Help! vets refuse home visit!

hedwig

This thread is about my sick cat!

He has always been a sickly cat from the word go. We had him and his sister given too us by a friend who lost her home about 18 monthes ago.

He has always vomited once a day. We took him to the vets and he has been on various meds all have failed.

This past 2-3 monthes have been hell for him. He has started vomiting 3 times a day. Very lethargic and sleeps 22 hours a day.

The vets meds did nothing for him. Anyway this past 2 weeks he has had conjuntivitis in one eye. We took him to the vets. They gave him an antibiotic jab thatlasts 2 weeks and some eye drops. Plus the old e collar.

The eye looked to of healed so i took the e collar off and within seconds he scratched it all open again. And now its not healing.

About 2 days after the antibiotic jab he has severe runs. I have to clean his e collar as he wearing alot of his waste. Mop the floors. Even butching my curtains as he had smeared it in waste.

Yesterday he didnt eat or drink but carried on vomiting.

yesterday night something very strange happened to him. He came to sit with us in the living room. He looked like he didnt have any energy. After about 5 mins he shook his head like he wanted to vomit. We put him in the cat room where he sat heaving and struglling to breath, drooling and shaking and went all floopy.

I picked him up and he sounded like a hot water bottle. My first thought was god he was aspired his vomit as he continued to struggle to breath and sounded very rattly. We wrapped him up in a towel and gave him heat. Decided against the vet at this stage as we thought he would slip away there and then.

Went to check on him about 5 mins later and when i pet him his breathing was normal and he started to purr of all things 0.0

Decided to see how he did over night.

This morning i woke up to his bum being very mucky so needed to bath him and then hairdry him bum.

He looks like he drank some water but it was in a mucasy puddle of vomit. I think he ate a hand full of kibble.

Rang my nearist vet and they told me they wanted £500 to see him (we had to take him about 30 miles away if we did that aswell) I dont hink he would live the trip. As well as £500? Who has that sorta money on a sunday? Who can just pluck that outa the air?

So rang my other local vets. Very snottily she told us because we was using the other vets and not them they would refuse to treat him!

So now I have a very sick cat and no way to help him till tomorrow at the earlyest!

The thing is with this cat is he has a severe stress disorder. So i have to manage this with Feliway calming collars (rather expensive), when he not wearing one he hides constantly and behaves like a wild animal. With the collar on he does nothing but beat my other cat up so his life is basically being locked up in one room for the rest of his life.

I have also tried every rescue in the lands and they are full to the rafters. I have tried to rehome him privately but because his stress needs to be managed nobody wants him!

So my questions are................. How can i make him confortable till tomrrow? IF he had a seizure last night was that caused by the anti biotics? Or his other ailments? The antis are causing the runs but How can i prevent this? He is also vomiting anything he eats or drinks. Is there anything i could give him for this?

Another concern i have is............Is it worth saving him? I cannot allow him loose in my house as i have two cats fighting. I canot rehome him as nobody wants him and he is very sick and requires ALOT of tests done. And no garentee he will get better anyway.

If he does get better then he still going to live his life locked away on his own. Nobody has a bond with him in my home, that includes my other cat, my OT and myself.

My main goal is to prevent or prolong his suffering. I love him. But i dont like him. I will do anything in my power to make him well and confortable but i dont no what to do! The vets wont come to see him!

Is there anything i can do today till i can see the vets tommorrow?

HELP!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Has he been tested for FIV/FELV? Has he had any bloodwork done at all?

Those would be my first steps. FIV/FELV testing, then a full chemistry panel. That should show if he has anything wonky going on that he needs specific medication for.

Honestly, I'd probably stop the antibiotics until you can get him into the vet, just so he isn't having diarrhea. He'll need a different antibiotic. Next, make sure stays hydrated and gets some kind of calories in him to keep his energy level up. This may mean sub-Q fluids, or syringe feeding water/moist food.

