upset about a forum i read concerning filas

filarotten

Fila the love
I was onlike looking up info on filas this morning came across a forum discussing the fila breed. One person had owned a fila and said it was socialized to a T. At 9 weeks it pinned her nephew against the wall and 9 months attacked her 15 year old son while on the phone. Did the kid not know the dog? She had it put to sleep, it was to far gone. It only liked her, her husband and parents. Everyone on the forum was apologetic to her for the dog. I did a lot of research before we decided to get brutus. I have never read or heard from anyone of a fila turning on the family member. But have a strong aversion to strangers, and owners must be in firm control due to this. In my opinion this dog must have been abused, and could not have been socialized to a t, definately not at home. If she could not control the dog at 9 weeks why did she not give it back to the breeder or a rescue group. REALLY UPSET ME !!!!!!! I think i am going to join the forum just to give my opinion.

bogolove

Renee will have an opinion on this. She has two beautiful fila girls, and her GSD tries to keep those two girls in line. I love Bimmer, Shiva, and Kharma stories.

The son must have done something to torment the dog and it had just had enough. I have told stories on this forum where I have invited people to my house and one guy hit my dog in the face because he jumped up (which he is doing much better at), and I basically told him if it happened again where I would mount his b@lls. But not only that, my dog is really sweet, but if any dog feels threatened, they are going to fight or flight, and I don't want to take the chance on some idiot hurting my dog, scaring him, and my dog biting someone and they make me put him down or something. Because that person would have to deal with the wrath of a dog loving woman. So, basically you could be right, and maybe the kid did something to hurt or annoy the dog and the dog had enough of it.

filarotten

Fila the love
I love mine also. you know its not only the breed in this instance but the fact that she gave up on it. Why did she not even question the actions of her son? And they were condoning what she did. Makes me so mad. Know one better everhurt my babies.

bogolove

The sad thing is, the way it is, if a dog attacks a person, they take it, no questions are really asked about what led up to the incident. I know a really sweet dog from my street, but the owners let him run loose in our neighborhood, and I heard some kid was messing with him and he snapped and bit him, and they put him to sleep. He was a fairly older dog too, and he was really sweet, probably slightly territorial, which is why he should have been kept in a fenced in yard, which is the law here.

There are plenty of dog attacks, where such is the case that they have no other choice, but I am sure that pleny of attacks are instigated and could have been easily avoided if the person involved used their head.

This subject can have so many gray areas, it can be so hard to determine. I feel the fila in this case though was most likely instigated, and this situation could have been avoided. It is so sad.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Well I mean if it came to a decision between my childs safety or the dog I would have to go with my child. HOWEVER, just having the dog put down without thinking twice about it is a little stupid. I would have taken it back to the breeder or try to find it a new home with someone who knows what they are doing. This lady obviously didn't have a clue what she was doing.

We used to have a min. schnauzer and we got her as a puppy when I was about 5. She NEVER bit anyone. My mom ran a day care and Tina never bit any of the kids ever. EXCEPT this one time. There was this kid that lived behind us and he came into our yard and tina didn't like him to begin with so she took after him and bit him. HAHAHA and my mom didn't do a thing lol. Basically told him that would teach him to come in our yard again hahaha. anyway the point is just because a dog takes after someone doesn't mean the dog is too far gone. It's more like an "I'm gonna get you before you get me again" sorta thing :D

Too bad that dog had to give its life because the owner was dumb.

filarotten

Fila the love
why did no one of that forum have the kahunas to tell this idiot that. They made the fila out to be a crazed blood thirsty breed. Ignorant people are more dangerous than any animal, in my opinion. Just my opinion. But innocent animals and childern suffer daily because of ingnorance. on humans part. Can't something be done to make people responsible pet owners?

bogolove

Maybe you should join that forum and tell them that. I agree. I do agree with sparks that in any such case, my child would come first (though I don't have any right now) but in this case, I do however believe that there were ignorant people involved in this situation.

Barb04

Super Moderator
This is why breeds get bad labels. Many bad dogs are the result of bad owners. I know many pitbulls and they are the sweetest dogs you'll ever meet. Many people are too fast to judge a breed.

There are way too many holes in the story. One of my questions is where did she get the pup! There are some real fools out there breeding just anything, especially if someone tells them one of the parents is a "Brazillian import." Some of the worst examples of the breed are now coming out of Brazil. And there are some dangerous fools out there breeding some really crazy temperaments. We like our Filas hard, but not crazed, and a Fila should never turn on family.

And a nine week old pup "pinning" someone to the wall? Riiiiight . . . AND, if a nine month old Fila had "attacked" her fifteen year old son there would be some hospital bills - did she mention anything about the kid being mauled? Chances are that poor dog was just trying to get the kid to play, making some of the weird noises these dogs make (they can sound pretty ominous when they're just playing). Nine month old Filas are very serious about their play. BUT, if this dog was socialized and had any kind of reasonable lessons in deportment the son would have been able to tell the dog to get down and that would have been the end of it.

It's too, too sad. It sounds like these were people who really didn't need any dog any more intense than a small companion breed. This is one of the reasons Judy and Gary are getting out of breeding - too many people that they've turned down for a pup have gone and gotten one from someone else, then when they have exactly the problems that Judy and Gary told them they'd have, they call Judy and Gary to get them out of the jam or to see if they can take the dog . . .

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I agree with Renee-- I'd say about 98% of dogs bite for a reason. The other 2% would be rabies.

And Fila's are... HUMUNGOUS! In my opinion, the Fila might've just been trying to get the kid to play with him. I know Rocky, my GSD, gets a little rough when he REALLY wants to play. This may have been the case here--except over-exaggerated.

I've love to own a Fila in the future... don't think I could handle one right now though! :)

Members online

No members online now.