Help! What Can I do?

Payge

Ohhhhh i'm sooo sick to my stomach right now! A new store has opened in Reno. Normally thats not somthing I would be upset about. Its not just any store though, it's a puppy store. Thats right, you too can walk in off the street and pick from one of their 20 different breeds of puppies they get from bybs and puppy mills. I went there today in hopes it was just a service to hook people up with local, ethical breeders. No such luck. Puppies in tiny kennels everywhere! The owners were an old couple that looked to be in their 60's at the youngest. The store was full of people playing with the puppies and a long line at the cash register to buy them. I was asked if they could assist me with finding the breed I wanted, I thought quickly and told them I was looking for mastiff puppies since they didnt have any and they said no, but theres a big shipment of them coming in next week. I was horrified. I'm still horrified.

What can I do to shut this place down? It is gonna give me tons of sleepless nights over this whole thing.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
I would do anything in my power to shut it down! Call the police or something say its animal abuse. Which to be it is. I can't stand stuff like that, its not enough that those pups have been so much, now they want to put them into a second puppy mill. Gosh how bad!!!

I would type up some info on mills and pass the fliers out around the area. Someone I know shut down a store by talking to people about the problem.

keyodie

Keyozilla
Yeah make a flier or something about the whole puppy mill thing...and then hand it to everyone! Gaddy, thats a good idea! And also talk to people too. You've got to shut it down, do everything! MAUAHAHAHAH :D Ok sry this isn't funny

Julie

I am back again.
Payge said:
Ohhhhh i'm sooo sick to my stomach right now! A new store has opened in Reno. Normally thats not somthing I would be upset about. Its not just any store though, it's a puppy store. Thats right, you too can walk in off the street and pick from one of their 20 different breeds of puppies they get from bybs and puppy mills. I went there today in hopes it was just a service to hook people up with local, ethical breeders. No such luck. Puppies in tiny kennels everywhere! The owners were an old couple that looked to be in their 60's at the youngest. The store was full of people playing with the puppies and a long line at the cash register to buy them. I was asked if they could assist me with finding the breed I wanted, I thought quickly and told them I was looking for mastiff puppies since they didnt have any and they said no, but theres a big shipment of them coming in next week. I was horrified. I'm still horrified.

What can I do to shut this place down? It is gonna give me tons of sleepless nights over this whole thing.
I have found a website, it seems to answer some of the questions you have. I think it is in PA, but you could get some ideas.
They have brochures to print and hand out.
They have newspaper ads to submit to your local newspaper, to make people aware of the problem.
And much more...very interesting
Make sure you click on the link further down in the paragraph it says:
"You can click here for flyers that can be printed."
You need acrobat reader to print the flyers, though
The pictures in these flyers are a real "awakening" experience.

http://www.prisonersofgreed.org/actions.html
Good Luck,
Julie.

Saje has a great idea. And the local television media is always looking for good investigative stories. It puts them on the radar for all sorts of awards . . . A piece on puppy mills just hits all the buttons.

bubbatd

Do anything you can !!! I was watching Judge Judy yesterday...case had to do with a $2500 Bulldog bought at a pet store !!!! I remember back in the 80s when I was breeding Goldens, our mall pet store had a golden pup for $600. I was charging $350 at that time, and asked as if I was interested for the history of the pup....no pedigree, no health background etc etc.. I think the pup was 9 weeks at that time and didn't even have it's shots !!! I stuck around for an hour to tell everyone not to buy !! I was finaly thrown out !!! Another time, Someone wanted to buy one of my pups and all were spoken for...I told them I'd be breeding my male in 5 months. They went to a petstore and later confessed to me they would wait. The pup they got had to be put down ( from pet store ) parvo, worms, kidney problems etc etc... the petstore wouldn't take it back or refund their money.

Members online

No members online now.