Would you Pick Your Dog All Over Again?

Kaylee? No. I wouldn't give her up now but if I had known what type of temperament and personality I was getting I would have stepped back.

I adore her, she makes me laugh, she's taught me so much (what I don't want in a dog mainly) and I really at the end of the day had no problems working through her issues and quirks and things. They made the breakthroughs that much more rewarding.

But her underlying, overall temperament is not something I mesh well with. We both grate on each other's nerves so much and I find myself frustrated with her more often than not. But, she did teach me patience!

The Koolies? In a heartbeat.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Yes and yes :) to my current pair. They are the fantastic duo :D

Yes, absolutely to my two spaniels I had previously even knowing that losing one of them young to liver disease would rip my heart apart for a while and that the other one would need a lot of work on his fear issues.

Working with Patton through his fear aggression and watching him grow into a more confident dog was a hard but amazing journey to take with him.

Yes, to shy little spaniel girl Holly who was a shelter rescue that I rehomed to a quieter home after realizing that my home busy multi-dog was too much for her. Because even though my home was not the place for her there was no way I could have left her cowering in the back of that kennel ever.

Miss Maeve my collie...well, that is the hard one...we did not always quite mesh. I loved her and she loved me, and I am glad I shared her life...but sometimes we caused each other stress that we could have done without.

Catsi

yes...no...yes...no...yes....no....dammit, I can't decide!!

But for reals, if someone had told me when I picked him up that he would become the monstrous being that he has....maybe. He just has so. many. issues. I often joke that he has NO redeeming qualities...other than being cute. :p

But as it stands, I love him to death, I'd never get rid of him, but there are many days where I'd like to throttle him. He has taught me SO MUCH, but he has also made so many things that much more difficult in life because of the issues he has.

So if someone had shown me a video of all the issues he was going to have when I picked him up? No, I probably wouldn't have taken him. If I ever find a rescue dog that has his same issues, HELL TO THE NO I would not sign myself up for that again and adopt him/her!
This is how I feel about Miss Abigail. I bloody adore her. She's made things complicated and it's honestly not something I would willingly repeat, but at the same time, I don't think I'd be half the dog owner I am today without her. Like Frodo, she's as cute as a button. I'm always joking to friends about our relationship, but to be honest, it's as solid as a rock now. I never thought I'd bond so strongly in the beginning.

Grace is as close to perfect as you can get. I'm still amazed at how awesome she is and that's with having me as an owner lol. And she came along years before Abby came to torment (sorry, test) me.

Two years ago, I woulda said, "No way would I choose her again!"

A year ago, I woulda said, "Hmm. Probably not."

Now? Yes.

For me, she has been a massive challenge to raise. High energy, clingy, drivey, reactive youngster for a cat lover with 0 dog experience? Oh boy, yeah, it was rough at first. But she mellowed and I adjusted, and I tamed her, and we bonded. I have had so many life changing experiences with this dog, I wouldn't want to undo that. In spite of how much work she is, I LOVE being a dog owner, and I love being her owner specifically. :)

Saeleofu

I can understand the "not for me" dog. I love Tango to bits, but I'm really glad he found an awesome Chazzer home, because he's just not my type of dog. It's hard to explain, but having felt it, I understand it.

I thought about this one for a long time.

I think there's a huge difference between regretting something, and choosing not do something over again. I don't regret getting Jack for a second. He's my dog and I love him, and we'll be together until the very end. We've went through so much. Having him and his issues has taught me a lot about training and behavior.

But if someone had told me when I met him, "Hey, this dog is going to be people reactive and a resource guarder", I probably wouldn't have taken him. Or maybe I would have, in my 17-year-old "I can fix that" mentality. Who knows. However, I will be careful in my selection of future dogs as I now know what issues I can't/won't deal with. I would gladly have a resource guarder again. It would be hit or miss on reactivity. I will not deal with seperation anxiety (Missy).

