The dog musing/vent thread

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I finally got this big piece of dirt or whatever (the vet told me it was just dirt, but I'm still not sure I buy it) that was under the skin between Auggie's toes out. They tried to get it out with a needle before but their aim must not have been as good as mine... I've been trying to squeeze it out since the first time we went in and she showed me what was going on and it won't move, so... I tried the needle trick this time. I got a little blood, but not a lot, and more importantly, I got the big hard piece of black whatever it is out.

It was disgusting. Nauseating at one point. But I got it!! And that is the foot he always messes with, so maybe now that whatever it was is no longer under his skin there, he will stop messing with that foot. He'll be sporting triple antibiotic cream for a few days but hopefully it will heal up better than before.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
My thighs are super sore after dremeling Cajun's nails. It... should not be such a workout to do such an easy task. :eek: She had been doing okay for them and now she's starting to go backwards! I CAN do them but I sit on top of her while she's on her side and basically she's squirming and jerking her feet the whole time. But they were getting really bad because I've slacked and haven't done them in like 2 weeks. Might be time to go back to the drugs beforehand :(

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I was kind of admiring today how awesome I am at getting my dogs in shape. LOL. I knew Cajun was FAT when we got her but I never really had a good "after" picture to compare to her fat days. Until now.

She was such a blimp!
IMG_0815 by cinSun9, on Flickr

IMG_1671 by cinSun9, on Flickr

I didn't really realize just how fat she really was!

Picklepaige

I was kind of admiring today how awesome I am at getting my dogs in shape. LOL. I knew Cajun was FAT when we got her but I never really had a good "after" picture to compare to her fat days. Until now.

She was such a blimp!

Oh wow, her coat look SO much better in the second photo! Is that just from a diet change?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yup, that's Ullie! He really is stunning, if undignified.
I am surprised no one has snapped him up yet with those unique looks. It's like he's looking right though you.

All my dogs HATE their nails clipped, dremmeled, you name it. I don't know why, because I have done a lot of desensitization and never gave them a "bad" experience. My oldest, Bear is the worst. He doesn't fight or act bad, he is just very dramatic and pathetic about it :/

Last edited:

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
He's been adopted and returned twice, and I've stopped telling people he's going to be available for adoption because everyone who meets him wants him. For some reason "He has a bite history" doesn't scare anyone off, either. He's infinitely more charming and lovable in person, too.

teacuptiger

floor dancer

She was such a blimp!

Wow, she looks really good!!

Cajun looks awesome!

Feeling irked this week. Astro got attacked by a small dog TWICE at a PetCo. The other dog was wandering waaaaaay out at the end of a flexi lead outside the store, and the owner didn't have anything to say for herself, just a halfhearted excuse or two and "sorry." The little shithead just ran right up and snapped at Astro! And then it happened again inside the store when she let him just go around an aisle...

So now Astro is behaving much more cautiously around small dogs and it makes me nervous. The second time with the rude little dog, he did retaliate and I hate it. A year and a half of carefully planned, positive interactions with other dogs to keep him socialized - and one incident can set a dog back so much. He is still social to dogs his size but still...it just makes me mad. And it's sort of been a long time coming because so many small dogs have snapped or snarled at him when he wasn't even near them before, this was just the final straw where contact was actually made.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Do Pomeranians carry the merle gene? A lady told me her dog was Pomeranian, but, from I remember, they don't. That they're actually outcross of Shelties(or other breeds.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Do Pomeranians carry the merle gene? A lady told me her dog was Pomeranian, but, from I remember, they don't. That they're actually outcross of Shelties(or other breeds.
I have seen registered Pomeranians that are merle.

Now how that merle got in the lines to begin with....who knows. It was likely an outcross.

BostonBanker

I finally took the plunge and bought a Dremel. I was pretty sure I was paying $88 to be able to tell people "Look, I tried it, he won't tolerate it" when they bothered me about Gusto's nails.

And holy heck he is GOOD for it. Clipping his nails was always a "You can lay there and hate me all you want, deal and you can have a cookie" proposition. And the nails are soft and white and sensitive, and I could never get them short.

And he doesn't love it, but he sits with no restraint at all and allows me to Dremel all his nails in one session. They are already looking better.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution

She was such a blimp!

She looks great!! Nice job with her :D

I finally took the plunge and bought a Dremel. I was pretty sure I was paying $88 to be able to tell people "Look, I tried it, he won't tolerate it" when they bothered me about Gusto's nails.

And holy heck he is GOOD for it. Clipping his nails was always a "You can lay there and hate me all you want, deal and you can have a cookie" proposition. And the nails are soft and white and sensitive, and I could never get them short.

And he doesn't love it, but he sits with no restraint at all and allows me to Dremel all his nails in one session. They are already looking better.
Actually, Kimma is WAY better for the Dremel than she is for clippers. It's still a bit of a battle, but I get a lot more done in a shorter time and I think it's overall less stressful.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
If I remember correctly merle in poms is like merle in chis. AKC accepts them but other registries DQ them.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That moment when your dog is being so sweet and cuddly and perfect then you realize she's just trying to steal your dinner. :/

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Panzer has been an ass hole lately. Mainly when it comes to random dogs he meets. And I took him into town for some town events. Tyler was not with me so I decided to put his pinch collar on for more control. I should add pan walks amazing on a leash. But anyways, pan would listen like a dime with the pinch collar on. And it was way easier to get his attention with it on ".

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Oh wow, her coat look SO much better in the second photo! Is that just from a diet change?
Diet change probably is a big factor, no clue what she used to eat but we have her on Fromm! She's been on an omega-3 supplement too though which helps!

Thanks for the compliments, she makes it easy by being so energetic and willing to do things, it kind of doesn't even compute in my brain how a dog like her could ever get fat in the first place! :(

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
After two weeks on Prozac, Brisbane no longer raids my purse for snacks or loses his mind at the mere sight of the United States Postal Service logo. It's like all the conditioning/training/desensitization we've been doing his for nine years just suddenly slammed into place.

Either the drugs are working, or he has been abducted by aliens and replaced with a Pod Dog.

Members online

No members online now.