Mushing terms

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Figured i may confuse some of you at times with my off the wall terms so heres an overveiw,

Basket: the main body of a sled, where passengers or gear may be carried.

Booties: slippers for dogs, worn while working under certain conditions to prevent ice forming between their toes. Made of a wide range of fabrics, including fleece and Gore-tex

Brushbow: the curved piece out in front of the main body of a sled, used to keep brush and stuff like that from ruining the sled.

Dog Bag: a fabric bag carried on a race sled, used to put a sick or injured dog into in order to carry him to a place where he can be cared for. Some carries them on their back I carry mine on the back of my sled.

Dog Box: a carrier for several dogs, most often seen as a wooden structure in the bed of a pickup truck. My dad owns three trucks used for this one is mien and just stays at their place and the other is a backup and the third is his all homemade.

Driving Bow: the handle that the musher holds on to - also called a Handlebow.

Easy!: the command I use for the dogs to slow down.

Gangline: the main line that the dogs and sled are attached to.

Gee - the command for the dogs to turn right.

Harness: I think its pretty self explanitory :rolleyes:

Haw - the command for the dogs to turn left.

Hike! - the command to get the dog team moving.

Lead Dogs: the dog or dogs in the front of a team. These dogs are noted for their high level of intelligence and drive, and are often females. May be run as Single lead (1 dog) or Double lead (2 dogs). I run Tracker as my lead dog but have seen many teams with female lead dogs and i may someday try that.

Musher: to define myself a person who drives a sled dog team - also called a Dog Driver. Can be male or female ;)

Neckline: a short line (10-12 inches) attached to the Harness and Gangline, that keeps the dog in line.

On By!: the command to go by another team or other distraction. Doesent always work :rolleyes:

Pedaling: pushing with one foot while keeping the other on the sled. I do alot of this going up hill and it is killer when on a long run race.

Point Dogs - used by some mushers to denote the two dogs right behind the Lead Dogs.

Rigging: all the gear used to attach dogs to a sled.

Runners: I think you all know this one too

Safety Line: an extra line from the Gangline to the sled, in case the main fitting breaks.

Snow Hook: a large metal hook that can be driven into firm snow to anchor a team for a short period of time without tying them. Once again doesent always work actually 99 percent of the time it doesent work :rolleyes: .

Snub Line: a rope attached to the back of the sled, which can be tied to a tree to hold the team when the snow is not firm enough to use a Snow Hook. This works if you tie it tight enough.

Run: or stakeout a main chain with separate short chains to attache several dogs to. May be strung between the front and back bumpers of a truck, or between two trees.

Stanchions: the upright pieces that attach the runners to a sled.

Swing Dogs: those between the Point Dogs and the Wheel Dogs.

Tack: harnesses

Team Dogs: all dogs other than the Lead Dogs, Point Dogs, Swing Dogs and Wheel Dogs.

Toboggan: a sled with a flat bottom instead of runners. Used when deep, soft snow is expected instead of a good trail. I own two and they work well.

Tuglines: the main line that connects the dog's harness to the Gangline - the line that the dog tugs on.

Wheel Dogs: the two dogs right in front of the sled. These will normally be the heaviest dogs in the team.

Whoa: the command to get the dog team to stop. Works thank god lol

Just thought i would let you all know lol

I'm just a little confused on something -

You describe the Swing dogs as the dogs between the Point dogs and the Wheel dogs and the Team dogs as all the others.

Okay, starting from the front and working back to the sled you have the Lead dogs, then Point dogs, then the Swing dogs, right? Then the Team dogs in pairs back to the Wheel dogs? Or are the Swing dogs somewhere in the middle of the pairs of Team dogs to "swing" the turns?

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Renee750il said:
I'm just a little confused on something -

You describe the Swing dogs as the dogs between the Point dogs and the Wheel dogs and the Team dogs as all the others.

Okay, starting from the front and working back to the sled you have the Lead dogs, then Point dogs, then the Swing dogs, right? Then the Team dogs in pairs back to the Wheel dogs? Or are the Swing dogs somewhere in the middle of the pairs of Team dogs to "swing" the turns?
Right their all in pairs except for the lead dog

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i got an idea..why don't you tape your stories...make an audio book and i'll buy a copy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you'll get rich and can buy loads of land and have dog rescue and i can design the cover of your next volume!

moe

Love4pits do u always work your dogs in snow or do you sometimes use a wheeled rig, over here we dont get that much snow so mostly have to use the wheeled type.

mo

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Lol sounds like i good deal to me smkie

Moe yeah i do have wheeled rigs for spring and summer or when there simply is'nt enough snow to sled on. i also own a atv that I sometimes hooked the dogs up too as well.

Members online

No members online now.