Theriogenology Class Thread

Saeleofu

I figured it might be good if we had a thread of all the Chazzers taking the course. Because some of the stuff on the boards over there is driving me nuts lol (I expect it to improve as time goes on, as some people clearly aren't going to stay for the duration of the course).

medusozoan

Previously ravennr
This is a relief. Thanks!

I didn't really like studying with the people in my last coursera group, which was on mythology. I have to wait until tomorrow to officially sit down and start it but I'm excited!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Great idea! I'm done with week 1... nothing I didn't already know, but it was a good refresher. (Though it did give me a reminder of how un-fun heat cycles are!)

Quiz questions are worded kind of tricky, so be careful.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
PS - for the life of me, I can't figure out the whole case study thing. Maybe I need to look again when I'm less tired. ;)

Saeleofu

I'm just about finished with week 1. We do a LOT of repro work at the clinic, so this is mostly a review. The cytology stuff is really interesting, though. I don't get much chance to actually look at slides.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Re: the forums... some of the responses to the "how would you tell if a bitch is spayed" are making me laugh. (Cornfields are in the midwest, silly!)

Some of these folks would have trouble with Kaylee... no scar, no tattoo, big nipples. And probably with Revy too... hardly ever goes into season, didn't come into season for the first time until she was nearly 3. She's like the canine version of a zero bodyfat gymnast! ;)

Well, now I feel really behind. I haven't had a chance to start it yet! Hoping to start week one this weekend.

Also, good thread idea!

Saeleofu

It doesn't take long to finish the first week - about 20 minutes of video, a couple pages of notes (which are really basically the same content as the videos), two very short quizzes, a short case study.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Well, now I feel really behind. I haven't had a chance to start it yet! Hoping to start week one this weekend.

Also, good thread idea!
hahaha same

It doesn't take long to finish the first week - about 20 minutes of video, a couple pages of notes (which are really basically the same content as the videos), two very short quizzes, a short case study.
Like, 5 of the videos are over 10 minutes each? Am I missing something, 20 minutes? If there's a shortcut... LOL

Saeleofu

Segment 1:

Segment 1 video (6:49)
Vaginal cytology sample collection video :)31)
Segment 1 notes
PowerPoint presentation
Segment 1 quiz
Segment 2:
Segment 2 video (13:35)
Segment 2 notes
PowerPoint presentation
Segment 2 quiz
That's all there is for Week 1. So, 20 minutes and 55 seconds of video.

ETA: Thee powerpoints are the exact same thing as you see in the video, minus the talking/narration.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yeah, I just read the introduction materials and then did the first week, it took maybe an hour on the high side. I watched the videos, looked at the notes (it is basically the same as the video) and took the quizzes. The quizzes are only a few questions each and they are multiple choice. I agree with Sizzle that some of them are worded a bit tricky but not really difficult if you take your time.
The case study took me the longest because my initial answer was like... fifteen words, LOL. And I had to figure out how to elaborate a bit.

Sillysally, it's free! Lots of universities are doing similar things these days... offering up their courses for free. You don't get college credit or anything, but you do get to learn. =>

JessLough

Love My Mutt
That's all there is for Week 1. So, 20 minutes and 55 seconds of video.

ETA: Thee powerpoints are the exact same thing as you see in the video, minus the talking/narration.
:lol-sign: Apparently, I didn't look well enough when I took a quick look around :p I thought video was the powerpoints. thanks!

Members online

No members online now.