White Boxers, White GSDs and Culling...

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
In an discussion on another forum I'm active on (not a dog board) a couple of members stated that the American boxer and GSD clubs frowned upon breeders giving away or selling white pups, leading the breeders to euth said pups.

Is this true?

I think it probably has happened in the past with all sorts of breeds and mismarks, but I doubt it's at all common anymore.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Boxer breeders euthed pups for sure, and some still do, because white pups (altho normal in almost all boxer litters) are often born deaf.

White GSD's on the other hand have no higher rate of deafness than normal colored GSD's because they are genetically "ee" yellow not white.

American Boxer Club CoE heavily discourages full registration of "dogs of any color not accepted by the standard". Limited registration is allowed.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
White GSD's on the other hand have no higher rate of deafness than normal colored GSD's because they are genetically "ee" yellow not white.
That's really interesting, I didn't know that!

That said, I've known a few breeders to do premature spay/neuter before they send the white/mismarked pups home which they deem as a different form of "culling" ensuring that they don't reproduce.

Maxy24

I know when I was looking at boxer breeders for my directory most of them would have a little thing at the bottom of the site that said "white boxer friendly" to indicate they do not kill healthy white puppies. So I assume it is, or at least was not so long ago, a fairly common thing. No idea on the various club stances though.

crazedACD

I had a look on the GSD and Boxer clubs of America and they don't say anything about euthanizing or frowning upon white dogs :). They do include however that these dogs should not reproduce, so should be sold on limited registration. Personally I agree, I am not a fan of euthanizing due to faults.

Now...the Dalmatian Club of America, does explicitly say they expect deaf puppies to be euthanized. I happen to agree if you can't find proper placement (though I understand some breeders are working with rescue to place deaf puppies).
I'm completely fine with euthanizing puppies that are blind, missing limbs, or have other major health problems.

Members online

No members online now.