so... dealing with doggy dementia.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Teddy (my 16 year old pekingese who completely lost her marbles... speculated dementia) has been living a calm life in her room for over a year now. Just for some background, she started having very erratic behaviors and becoming less and less aware of her old training, recognizing people, and the rest of the world starting something like 4 years back. (Her pooing everywhere randomly behavior actually started when she was 4 years old and only when she's angry at one of us... not sure if she is just a terrible dog, really.)

But suddenly a couple days ago, she started urinating and defecating all over her room again, even squeezing out last bits of poo juice when she has no poo left and rolling around in it- seemingly just for kicks. LOL

I lol, but it's actually causing us a lot of frustration, because she's been repeating this behavior daily for 3 days in a row already. Either my mom or I have to spend 2 hours cleaning the entire bathroom AND her, each day on repeat, and then she does it again. She repeats this behavior in the evenings. The entire upstairs of my house reeks.

Did anyone have to deal with something like this, or is it completely unheard of? What did you do? What do we do?

SpringerLover

I would find a vet with knowledge of canine cognitive dysfunction. There is a food that can help (b/d) as well as medications and supplements. Helping her continue to learn, even the most basic things, can help.

Oh no, that sounds rough. It's tough not to get frustrated or even PO'd with that, even when you know it's not her fault.

Ditto finding a vet familiar with CCD. When my family dog developed it, she didn't develop any incontinence until the very end and even then it was only occasional - once or twice a week for two or three weeks maybe.

Would it be possible to fashion some kind of homemade diaper, and keep her bum shaved down so she's easier to clean? You'll still be doing a lot of bathing but it might keep it from getting all over the room...

Sorry I don't have anything else to offer except vibes and hugs. :(

Unfortunately I have no advice beyond what the others have suggested, but wanted to offer my support... I know how frustrating it can be when an animal begins to act in such a way.... :/ Good luck!

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Thanks for the replies and support, guys. 6_6

I will take her to a vet- part of my concern is even whether or not this is even completely dementia for her. In all honestly, she's been a difficult dog that defecates in the house whenever something we do doesn't satisfy her (aka she doesn't get enough attention, we play with the rabbit too much, etc), ever since she was young. She doesn't have the easiest personality to deal with to start. She IS clearly even loopier now, but I feel like it's still a combination of just her lifetime bad personality and dementia? I'm not sure at all.

A diaper sounds like a really good plan- but I have a feeling she would tug it off in a few minutes with her short legs. Shaving her furs sounds necessary- it would definitely help. 6__6

Members online

No members online now.