Greyhound Puppy Possibility-Pros/Cons

Ok people, I need help making a decision. This is not a "Just tell me to get the puppy because puppy thread" this is a "Please give me realistic opinions"

I've been in contact with a greyhound breeder I really like for awhile now. Hobby breeder, contract I like, against early altering (and ok with not altering/alternative altering), has AKC registerable dogs but also does stuff with her dogs, puppies have gone on (or dogs have come from) OB/Rally titled dogs, great temperaments and pretty much what I was looking for in a greyhound.

She's also breeding her last litter soon (as in as soon as her female comes into heat and is already a little late).

So here it is, I need to decide if I want to add a greyhound puppy now or wait and find another breeder I like with dogs I like and a contract I can stomach.

Pros

• My initial want of a greyhound stems from really liking having a large, lower key, cuddle dog that can take or leave exercise but still be up for it when I want to go do something. This was to fill Kaylee's shoes but be a better fit for me than Kaylee is. Kaylee is getting close to the end here and I really really miss having her to cuddle with (She is more comfortable on her memory foam bed than in my bed anymore), like, I miss it a real lot.

• It'll be fun training a greyhound puppy, make me a better trainer and see what we can do together without the pressure of NEEDING to title and prove the dog like I will with a Koolie.

• It'll be a nice space out from now until I import my next Koolie in about three years.

• My family is on board. My sister would love to have a dog to do some stuff with that isn't as intense as the Koolie's or as focused on me. She would love an easier going dog to take for a walk that isn't either staring creepily at her or trying to make everything GO FASTER.

• A puppy is perfect because it would allow me to really train him and TRY to do some disc (greyhound doing disc! Could be so fun!) and help me grow as a trainer.

• If I get this job (FINGERS CROSSED) at the training place I can bring a dog with me and that's great experience.

• I'm used to three dogs and like it.

• It's a greyhound so even though it'll be a puppy the intensity and amount of dog will be less than Didgie or Traveler. More easy going.

• It would be nice to have a dog to bring with each Koolie. I don't bring Traveler and Didgie together because they do nothing by halves (AKA, I suck at manners) but when a grey is grown it will hopefully be a tad more polite and easier to pair with a Koolie when I go places.

• It's a puppy. I love puppies.

Cons

• Winter Puppy

• Three younger dogs. Didgie will be a couple months shy of 2 years old, Traveler will be a few months shy of 4. That puts a two year spacing between each dog.

• Another dog to train and work with. Both a pro and a con. More time to dedicate, stretched more thin.

• They're large, not really a huge con but something to consider.

• While I've had three dogs for awhile, Kaylee has been sick for awhile and hasn't been going out places and being what an active younger dog would be while having two other active younger dogs.

• It's a puppy. No matter what he'll be like as an adult he won't be one, he'll be a puppy that needs to be house broken and played with.

Uncertainties

• I don't know how it will be with three younger dogs. I just don't. Part of me feels I can do it, I love training and working with the dogs. It's never felt like a chore. I am excited by the idea of being able to work with a dog that is going to be more of a challenge, make me work differently.

• But again, it's three dogs. But I don't want to wait until I would be importing another Koolie and I seriously seriously feel empty when Kaylee can't cuddle with me. It's going to be such a hole when she's gone and I'm dreading it.

Honestly, I think my biggest problem is wondering if I jump in but regret it later.

So, thoughts anyone? Help?

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I'm going to say go for it.

Last year, I had 4 dogs who were 4 or under, plus Shadow who was 10. Em was 4, Copper 3, Bloo 1.5-2, Deke 10mo-18 mo. It got a little crazy sometimes, but I definitely don't regret it. It really helped me learn to manage my time and grow as a trainer and owner. I was training Deke to be a service dog, working with Em and Bloo on sport stuff, and messing around with training Copper. I, personally, really enjoy the crazy. Absolutely love it. I'm imagining that when I'm an adult, I'll likely get/have dogs 3ish years apart.

If you don't feel you're in the position to commit to it, don't do it. If you want to do it, do it. You can handle it.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think it will just depend on what you want. I'm sure you would be able to give the pup what it needs.

For me... I don't want my dogs spaced closely in age. I want 5-6 years between ideally. It is very fun while they are young but once they get older it can be rough. We've had multiple seniors needing medication before. Right now even though our two 9 year olds and 8 year old are healthy, they've slowed down quite a bit. I also know I don't want more than three dogs ever so having three close in age would mean no more dogs for me for a long time. And if you want to compete you're looking at foundations on a lot of dogs at the same time. A friend of mine has three dogs three and under and it's rough. I'd prefer to really have one young dog to work on and then have one or two others that are easy. An hopefully spacing dogs out enough you can always have a very active competing dog. Of course you never really know.