Figuring out what is wrong and treating him won't be cheap. I don't know the equivalent in pounds, but at my local vet just the tests and initial visit would be about $250. Fluids and subsequent medications would be even more. You could easily be looking at a $500 bill when all is said and done, especially if he has to be hospitalized to get him stable.

crazedACD

:( I'm very sorry, it sounds like a mess.

If you can afford it I would look into the bloodwork and try to figure out what's going on. Try to make him comfortable today until you can get into the vets.

When he was vomiting before yesterday, was it only after he ate?

If it's not something you can pursue (financially or emotionally) I would definitely help him along with euthanasia.

spiffy

This is a catch 22 situation. I admire you though for the concern you are showing for the poor cat. Sending lots of vibes for him. Don't feel bad if you do decide to opt for euthanasia. You certainly have done your good deed for the cat.

hedwig

Im absolutely GOBSMACKED! Not only is he eating and drinking again but his eye has improved a little and he isnt vomiting anymore. He still has the runs alittle.

Im feeding him raw with added water atm trying to help hydrate him up. He is gobling it up so no problems!

I think im just going to have to accept that im gonna have to keep and manage him, done to him being sickly and when he gets to the point where he too sick, call it a day with him.

But its looking alot better for him. He is BOUNDING around in the mornings now.

I cannot believe how much he has improved since saturday. He was literally at deathes door.

STUNNED

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
That's great, but I hope you've taken him to the vet as well - there could be an underlying, treatable condition at play here.

Grab

Ditto the above post.

I don't know that I would call intermittent vomiting 'sickly'. What is the normal food you feed? If my cats get a hold of any food involving corn (or, as we learned when a pet sitter ran out of food because Fatty McGee cats raided the bin, god forbid colors) I have a puke fest in my house. Puke. Everywhere. If you regularly feed kibble,you might try a food with limited ingredients. If you feed raw, perhaps a different protein source.

I would gather that the diarrhea is due to the antibiotic injection, if it just started afterwards. This is not uncommon in humans or animals. You might try a probiotic if he's eating normally again.

The lethargy and drooling incident sounds almost like an allergic reaction or as if he got a hold of something. Particularly with the drooling. No way to know this without being there/ vet exam though.

Since he is now up and about, it would be a fine time to get him in for a blood panel and exam. Taking him in when he is not acting ill will reduce the bill, as you won't be paying for fluids, etc.

thehoundgirl

I am glad he seems to be doing better, but I would take him to the vet still to do tests to find out what's wrong with him.

hedwig

He has not been tested for that no.

The two cats are strictly indoor cats so the likely hood they have eaten something bad is very low.

Rogue is also alergic to grains so he is on porta 21 sensible which is about 80% meat the rest is herbs including slipery elm. No grains. There are no plants in my house or anything dangerous he could eat.

The problem i have is, should i have the cat tested when he doesnt have a home afterwards. He might still end up pts regardless of being sick because the home i have isnt suitable for him and is making his stress condition worse.

Would you catch a stray to make it better so you can then release it back where it came from where it will slowly go downhill again?

The next step at the vets is bloodtests and my vets are a rip off and not sympathetic to my cats needs at all and he gets sicker (from stress) after a visit to them. This alone is going to cost £110. for two types of bloodtests. Even the vet admited, it could cost the earth to try to find out what is wrong with him and we may never even find it. all the while theses tests go on he gets sicker from the stress of being put through it. And then i may have to pts because no home is available for him? Sorry but why put him through it?

As long as he is confortable and he is looking like he is getting better.

I have already said this cats condition is caused from stress by living in a multicat household. The vet has already told me this. And my cats DO NOT LIKE EACH OTHER. I really wish they did. but sadly rogue cannot stay here as its making him worse

YodelDogs

Sometimes frequent vomitting is caused when a cat cannot fully pass a hairball. If the cat is blocked by a hairball internally, he may only be able to pass liquid or soft stool. Does the cat usually have normal stools? Do you ever give him hairball remedy? It's inexpensive and can be found at most pet supply stores.

Members online

No members online now.