Name for a hedgehog!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
So, I have a new addition to the family. She's spiney and huffy and can roll into a tiny ball. She also has a very cute nose and waddles. In short, I have a hedgehog (breeder photo):

I do not, however, have a name for said hedgehog. And I'm drawing a blank!

She is very inquisitive, but she also startles easily (and she can growl and huff and chatter with the best of them). She likes to throw a fit, then poke her nose out and go, "Oh. Okay." and begins to explore.

I will not name her Sonic. Or Amy. And her name can't be Quilla, either, due to another hedgehog I know. The only name halfway sticking is Fluffy. And how cliché is that?!

Name ideas, anyone?

Well I was coming here to say her name should be Fluffy before I even got to the end of your post....

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Edwina. Eddie for short.

I have no idea why, Edwin leapt into my head then I saw it was a lady.

Eta - actually that's an awesome name for a hedgehog. If you've never seen absolutely fabulous, you have to. Then you'll understand :D

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
You know you want it to be Sonic ;) Lol!

I have no name suggestions, but I like Fluffy! I just wanted to comment on how PRECIOUS she is! Keep us updated on her! My dad has wanted a Hedgie forever but while ADORABLE they've never been a pet I really was too super interested in owning. I like cuddly pets. So I'm interested to see what they are like, and hear from you about her personality and such. :)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I think we may name her Pear. For Prickly Pear. hahaha The other name thrown around was Gertie (Gertrude). Tempi (Tempest/Temper) is another thought. Hmmm...

Still not really sure, though.

She is the second Hedgehog I've interacted with, and this is my general take on them:

1.) They don't require interaction. If you go away for a weekend, or week, they won't care that they aren't being handled or getting out of cage time.

2.) They poop big, gross nasty poops (which, luckily, don't stink horribly). And they poop while they run on their wheel, so you have to clean the wheel daily. That is really about as "high maintenance" as they get.

3.) They eat high protien, low fat catfood. (Supplementing with meal worms is recommended!) Drink out of a water bottle. Can stay on aspen/paper bedding. Nothing different there then any other caged animal. And their urine is not near as offensive as other small, caged animals. (In fact, besides the mild poop odor, I don't think they really stink at all.)

4.) They may never really like to be picked up and handled, but in my experience, if they are "social", they should unball and be inquisitive after you've picked them up. Miss Hedgehog doesn't like to be grabbed out of the cage (she balls up and chatters at us), but once she's out, she's like, "Oh, okay!" and her cute little nose starts a sniffing and she'll climb all over you.

I purchased her because I wanted a pet that was unique, fairly easy to care for, and that didn't care if I ignored it socially for a few days, but when I wanted to interact it'd be fine with it. I kind of consider them glorified hamsters in that regard. LOL

Here she is checking out her new cage (Critter Nation with a coroplast pan fit inside - Biggs has been downsized to the smaller cage due to his health issues). Her wheel is still on order, as the Petsmart selection here is horrible!

She *loves* to borrow under the bedding. She'll stick her head down in it, dig a little, and then just walk around on the pan base with the bedding flowing around her. :p

She's met the cat and the dogs. Histamine completely ignores her, but Abrams is FASCINATED. A little too much so. He can not figure out what the heck she is.

Members online

No members online now.