There is also the problem that I you really don't think you will have this opportunity again then that is something to consider.

Dunno really but just my thoughts. Idk how Traveler is already 4 but then again Mia is 4... How the heck does that happen.

Last edited:

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Linds I say go for it. I am thinking you might regret it if you don't go for it, especially once Kaylee is gone and there is a hole that needs to be filled. Not that you will be replacing her, but sometimes heartache is stilled by a puppy. And I feel that you are the kind of person that can take on another puppy and it seems you want to take on the challenge and are ready to do so.

You are used to the three dog dynamic so you would be able to easily adjust. Plus, hello Grey puppy. To cuddle. Although, Winter puppy does kinnda suck. It is not that bad. I did winter puppy with Mitsu and it was not the end of the world. Just get puppy a fully body winter jacket lol.

I should add you have more pro's than con's which is pretty much proof that you need said grey puppy.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I think it will just depend on what you want. I'm sure you would be able to give the pup what it needs.

For me... I don't want my dogs spaced closely in age. I want 5-6 years between ideally. It is very fun while they are young but once they get older it can be rough. Weve had multiple seniors needing medication before. Right now wven though our two 9 year olds and 8 year old are healthy, theyve slowed down quite a bit. I also know I don't want more than three dogs ever so having three close in age would mean no more dogs for me for a long time. And if you want to compete you're looking at foundations on a lot of dogs at the same time. A friend of mine has three dogs three and under and it's rough. I'd prefer to really have one young dog to work on and then have one or two others that are easy. An hopefully spacing dogs out enough you can always have a very active competing dog. Of course you never really know.

There is also the problem that I you really don't think you will have this opportunity again then that is something to consider.

Dunno really but just my thoughts. Idk how Traveler is already 4 but then again Mia is 4... How the eck does that happen.
Pretty much this.

Not even thinking now... but I think it's definitely worth it to think about in the future. The three of them will be getting old together, really. I had 3 senior pets at a time. I lost 1 of them, 2 of them probably won't see the end of the year, and I lost a not-quite-senior due to a freak accident. It sucks. Majorly. Not only does the heartbreak suck, but any cushion I had, is gone, due to caring for them. Obviously, that part is whatever, but it's something.

So yah, it's definitely something to keep in mind. And I know that **** happens, and it's not a guarentee just having them close(ish) in age, but best case scenario, they'd all be getting to where they're considered old together.

But, if you keep that in mind, and are prepared to deal with it, then I think you've already made up your mind that you really would like one. Sure, the timing may not be *perfect* but, well, it's never really going to be perfect. There will always be something. Especially since this is really your last chance getting a pup from this breeder, that you like so much.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Linds I say go for it. I am thinking you might regret it if you don't go for it, especially once Kaylee is gone and there is a hole that needs to be filled. Not that you will be replacing her, but sometimes heartache is stilled by a puppy. And I feel that you are the kind of person that can take on another puppy and it seems you want to take on the challenge and are ready to do so.

You are used to the three dog dynamic so you would be able to easily adjust. Plus, hello Grey puppy. To cuddle. Although, Winter puppy does kinnda suck. It is not that bad. I did winter puppy with Mitsu and it was not the end of the world. Just get puppy a fully body winter jacket lol.

I should add you have more pro's than con's which is pretty much proof that you need said grey puppy.
^This. I think you should go with it. It can be very difficult to find a breeder that fits all the needs and you said it yourself that she produces great dogs.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I don't really have a do it/don't do it stance, but just some things to consider:

-- Finding living arrangements gets a lot harder when you jump from two to three, especially if one or more are big dogs (though for many housing folks, the Koolies would count as big anyway).

-- Having three young dogs is fun. Having three middle-ish dogs is fun but worrisome. Having three old dogs...well I'm not there yet but you've witnessed my puppy dilemmas over the last year, mostly due to that very issue. And with the grey hound as the youngest of your three with the lowest life expectancy, you've looking at a really rough couple of years down the line.

-- Limiting future dog choices. Greypuppy may be a less needy low key dude but he still will take time, food, vetting, etc. Any dog is a big resource committment, even a healthy chill one that doesn't compete. Change one or more of those factors to the other type, and that cost skyrockets.

That said it's a great opportunity and I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you proceed. And it should be said I've had the weekend from hell so am probably prone to focusing on the possible downsides than usual.

joce

With loosing two dogs in the same year and a third being fourteen I will not have that many young dogs at the same time again. I figure two more years and we will add a dobe again. Blitz will be sixish.

