Backyard Chickens?

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
Do any other Chazzers have pet chickens?

I am picking up my "babies" on Thursday! I am getting two Ameraucanas, 2 cuckoo marans and one buff brahma; I'm also getting my friend's 4 cuckoo marans chicks for her to pick up from me this weekend.

This is my first foray into "backyard chickens" and I am so excited/nervous! The Ameraucanas & the Brahma will be about 2.5 weeks old, and the Marans will be only 3 days old! I am hoping against hope that they don't kick the bucket on me, and that I can expect eggs by the fall.

Also, our coop is actually an old little tykes playhouse that I obtained from a coworker. They'll have about 180sqft for a fenced in run that we are in the process of completing as well..

Advice, support, etc is welcomed, appreciated and encouraged. :p

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I do :)

Eight hens, hatchery birds -- 2 Australorps, 2 Gold-Laced Wyandotte, 2 Brahma (1 buff, 1 light), 1 Speckled Sussex, 1 Plymouth Rock

And one Rooster, a wheaten Maran show bird

Planning on adding 4 hens this spring. I was hoping one of the girls would go broody for me, but no such luck.

Xandra

I have 3 GLW rooster, 5 GLW hens, 4 Bovan brown hens and 1 useless brown hen. I'm hoping to downsize by 2 roosters and the useless hen by next week. I lost a Bovan brown a few days ago to ???

I raised 11 GLW from day olds, and we didn't lose one except to coyotes, so fingers crossed for your Marans!

I'd like some BLW, and some Marans. Someone down the street has these gamefowl that look like they're on stilts, I'd like some of those too. Spangled Russian Orloffs are neat too.

I'd like to incubate some chicks this year, you can get cheap incubators with a turner for $150 or less.

If you have any questions just ask :)

RottenFlower

rotties are my kryptonite
More north of south, but more south of north.
I desperately want a French Copper Marans or two, but they will have to wait until next year. :(

I have become obsessed with all things chicken, and have about a zillion other breeds I want to get at some point. Problem is, I only live on an acre, and therefore have limited space for birdies. Plus, Kaia will the **** out of the hens if given the chance. I am debating getting some meat birds, but I don't know if I could go through with slaughtering them.

Also, PLEASE POST PHOTOS. :p

I do:)

Photos....lets see

A couple of this years babies

Random others

Well, I have a million more I could post, but will stop there. They are SOOOO much fun. This is my 6th year now with them and I cant believe I waited so long

I desperately want a French Copper Marans or two, but they will have to wait until next year. :(
I have a Fr Copper Marans Rooster and getting some hens,in the coming week or so.
I'm getting 5 Buff Orpington Hens as I have a rooster.
I,also,have Rouen ducks and Toulouse geese as well as quails and turkeys.

GSD4ME

Happy Mountain Dogs
We live out in the woods and our neighbors have chickens (quite a few hens and two roosters). They are allowed to roam around free and are constantly running amok on our property (which means we might as well have them, too, haha). Since their arrival, we have way less ticks and other bugs which is a huge bonus...and worth any frustration they may cause otherwise with our dogs! :)

Our neighbor recently told us the name of a couple of them. I don't want to know! OMG, the next thing you know I won't be able to eat chicken!

Gypsydals

With the move to the country. Yeaaa I finally get what I want. LOl
I currently have 19 chickens and 6 ducks. I want to add more come spring.
The chickens are 4 rhode island reds, 2 silver laced wyandottes, 5 Isa browns, 3 EEs, 1 buff orphinton, 3 I don't know (probably production reds) and one black. 4 of the ducks are khaki campbells and 2 are probably rouens. OHh and I have 15 meat chickens. Although not all of the adult layers will be staying. I know of one in particular that will be going off with the meat chickens.

Right now I have 18 in total. I have 17 total right now. One is from a friend, one is an egg she stole from another hen and hatched, and the rest are from Murry McMurry's ,Rainbow Layers assortment. I have a Buff Orpington, a Turken cross, several Production Reds, several EasterEggers, three Black Rocks and a Leghorn.

Make sure your coop is secure against predators. Raccons can reach right in and pull heads,legs or wings off.

PennyD

I always wanted a pet chicken!!
Are they nice to have as pets? I have heard that they scratch alot..

Thanks!

-Penny D

I always wanted a pet chicken!!
Are they nice to have as pets? I have heard that they scratch alot..

Thanks!

-Penny D
At the ground, not you.

Some people even keep them indoors, but I don't know how they do with scratching the floor. Maybe a sandbox.

Members online

No members online now.