Can a Border Collie thrive in an NYC apartment?

DJEtzel

I know a lot of BCs living in the city here, too. Not that ours is huge... but with a population of 75k plus students from a major university, it's not small. Recon lives with me in the city. In a house smaller than most apartments. He's sound sensitive and motion sensitive and thrives just fine with no worries. I think until you own a border collie, you don't get what border collies actually don't need.

Recon would be dying if someone exercised him as much as the OP can/wants to. lol

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
There are, indeed, lots of BCs who do just fine living in apartments in the city. There is a very large population of people who do agility and live in Chicago, not in the suburbs but in the city proper, with yards approximately smaller than a postage stamp - and they all manage to survive without their Super Unique Border Collie Powers causing spontaneous combustion. And most of these people are fat and definitely not out running their dogs to exhaustion.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My understanding of mini Aussies is that they are a "fad" designer breed. Is that a false assumption?
I just noticed this and I'm not sure anybody touched on it?

There are definitely some bad mini aussie breeders out there but the breed has been around a long while and there are some very good breeders, it just may take a while to find. They are in the AKC now as Miniature American Shepherds.

Here's the breed club: http://mascusa.org/

They are still sort of an in progress breed so they vary a lot. I know some that are wonderful and very aussie like and others that aren't much like aussies. I'd be really careful with breeder/line but the good ones are really nice dogs.

milos_mommy

When I think of "designer breeds" I think of intentionally mixing breeds to create a new breed, so in the sense, no, they're not a designer breed at all.

Miniature poodles, miniature American eskimos, schnauzers, miniature dachshunds, 13 inch beagles, etc all started out as their full size counterparts. There's a niche, especially with growing city life and participation in dog sports, for a dog with the Aussie traits and smaller size, and that's being filled. No different than the creation of any other breed.

With breeds like "cavachons" "cockatoos" etc, I don't see how those breeds can fill a niche that no other breed can. Essentially, describing what you want in a small designer dog, a Morkie or shih poo or whatnot, someone can probably name another breed that fits all those wishes.

With a MAS, that's not necessarily true. Arguably other breeds are similar, but there are very few herding breeds with Aussie traits in that small size readily available in the USA.

They're recognized by established breed clubs, aside from their own created club, which gives them slightly more credibility on paper than typical "designer breeds"

There is some mixing in the breed by unethical breeders trying to get the small size faster: mostly Pomeranian and I've also heard papillon. Generally however you can find a credible breeder who's lines have been strictly Aussie.

My opinion is that 60 years from now, labradoodle and goldendoodles might be around, cavachons and aussiepoos and puggles and morkies most likely won't...but miniature Aussies will likely be an established breed by then.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
It's doable, but tough. You may end up somewhat catering your life to your dog's needs. I think the key here would be finding the right BC. They can be prone to OCD behaviors and anxiety which would be difficult to manage in NYC. If the dog develops leash reactivity or wants to chase cars it's going to control your life.

That said, those behaviors will be less common in a dog getting enough exercise, which it sounds like you can provide. You also sounds pretty capable of nipping problem behaviors in the butt rather quickly. I'd say consider it doable, but also think of what's going to happen if the dog isn't adjusting well to city life or growing up into a stable city dog. I think getting a puppy from really mentally sound parents, maybe even a bench bred dog which won't be as fast, or an adult rescue who's known to do ok in those situations would be your best bet.

I will say I knew 100s of dogs (probably at least 400-500) in NYC, and I can say I never met one single BC that was a city dog. Even the agility instructors I knew there had miniature Aussies and JRTs mostly, some other breeds, but no BCs.

If i were you I'd probably look into some other breeds, and if you really don't find any as fitting as a BC, look further into finding the right dog.
Even some MAS can be too much for apartment dwelling, most MAS (mine included :rolleyes:) bark ... A LOT!!! Which can be problematic for apartment dwelling.

thehoundgirl

Mini Aussies have been around for a long time but are extremely popular these days.. I really don't think they are a designer breed?

stellamo

Thanks everyone so much. Mini aussies are sounding more and more ideal after researching them. Does anyone have any breeder recommendations? How should I go about finding a pup?

