Anatolians

I'd like to know more about Anatolians but not anecdotes about how they are as pets. I'm about to start buying cattle to raise for their meat and the 70 acres they'll be grazing is infested with coyotes. Every night you'll hear a huge pack of them chattering. Our coyotes out here regularly hit 50-60lbs and a small pack could easily take out a calf. The cattle are too expensive to continuously replace because of the coyotes.

I don't want a Great Pyrenees because I'm not dealing with the grooming requirements. It's regularly in the 90s with high humidity in the summer and down to the low teens in the winter. Another thing is I realize these dogs work independently from their owners. Which is fine because like I said, they will not be pets. Their main concern needs to be that all is well with the herd.

The fields are fenced with high tension wire and some barbed wire. I also need to know if they are prone to wandering because I don't want them to go check on another herd 3mi down the road. Or following some drifter who happens to walk by the pasture.

So let me know the good, the bad and the ugly about the breed. Do they have any major health issues I should be aware of? How would they handle a human trespasser because I don't need something on the level of a Fila but hunters poaching deer on the land would be a concern and I don't need them stressing out the cattle. A dog that would back up a threat if needed would be nice. The dog needs to have solid nerves and not back down at the slightest bit of pressure.

Members online

No members online now.