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yeah. I'd choose Eve again. In fact, I think if I could only have one dog, to live forever with me, it'd be her. She's everything I need in a dog.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
You know, if I'd known then what I know now, I might have tried declining Keira. Might have. Not that it would have been my choice. But my reason being is simply because she ended up becoming 98% my responsibility as she's a terrible match for my mom, for whom she was intended. Or at least she was intended as more of a family dog. But she nearly feels like mine, because literally she is awful to live with if my mom is the one to be responsible for her. So in some ways it's kind of frustrating. For one thing, my mom doesn't have a dog that she can do whatever with, and for another, while Keira is an easy dog for me in most ways because I know how to manage and live with her, she's not really my type of dog, so I never would have chosen her for myself.

With that said though, I adore the dog Keira grew up to be most days. While she may be frustrating when other people are home, when it's just me and the four dogs or just me and Keira, she's wonderful. And she's taught me a lot about how to deal with a certain type of temperament and made me a better dog owner in that way, and she's taught my mom not to just say yes to a dog because it's pretty haha. The smart thing for my mom would have been for the family not to take Keira, though. But now that she's here, I can't imagine her with anyone else. She's stuck with us and we're stuck with her for the rest of her life. And I say that with a lot of love haha. Truly she's a wonderful dog, but her energy is just too frantic and pushy and anxious for the person she was intended for.

As for my other dogs, I definitely would have still taken any of them. Ripley didn't quite grow into the dog I was hoping he would be, but he's the sweetest dog in the world and is a lot of fun. Rarely do you ever get just the dog you hoped for. And Dance, for as much of a weirdo as she is and how I wish she wasn't and that she could just be a 'normal' dog, I can't picture life without her. She's so important to me. She's hilarious, brings so much joy to us all, thinks the world of me in her own little way, etc. Quirks and all, we all love her immensely. Lately I've been thinking that, regardless of quirks, no Toller could ever possibly even come close to living up to Dance. She's my world. And if I'd gotten a 'normal' Toller instead of Dance, regardless of the awfulness of missing out on a dog like Dance, I wouldn't have Journey right now either, and that would be horrible. And Journey, no way I would ever dream of saying no to her. She's just a puppy, but so far she honestly is the dog of my dreams, no matter how cheesy that sounds. It's true. If I made a checklist of all the things that would've made my future dog perfect, Journey would hit all the marks and then some. I feel very lucky to have her and feel like she's going to be one of those 'once in a lifetime' dogs. She already is. It would have been the stupidest decision of my life to decline her. And I'll be forever grateful that I hit the 'send' button the day I had a whim to e-mail her breeder.

When it comes right down to it, all of my dogs, be they necessarily ideal for us or not, have all been influential in shaping the dog owner I am today. They each bring something new to the table, and they each have taught me something be it about patience, training, how to live with a certain personality without getting frustrated about it, etc. Even Keira's 'maybe' is a very slim maybe, because she's helped make me a better dog owner. And if we hadn't taken her, there also would have been a lot of good that we'd have missed out on.
Can I just say that part in bold made me SQUEEE, not just because I feel the same way about Merlin but because I'm so happy for you and was a bit anxious that you weren't gonna be happy with your pup and it would be like "DAMMIT FRAN! THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!" :rofl1:

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I would happily pick Cali again. Sometimes, I think about what her life would be like if I had picked her sister instead but then I'm always glad I did, because who knows if she'd get as much attention? She adores attention and I always love how excited she gets to see me after I was away for twenty minutes in the shower. Her ears go straight back, her tail and butt start to wiggle, and she does her little growley/excited/quiet barking noise. I'm almost convinced she's a miniature Australian Shepherd at times with all the bounciness and energy, which is perfect since I'm set on an Australian Shepherd for my next dog in a few years. Although I'm just hoping I'd be able to balance out both an Aussie and Cali because as much as she loves my mom too, I don't think I'd be able to let her live with my mom; mainly because I know I'd offer much more training/exercise than my mom, plus I'm just picky about her care even though my mom does a good job and is slowly learning.

