Mas

xpaeanx

Most "MAS" breeders have turned over to the new terminology of Miniature AMERICAN Shepherds, and this is what they are AKC recognized as.
http://www.mascusa.org

That's about all I can add about them. I don't have one myself so I can't speak to any personal experiences with them. But, if I was going to get one I would personally go with the a breeder who switched to the American. ASCA maintains that they will not recognize Miniature Australian Shepherds and AKC has approved the American breed.... I'm totally fine with new breeds being created and this one is accepted under Miniature American Shepherd, so I'd rather a breeder that goes with/joins the breed club.

StillandSilent

There are a few people here who have them, so they can answer better then me.

My personal experience has been very mixed. The vast majority of the ones I see are neurotic barkers with very little bite inhibition. But the ones who aren't are freaking fantastic! Smart, drivy and very charming. I also don't seem to see quite as much sharpness in the minis. And darn are they cute. We met one in agility last week who I wanted to snatch and run away with. He was perfection.

I think as an emerging breed, it's one of those where it's super important to find a good breeder. There are plenty that are producing great dogs, but they seem to be grossly outnumbered by the BYB's who are jumping on the 'mini' train.

My other observation is that a lot of the time the adults don't really look that much like aussies. They look aussie-ish, but nothing you would mistake for a purebred. I'm not sure how much the actual standard differs from a regular Aussie, so that could explain it, but I see a lot of very small pointy heads, or super long legs, or dogs who look more like shelties with docked tails.

These are just my observations from the ones I've met at the dog park or in class, or the ones who come to daycare. Hopefully someone who actually lives with one can help more.

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I know a lot of mini aussies, mini americans, and toy aussies. They are all very popular here.

The only difference between mini aussies and mini americans at this point in time is that mini americans are AKC. The mini American folk I know are very conscious about correcting people and explaining that they are a new and unique breed. The mini aussie and toy aussie folk tend to see the breed as size varieties of aussies.

As far as what they're like they vary a LOT. More than most breeds... The good ones are in my experience very good. They look like aussies but are in the 20-30 lb (ish) range. They're driven, trainable, stable... I know a handful that are like these and they are FUN dogs. I would have one.

I have met more that are very low key and have no drive. Tons look like merle chis or obese merle poms. I have seen a lot of very soft and timid dogs in the breed too. Not necessarily a bad thing per say (they were no worse than a lot of shelties or even Mia) but not really 'aussie-ish'. I have not met any super unstable ones, just ones that would be not great choices for people looking for an active dog and a good sizable portion that were skittish around people or strange dogs.

Pick your breeder carefully. Most the dogs I know that I like are from the same breeder. There are some really bad breeders out there. The dogs I have liked have all been from breeders that consider their dogs Miniature American Shepherds.

milos_mommy

Some great dogs out there - but many breeders trying to make a quick buck have introduced Pomeranians and other toy dogs into their lines to get the small size in fewer generations. A miniature Aussie should be a bred down in size pure Aussie, complete with health testing.

A breed that I think has great potential in the dog sport and pet world, but it's trendiness does bring in sketchy breeders. Be careful with that. They're largely quite high energy dogs, too. As much energy as a standard Aussie, but easier to wear out with some ball indoors or walks because of their size, obviously.

Can be very vocal, particularly lines with Pomeranian in them.

Interesting, so make sure to find an excellent breeder! I have met only one and he was PERFECTION. He was so nice and sweet and his name was Bandit. How much exercise do MASes need? How are they with noise level? Do they yip and nip? Anybody live with one or has dogsit one? Sorry about all these questions, I am really taking a liking to this breed.

Hey guys, so I have been looking at Dynasty MASes since Saturday and I think I really like them. Anything to set up a red flag on her site? Does anything seem bad? Thanks. :eek:
They seem pretty good to me, show in something to prove dogs ability, have minimal litters per year, health test, etc.

One thing I didn't see was any mention of a health contract/guarantee. That would be something I ask about, as well as their methods to raise/socialize the pups.

Maxy24

I was put off by them having three litters at once (how can you properly socialize three litters at the same time?) but it appears that the kennel is actually two different breeders who don't live together. So some litters are with Kim and some are with Fran.

They seem good to me based on a brief look over of the site. Health testing is there (I'm no Aussie expert so don't know if they do everything they should), most are titled and they participate in a variety of activities, not just conformation which is nice to see.

I'd want to know if the pups are kennel raised or home raised as that's important to ME. Find out all you can about how the pups are raised and what their criteria for breeding is.

