Corrections or Praise?

I just want to say that I am generally opposed to physically correcting your dog by spanking or whatever. I just don't think that it is necessary, when usually just a snap of the fingers or a "no" will do. I really like the dog whisperers techniques and I think that he is amazing with dogs. That's generally the approach that I take. However, I have been seeing a lot of people lately promoting "no-negative" training. This technique considers any sort of correction to be a punishment and they suggest using no corrections whatsoever and only using positive reinforcement when your dog is doing the right thing. I am not opposed to this technique, but I am wondering how effective this could be. It seems that this method would take a lot longer for your dog to catch on. Also, I wonder what you are supposed to do if your dogs are fighting if you are not to correct them? Does anyone have any experience training with this method, and is it effective?

adojrts

What the CM does is out dated and abusive, that isn't dog training and his overall FAILURE rate is 67%. Most dog trainers that make a living at it couldn't survive with kind of failure.

Been there, done that with corrections, got smarter, learned a bunch of stuff and have a high rate of success.

Here is an interesting link about compulsion training and keep in mind that CM admits to using shock collars among other things.

http://www.shotgunlife.com/wingshoo...ert-milner-says-heck-no-to-shock-collars.html

Do a simple google search, anti or against CM and you'll find a ton of excellent information as to why it doesn't work and how Positive Reinforcement does.

Don't have time for a long post but no, most dogs are not going to work for "praise". That means pretty much nothing to most. They WILL work and learn by being rewarded.

adojrts

Here is a nice little vid of how it works :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn1xmUzi0ak

Agree with Greenmajick. Plus praise ONLY works when it becomes a marker that the dog isn't going to get a correction or shock. So yeah those dogs can be very happy at that moment but not for the right reasons and the compliance is often unreliable. There is a reason that police dogs, SAR (search and rescue) and other service dogs are now trained with rewards.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I train my dogs by using valuable rewards for them. For mine, that's generally food. I do use some verbal corrections here and there but not when doing real 'training' just in everyday life. Praise is pretty useless for most dogs.

Also, I wonder what you are supposed to do if your dogs are fighting if you are not to correct them?
This is not a situation where you would be training. You're doing disaster maintenance at that point. If my dogs are fighting, I am going to do whatever needs to be done to get them apart. That's not a punishment, that's just me trying to prevent the dogs from hurting each other. They're all over aroused anyways.... again not much training going on there.

Does anyone have any experience training with this method, and is it effective?
I use mostly positive (probably enough to be considered a 'positive trainer' by most people) training and it works very well for my dogs and what I desire out of them. We do scentwork and agility and I want happy dogs that want to play the training game.

Members online

No members online now.