Of course when I was getting all my dogs fourteen or so years ago no one could have told me not to!! I loved them all, its just been a tough couple of years :(

I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do, but if it were me I'd snap up a puppy from this breeder. None of the cons are insurmountable obstacles for a dog owner like you, IMO. And the winter puppy thing isn't really all that bad, or at least it's not as bad as it seems like it would be.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It's pretty close in age, IMO, but you have a strong support system and if the job pans out taking pups to work makes a huge difference.

I don't mind my dogs being old together, I am off set that I actually prefer it. It hurts me to know Shamoo is alone now when we go do things with the youngin, she was never loose with him but being near Arnold seemed to comfort me.

It's middle age that can be tough, two dogs trialing is fine but three for one handler? That's a lot to ask by way of training, timing, & costs.

I do like this younger dog raising a pup, Shamoo can't do anything for Phelan when it comes to teaching boundaries and tiring him with good fun but Sloan is a champion at this.

In the end follow your gut, you'll hit a point you question your choice once in a while but in the end I'm sure you'll love the dog no matter what.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
I also think you should go for this puppy.

This puppy will not be nearly as intense as your merle monsters :)

All the greyhounds I have ever met were sweet and low key, even as puppies and younger dogs.

As for your worries juggling time and needs with three young dogs...I think that you will just fall into it and adjust as needed. I remember how you worried about adjusting to having Didgie and Traveler before she arrived. Look how fantastic that turned out... :)

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do, but if it were me I'd snap up a puppy from this breeder. None of the cons are insurmountable obstacles for a dog owner like you, IMO. And the winter puppy thing isn't really all that bad, or at least it's not as bad as it seems like it would be.
I should also add I do regret not taking a pup from a previous litter. People said the right pup will come along when you're ready but I'm not sure I buy it. If its an ideal breeding jump on it.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
On the other hand I brought home Mira knowing it was sooner than ideal but simply unable to pass up the litter and her. And I have never for a second regretted it, even with the tradeoffs of three similarly aged active dogs, even with all our moves, even knowing the future is going to have its rough patches. I knew then and I know now that she is perfect for me and exactly what I was and am looking for, and which I may never have again. And that absolute certainty can carry you through just about anything.

If you know...if you're prepared (or prepared enough :))...then really the decision's made and you just need to figure out a name :)

Katem

The gap between Pig and Badger is only 2 years. Sometimes that worries me, sometimes it doesn’t. I have never had multiple dogs close together in age, so I’ve never had to deal with losing them one right after the other. Maybe my thought process will change if/when I ever experience that, but right now I’m not going to put off getting the right young dog/puppy because I currently have young dogs (hypothetically, I have no intentions of adding another dog right now). I also loving having a dog who is still very much in a puppy mindset as far as playing goes. Watching Pig and Badger play is pretty much the best thing ever.

I’m of the mind set that thinks a low key, mellower dog compliments speed freak crack monkeys very well. So I would say go for it. Especially since it sounds like you would be having some level of help from your sister. Also, going from training Pig to training Badger has been such an unbelievably fun/challenging learning experience, so I think the training pro could carry a lot of weight.

If you like the breeder and it's the last litter,from the bitch,you like,then,go for it cos if you dont,you might regret it.
2 yr is,for me,the perfect space in bet. dogs!.
The older dog is trained enough,to help you,with the new pup but young enough,to enjoy each-other.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I do think spacing depends on what you are going to do with that dog. Adding a pet dog is IMO easy. Looking at trialling 3 dogs is a lot more financial and time drain. And again how many dogs you want long term? If three is your max then it may be a long long time before you are able to add another.

We have lost three dogs in one year's time and it is rough. That probably colors my opinion some. We did not really think about that much when getting our dogs so close in age. I do think its something to keep in mind and prepare for though.

There have been a lot of dogs I really like that I could make work if I wanted to but now that I'm actually getting closer to getting a dog there are still great options. Maybe even better.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I have a grown up question...

Do you live at home, and do you intend to move any time in the foreseeable future?

Because 3 not small dogs plus the wish to add a 4th is a lot to consider as a first time home owner or renter.

Just thinking down the line.

If you already have your own place, then disregard!! But it's all too easy to be comfy somewhere then realise you have to move on in a few months or years even.

Toller_08

I think that if you feel that this is kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity, and you can afford to take on another puppy not only financially but time wise as well, you should go for it. Especially because your family is on board, and when Kaylee passes, having a puppy around might help all of you.

