Why does shadow always try to lick my face?

Why do dogs try to lick people's faces?

Shadow does it to me every day, especially when i come home from work. Why do they do this? Is it a dominant act? I've always let shadow do this before because I thought it was cute, however, its now become less cute when at 4.30 in the morning she's waking me up by slobbering all over my face. And she tries to do it to guests aswell, I dont have a problem with her giving them "kisses", but obviously not everyone enjoys these.

Im going to try and stop her doing this, or at least stop her giving me kisses on the face, maybe on my hand, I love it when she's affectionate, but sometimes its like shes trying to clean my face, she'll put her paw on my face to hold me still! I dont want her thinking she's responsible for grooming me!

Is she trying to show me she's boss by licking me, or just being affectionate? I really dont want to give out the wrong signals, she's very obidient with everything else, but I dont wnat to undo all the hard work I've put in training her, by letting her give me kisses.

Any advice?

Athe

For dogs licking the face is a greeting and a sign of affection. When observed many pups will lick their mothers mouths (some people say for wild dogs it is to encourage the mother to regurgitate her food). It is usually used as a sign of greeting. I allow my dogs to greet me when I come home, but, I try to give them default behaviors to use instead of licking (I always think where they have been sticking those tongues...).
So, perhaps in the future teach your dog a new way to greet you...instead of licking you in the morning, teach your dog to lay beside you and roll over for a belly rub...this is what I taught my dogs when they get too excited they just love to squirm onto their backs to get belly rubs....this is a sign of affection from me. At the door when coming home, have your dog sit down and you make of your dog. Encourage friends and family to do the same. It takes awhile, but, you can find a new default behavior for greetings and affection. It is very confusing for most puppies to be encouraged to do one thing when they are puppies, then have it frowned apon when they become adults...this is one of the reasons most trainers state that whatever you allow your pup to do, make sure it's something you can live with as an adult. It's confusing for a behavior to be praised and then all of a sudden it's something the owner gets mad over. Just slowly try to teach and praise a new behavior and get up and walk away when licking starts...or pull the covers over your head. :D

Members online

No members online now.