Moses, of course I'd pick him out again... had I been looking at the same litter. I wouldn't go looking for a Cocker Spaniel now for a dog, and certainly not from a BYB but he's a saint and is essentially the perfect family dog. He loves being with everyone, loves going on hikes (and when we had the cottage and didn't take him canoeing with us, he'd follow the canoe along on the rocks for as long as he could find a rock to jump to) and is incredibly tolerant.

I love both of them so much, for all of their little quirks. Although neither of them are my "perfect" dog, they both have traits that add up to the perfect dog. Moses is content to laze around all day with you, Cali is always up and ready to go, she's eager to learn... Moses is crazily patient... Cali is very outgoing and gets along with everybody... both are total wiggle butts and it's easy to see how much they love you. I think once I get my Aussie, I'll have my ideal bunch of dogs. I think I'll always have two dogs at the very least. I don't know if I'd ever get another Papillon, simply because I don't like Cali's size (aside from her portability) but I do love the breed and I know I want Cali to live forever, and Moses too. It's hard to think that he's 12 now though, but we're planning on spoiling him for the remainder of his life with comfy beds, hikes in the warmer months... and beef tracheas.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Seeing as I didn't pick any of my current dogs lol I'm not sure how to answer.

In Hawk and Lark's cases the breeder said they were the puppies for me and I took them and I would agree to take them again. In Kechara's case my parents picked her for me, now her physical appearance has made for some headaches for me and her temperament has had it's issues but her desire to be with me and work with me makes up for all that.

Hmmmm, i want to say yes, but then i'm distracted by a pacing and whining blue coyote.

Pixie, Emma, Page and Nova all turned out to be more dog than i could ever dream of. Pixie was an awesome little sports dog and the perfect dog for me to begin my adventure into the world of dog sports. She has earned her somewhat spoiled spot in the household. Emma taught me tons, and is my heart. Page allowed me to learn so much and i miss him everyday. Nova wasn't planned and i didn't have room, but i thank the stars every day for my "bad" decision to buy a dog from across the country, sight unseen. She is more than i could ever have asked for and she's perfect in every way.

Then there's Ash. My pound puppy who was bought after i decided to get out of showing. He's a little bundle of nerves and isn't at all the protective dog i wanted him to be. i think it's actually my job to save him from the world, not vice versa lol If i knew then what i know now, i probably would have passed up the litter altogether, or at least got his overly independent and toy driven brother...

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
You know, honestly if you would have asked me this throughout the life of Artimis you would've gotten mixed answers depending on when it was.

I'm not proud of this, but there was a time were I very much regretted getting him. To the point that it really made me think I couldn't handle him anymore. :eek: I'm so glad I didn't give up on him though! Now, he's almost 4 years old and I would take him in a heartbeat, even with all of his issues! Coming from being completely out of control on walks or around new people, to very soon taking the CGC and we are going to pass (I just know it!) is just amazing to me. he even wags his tail for new people in a happy/friendly manner! ^_^

Sometimes me and David think back to what he use to be like. I was so stressed with him some times I just couldn't deal with taking him outside. I was so embarrassed and fearful, it made him worse. Though now I wish I had more video's of him at his worst, to show the change once we figured out the right way to go about helping him. :) He's not perfect, he's still a bit nervy in new situations, but he is 100xbetter.

Talon, for as much trouble he is, yes I'd take him. He is so awesomely evil! ^_^

Yes. Crystal has many fear issues, which I believe would have put me off, but these fear issues are what have taught me to be the dog owner I am today. I have learned to not be impatient, to take my time, to not use force. It also opened my eyes to a whole world of dog training that I would have never seen if I never had picked Crystal. Crystal has a tendency to pick up and learn so quick, that if I had chosen a stubborn dog, I believe I would have given up. And now I have learned so much, because of her, that I know that I would never pick another dog. I love the whole package, fear issues and all. :)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Josefina? No, she is a real problem child, great with people, not so great with dogs & she takes a lot of managing, we adopted her ffrom a shelter as an orphaned puppy who was taken from her mother way too early & the damage of that shows.

As for Buddy yes i would adopt him again in a heartbeat, he is a good dog.

Members online

No members online now.