Can a senior dog be fed Evo?

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I was wondering if a senior dog could be fed Evo. Mark's friend's dog, Symba, always comes down for Hannah's dinner time so I have gotten in the habit of giving Symba a 1/2 cup of kibble mixed with the Evo canned. She seems fine with it but I didn't know if for some reason the regular Evo shouldn't be fed to senior dogs (she's 13 years old and extremely overweight). She's only used to eating Gravy Train and Alpo since they got her:eek: . They told me that's the only dog food she eats but she eat's the Evo like there's no tomorrow:rolleyes: . I think they just don't want to shell out the extra money for the better food, no matter if you feed less and it'll be healthier for their dog or not. Anyways, is it ok to feed her the Evo, or should I get a senior formula for her when she comes down for dinnertime (mark will be really mad that I buy a bag specially for her but oh well).

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
It is for all stages, so Evo is definitely ok for senior dogs! ;)

As long as there are no underlying health issues, like kidney problems, that might be affected by the protein & fat content in Evo, she should do great with it. I would be uneasy mixing such poor quality stuff (Alpo and Gravy Train... ew) with such a premium kibble, but as long as she doesn't show any side affects and her owners are fine with it, that's awesome what you are doing for her!

You should totally encourage her parents to put some more effort/thought into what their dog is eating. She sounds really unhealthy and typical for a dog that's been living with bad food... very heavy, probably a poor coat, bad digestion, and she probably has gross teeth, right? Poor pup! If you have extra money, since you sound like you care so much about her, what if you offered to pay the difference to feed her a premium kibble (Canidae Platinum is also awesome for heavier senior dogs) for a few weeks and let them see the huge difference it will make. It also sounds like they need some education about how much to feed, and how they can give her some decent exercise. Carrying around extra weight can really affect a senior dogs lifespan, and she deserves better ;)

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
She seems to do fine with me mixing the two foods, no upset stomach issues that I know of. I have talked to them about switching to something because she loves the Evo and I noticed that they went through a 22 lb bag of Gravy Train in about a month! She's got the gross teeth, and breath, and plus she has cancer as well. They won't put in any money into trying to help her though because she's so old their just gonna wait until she's having trouble with everyday stuff (going outside, eating, etc.). They said when she's not having a good life anymore is when they will put her down. I try telling them that the Evo and the better foods would probably be best for her seeing as she's older, and with cancer, but either they don't want to shell out the extra cash or they don't want to drive. Maybe if I offer to pick it up and pay the difference...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
gaddylovesdogs said:
If she has cancer, EVO is what she needs - high in protein, no grains. That would help her a lot. Poor girl. :(

yeah, it's sort of sad but she's not my dog so I just do what I can. I think I'm gonna just ask them if I could just feed them Hannah's food and then they won't have to buy dog food for her. It'll cost us a little extra in kibble each month but I give Hannah quite a bit of raw food so as long as we don't go over 1 and 1/4 bags of Evo a month I don't think mark will be mad.

Members online

No members online now.