BUT make sure this is really the right breed for you before getting too attached ;)

Thanks M24 (nicknames)! Yes I will (try) not get attached until I find out if it is perfect for me! I will ask both PD's and M24's questions. I will probably get my pup in the summer, because that is when we have the most free time! Their application sounds so great! It's nice to see that they care about where their puppies are going! The only puppies that are going home in June are Kim's puppies and they're in Georgia! :( But May is so close to June so it will probably work out! Anymore questions to ask?

milos_mommy

How much exercise do MASes need? How are they with noise level? Do they yip and nip? Anybody live with one or has dogsit one? Sorry about all these questions, I am really taking a liking to this breed.
They'll need a good deal of exercise, like most herders/working dogs , but IME it's a bit easier to manage exercising a dog this size, as they'll obviously tire out faster than a large dog on walks/runs, and can run around indoors much easier. One good long walk a day or some exercise in the yard plus some fetch or tug indoors, some short training sessions, and a bit of outdoor exercise a few times a week (dog park if they can handle it, as some herders aren't great at dog parks, swimming, hiking, or stuff like backyard frisbee or fetch off leash) is what I consider ideal for a dog like that.

Barkiness seems to vary a lot in the breed as far as I've seen. The dogs that appear mixed with toy breeds are more vocal, I've seen a few obnoxiously so. Most I've met have been pretty average barkers and nothing I'd be concerned about in an apartment or anything.

Herding breed puppies are nippy. Most puppies are nippy, actually. If they're properly trained and taught not to, they aren't...but I wouldn't recommend them for a family with small running children or cats unless the family had some experience training.

Sparrow

Someone at my training club has one. From talking with her, it is definitely important to know lines. Her boy is a nice dog, but a fair bit softer than I'd want personally.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Bump! I think Dynasty MASes are for me. I have checked their website and the dogs that have been bred. I just don't know what litter to go with! Fran has some good litters! :D
I like Rosie's structure best of the girls. Ref and Remi are my favorites of the studs.

Looks like Fran is out of Allegan. That isn't too far from me. :)

I just read about Kyra's death :(. At least two puppies were born before that happened. I might shoot for the next litter because most of them have been sold already. Plus, I need to prepare and decide if I even WANT a puppy now or later.

I just read about Kyra's death :(. At least two puppies were born before that happened. I might shoot for the next litter because most of them have been sold already. Plus, I need to prepare and decide if I even WANT a puppy now or later.
Oh no!

Well if you are unsure, I would wait.

But think, what is it that is making you unsure if you want a puppy now? What do you think will happen in the future? Will that make getting a puppy then better, the same, or worse? Etc.

I think what is stopping me is the fact that I don't know if I have enough time for a puppy. If I didn't it wouldn't be fair to the pup. I think getting it 6-14 months from know would be better because I can plan and see if it is the right time. Plus, I can do a lot more research and ask more questions on this forum! :D

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I know I am a tad late to the party, and I dont know what you ended up deciding, but I have a MAS (mini american), he is 8 months almost and he is 17 inches of CRAZY LOL. He might be "mini" but he is pure aussie in his attitude, his litter's mother was half standard and her litter was one of the last allowed outcrosses into the aussie breed before they made it "official" and closed the books. His mother was herding instinct certified and competed in herding trials. His father does flyball and is a dock diver.

He has crazy energy, he is very physical, whether it be "hip checking" me as I walk, or laying on my feet as I type this very post, aussies and MAS in general are very textile. They don't just love you they are "in love" (so to speak) with you, you are their world, you are the sun they revolve around, everything begins and ends with you.

Be cautious if you get one, to make sure to do a lot of independence exercises, where you work on teaching your pup how to be by and amuse himself (mine stays out on our 10x 10 porch with a bunch of safe toys to occupy him so he learns to amuse himself and not rely totally on me), as SA is a bit of a problem in this breed.

Biting: If you don't like being mouthed, or your clothes being tugged on (of course you redirect this) or if you don't like the idea of having to carry a toy to redirect your dog when he gets excited and goes into piranha mode, than a MAS isnt for you.

Barking: If barking, while playing, because the neighbors came outside, a strange car came by, because they are extra happy/excited/energetic today etc ... than a MAS is not for you.

Reactivity: If reactivity to cars, other dogs, strangers, kids, bikes, etc ... isnt something you want to deal with, than a MAS might not be for you.

ABSOLUTELY do your breeder research, here is the standard for the mini american: http://www.namascusa.com/standard.php if you look at a breeder who doesnt breed dogs to this standard, then RUN from them, toy-like features and evidence of "other" breeds is a SERIOUS FAULT. Of course no dog is perfect, and the breeder doesnt have to show conformation, but they DO have to title their dogs in SOMETHING, whether it be sports, or whatever, I like to see BOTH showing and sports, I like to see that the dog has a mind behind their beauty.

Of course every MAS is different and Laurelen is absolutely right in that type can very GREATLY, but in general, a MAS should look like a "miniature" version of their standard aussie brethren, and not like they might have a papillon, or a pomeranian in their lineage somewhere.

Sorry this was so long winded LOL. Also here are a couple of obligate pics ... just because ;) :D

Members online

No members online now.