Doberluv

I am loving the Poodle breed...having the first two I ever owned of this breed. They're extremely versatile, athletic, highly intelligent...very quick to learn new things, friendly and comfortable with dogs and people...not prone to dog aggression and non shedding. They love being inside and seem to have a great cut-off switch from outdoor activities to chillin' in the home. They adore their people and are great with kids.

They come in three sizes in the US and 4 sizes in Europe. I think a smallish Standard or a mini would suit all the activities and life style you mention very well. They are typically very active, love to work, play, lots of energy and can do so many things. If it's tricks you like to teach, what better breed than one that has been used for circuses? Anyhow, you can tell I'm partial. But I think a Poodle is a really versatile breed. You only have to clip them every 4- 6 weeks and if you keep them in a rather short clip, it's not a problem to groom them in between clips.

Good luck!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
A standard or large miniature poodle is on my bucket list of dog's to own before I kick it :).

More info about mini aussies and mini americans:

Also, with AKC recognition, the miniature australian shepherd and the miniature american shepherd have kind of made a split much like the parson russell and the jack russell terrier have. They are essentially the same dog, but the standards are slightly different. It is just basically which way people want to go, and which club they want to affiliate themselves and their dogs with. To each their own. You definately shouldnt rule out a breeder who chooses to show and register under the mini aussie club of america, as opposed to the AKC.

miniature australian shepherd standard- http://mascaonline.com/breed-info/breed-standard/

miniature AMERICAN shepherd breed standard- http://www.namascusa.com/standard.php

Also, I have replied to a post listing some of the pros and cons of owning a MAS (which the abbreviation can apply to either breed), here is what I said, copied and pasted:

I have a MAS (mini american), he is 8 months almost and he is 17 inches of CRAZY LOL. He might be "mini" but he is pure aussie in his attitude, his litter's mother was half standard and her litter was one of the last allowed outcrosses into the aussie breed before they made it "official" and closed the books. His mother was herding instinct certified and competed in herding trials. His father does flyball and is a dock diver.

He has crazy energy, he is very physical, whether it be "hip checking" me as I walk, or laying on my feet as I type this very post, aussies and MAS in general are very textile. They don't just love you they are "in love" (so to speak) with you, you are their world, you are the sun they revolve around, everything begins and ends with you.

Be cautious if you get one, to make sure to do a lot of independence exercises, where you work on teaching your pup how to be by and amuse himself (mine stays out on our 10x 10 porch with a bunch of safe toys to occupy him so he learns to amuse himself and not rely totally on me), as SA is a bit of a problem in this breed.

Biting: If you don't like being mouthed, or your clothes being tugged on (of course you redirect this) or if you don't like the idea of having to carry a toy to redirect your dog when he gets excited and goes into piranha mode, than a MAS isnt for you.

Barking: If barking, while playing, because the neighbors came outside, a strange car came by, because they are extra happy/excited/energetic today etc ... than a MAS is not for you.

Reactivity: If reactivity to cars, other dogs, strangers, kids, bikes, etc ... isnt something you want to deal with, than a MAS might not be for you.

ABSOLUTELY do your breeder research, here is the standard for the mini american: http://www.namascusa.com/standard.php if you look at a breeder who doesnt breed dogs to this standard, then RUN from them, toy-like features and evidence of "other" breeds is a SERIOUS FAULT. Of course no dog is perfect, and the breeder doesnt have to show conformation, but they DO have to title their dogs in SOMETHING, whether it be sports, or whatever, I like to see BOTH showing and sports, I like to see that the dog has a mind behind their beauty.

Of course every MAS is different and Laurelen is absolutely right in that type can very GREATLY, but in general, a MAS should look like a "miniature" version of their standard aussie brethren, and not like they might have a papillon, or a pomeranian in their lineage somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Cloudy

Thanks everyone so much. Mini aussies are sounding more and more ideal after researching them. Does anyone have any breeder recommendations? How should I go about finding a pup?
I've been considering a MAS / mini aussie for a long time now, and I'd definitely go to this breeder for a pup if I got one: http://www.wiggleb.com/ Gorgeous dogs.

Members online