With that said, raising three young dogs can certainly be trying. There is only an 8 month difference between Dance and Keira (luckily Dance was born acting older and wiser than she is), and only 18 months between Keira and Ripley. There were times that I felt overwhelmed and wondered what we got ourselves into, especially in regard to the Dobermans who were (and still can be) very needy in all aspects. I am much prefering the 4 year age gap between my youngest adult (Ripley) and Journey now. All of my adults are still active enough to play with her and put up with her antics, but they're all also much more level headed and don't require as much from me and are just much more relaxed in general. Raising three very young dogs at once was certainly doable, but I don't think I'd jump to do it again unless there was a certain situation where I felt I just had to have a certain puppy even if it was sooner than I really plan to (not for another 4-5 years at least). Like if a breeder whose dogs I really like might be retiring soon.

Also, I am sure you have already put thought into this. But as somebody else pointed out, seriously think about what your future living situation might be like. It's hard to find a place to live with dogs, but especially large dogs, and especially more than two. And honestly, even two is difficult unless they are two tiny dogs. I've been having trouble just casually looking for somewhere that would allow my two (and possibly Keira), who are quiet, clean and not very big in the grand scheme of things, and I've yet to have had any luck.

And also, are you absolutely sure you want four medium to large dogs in a few years if you plan to add another Koolie? And two to three high energy ones at that? I know some people love it, but it can be a lot of work, depending on the dogs involved/work hours/life situations. Just one more thing to think about. I am currently in an unforeseen living situation that is making me not really enjoy having four dogs, and I likely would not have added a fourth had I known this was where I'd be living. But I didn't know, and I'm making it work and most of the time it's just fine, but sometimes certain situations can make four dogs seem like so much more than three. Although you are right in that an adult Greyhound really shouldn't be nearly as energy consuming as Koolies, so breed certainly can make a difference here.

Everyone's opinions so far have been great, I really like hearing the different insights and experiences you all have.

-- Having three young dogs is fun. Having three middle-ish dogs is fun but worrisome. Having three old dogs...well I'm not there yet but you've witnessed my puppy dilemmas over the last year, mostly due to that very issue. And with the grey hound as the youngest of your three with the lowest life expectancy, you've looking at a really rough couple of years down the line.
This I think is my biggest worry when I think 10 years down the line.

But, that being said, I don't want to wait five years to fill my cuddle dog hole. I don't want to wait five years to add the dog that's going to be my lower key dog. I like the spacing better but that's a long time with an absence of something I very much love.

I didn't expect to have such an issue not having a less intense, larger cuddle bug of a dog that's willing to do stuff still but Kaylee being where she's at has really given me a taste of how much I don't like being without it.

Most of you guys are pretty much saying most of what I've been thinking. I just feel like I'm going to regret not jumping on this if I don't.

I have a grown up question...

Do you live at home, and do you intend to move any time in the foreseeable future?

Because 3 not small dogs plus the wish to add a 4th is a lot to consider as a first time home owner or renter.

Just thinking down the line.

If you already have your own place, then disregard!! But it's all too easy to be comfy somewhere then realise you have to move on in a few months or years even.
Yes I do, which is valid. But, that being said I live in a very supportive home. I'm moving into the basement (as cliche as that is) that is pretty much a house to itself with outdoor access.

If I get this job it's going to be a stepping stone, but it's a drop in pay from what I was making as a pharmacy technician. My family being awesome want me to be able to try to work towards that, understand that this is needed to start making connections and are more than willing to let me continue living here until something is figured out and I'm making enough. Probably helps I do all the up keep, yard work and house cleaning :rofl1:

It's something I've considered but to be honest, with the Koolies I've already made it hard to rent anywhere. I'm going to be stuck looking for a place that's dog friendly and I don't think a greyhound is going to make or break that.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
In my experience renting with two dogs under 60ish or so lbs is fairly easy to find. Not as easy as with a 30 lb or less dog but very doable. 3 dogs makes things a lot harder in my experience. I've only seen one place around here that allows 3 animals. And most the private landlords don't allow pets period. There is a huge renters market now and landlords can be picky. I was very lucky to find a pet friendly house with a yard. And the only reason I did was because the landlord was a family friend.

What is it about this greyhound breeder and line that you don't think you could find in another breeder down the road?

I've gone four years without a herder and I miss it like you wouldn't believe. But... I survived and will hopefully have the dog of my dreams in a year and a half or so. 5 years really isnt too long in the grand scheme of things. Renting has been the big issue and saving for a house. Growing up sucks sometimes. Lol.

Not saying don't do it but the other side of the coin.

Members online