "gives me security to leave the house" aka emotional support. Laws are continually being reexamined and this the stress and debate in this thread.

A dog that helps you leave the house may be very useful, however the law requires that dog be task oriented beyond emotional support. Talk to a doctor, you will find more answers about if your personal story is best benefited by a dog or not.

I should add, interestingly enough, some with social anxieties such as finding attention and confrontation scary are often slightly thrown off with the use of a dog.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Thank you for that explanation! Aside from my extreme dizzy spells I often get where I'll have to quickly get myself in a safe position so I don't blackout and hurt myself (mostly unrelated to my anxiety unless it happens as a result of a panic attack) I don't really need any real tasks performed. I was just wondering about that because I didn't know what psych dogs do, beyond just essentially providing that comfort and security. I'm sure when we do get a dog, it will end up benefitting me regardless, anyway. My agoraphobia is getting better now that I've settled in more here, luckily.

Getting pretty antsy not having a dog again, though.

Flyinsbt

Thank you for that explanation! Aside from my extreme dizzy spells I often get where I'll have to quickly get myself in a safe position so I don't blackout and hurt myself (mostly unrelated to my anxiety unless it happens as a result of a panic attack) I don't really need any real tasks performed. I was just wondering about that because I didn't know what psych dogs do, beyond just essentially providing that comfort and security. I'm sure when we do get a dog, it will end up benefitting me regardless, anyway. My agoraphobia is getting better now that I've settled in more here, luckily.

Getting pretty antsy not having a dog again, though.
You can have an "emotional support animal", with a note from your doctor, that would allow your dog to fly with you in an airplane, or live in "no dogs" housing. It's not quite the same thing as a service dog, though, since it has no tasks to perform, it wouldn't be allowed in other areas where dogs are prohibited.

Members online

No members online now.