Major irritation after bad grooming

mikami

Hello, all! I'm not really sure if this is a health care issue or a grooming issue (or a heath care issue caused by a grooming issue), so I apologize if this is the wrong place.

We took our 12 year old mini poodle to one of those big-name retail pet shops for grooming and they let a student do it (without consulting us first), and she shaved him down close to the skin. He didn't have any redness or visible razor burn when we took him home, but he's been licking between his legs as though it's irritated (he's licked so much there is a bit of redness now), and occasionally licking at his butt. He's been laying around and doesn't want to get up much, like it's uncomfortable to walk. It also seems that it's uncomfortable for him to poop (he'll start to squat, then jump like it hurts). I don't know for sure if they expressed him, but I believe they are supposed to.

He often acts irritated after grooming, but he's usually back to normal after a couple days. It's been almost a week now, and it's still bothering him, although he did poop this morning without flinching.

I think my main concerned is of a bruised anal gland, but I'm not sure if that would cause licking between the legs. I would assume a ruptured gland would have more serious symptoms, but I'm not very versed on the subject.

Hopefully I'm just overreacting.

Thanks in advance (and again, apologies if I should've put this in the grooming section)

Saintgirl

Couple of questions first, how long was your pups coat before the groom and was the coat matted? How often do you get your dog groomed?

AmberD

Ditto to the above questions. Not accusing at all, but it's worth noting that if a dog is matted going into the grooming, its skin may already be irritated or even just sensitive. Around the private areas usually is the most sensitive and worst matted - sometimes even if the dog isn't all that matted on its body. It is also one of the easiest places to clipper burn even if there isn't matting, but especially if there is.

Members online

No members online now.