Border Collies

One of the most intense dog breeds, what about them? Do they really need 3+ hours daily like everyone says? How much do they shed? Temperament? Mental simulation ideas? Etc. I am in LOVE with herding breeds. I don't know why. :p

milos_mommy

Yeah, they do need that much exercise. Obviously it varies by individual, and mental stimulation is a lot of what they need.

They're prone to issues like anxiety, OCD, and even self mutilating or other destructive behaviors if not given proper stimulation. They are EXTREMELY intelligent, but not in the same way a lot of other breeds are. Their intensity and drive to work can easily turn into obsessiveness or be misdirected. I've known a few, with ill prepared owners, to become aggressive.

IMO border collies are not pet dogs. Sure, plenty of people who are not active in sports or living on a farm own them happily and successfully....but unless you're looking for a dog you can really actively train, take to classes, and CREATE outlets and opportunities for a dog that isn't a working/sport dog, you're not going to be a great home for a BC. I only really recommend them to people looking to compete in dog sports or have a super active lifestyle (IE horse people who will have the dog at the barn regularly, etc.)

That said, you can always fine a rare bench bred type dog that will tolerate more average exercise and mental stimulation. But I think if you're going to do that you might as well look at some other breeds.

Shedding I'd consider medium/high. They need regular brushing/coat maintenance and prepare to vacuum frequently. I don't believe they blow coat like some breeds. I could be wrong.

As far as mental stimulation you're going to be looking at things like agility, disc, fly ball, or really extensive trick training. There are other outlets like barn hunts, tribball, rally, etc. but that's going to depend on WHATS available in your area and how experiences a trainer you are.

I don't think I've ever recommended a BC to someone as a first dog.

That said, they're super smart, and I'm pretty sure the people who love them can't live without them. Not many other breeds can do everything a BC can with as much enthusiasm. They are VERY serious. Sometimes quite soft. Pretty biddable. Usually somewhat aloof with strangers.

DJEtzel

Well, they definitely don't and shouldn't need 3+ hours of exercise a day. That's just building up a tolerance. Get a dog with an off switch or teach it one! Recon gets like a half hour of physical exercise every day or two, a few days a week he goes to daycare or goes and plays hard at training, the park, a hike, etc... but not because he needs it, because it's fun for us both. He is considered a medium energy, medium drive dog.

Shedding is low-medium... definitely nothing like a German Shedder! I brush him once a month or so... there's no hair in my bed from him sleeping with me. I see a little in his crate/around his crate.

He loves training and thrives with a bit of it every day. We try to do a half hour of training in some regard so that he can work his mind, even simple and silly stuff.

They can be quirky, develop obsessions, etc, but they are very fun, active, loving dogs. Can be a little sensitive. Lots of shapes and sizes!

thehoundgirl

Some of them can be soft which means sensitive like DJEtzel said. I have met some that and not sensitive at all. But I have also met some that were very sensitive. So you can't really correct them in a harsh manner.

It might not break them but you want them to have a positive experience as with any dog. I do agree that they aren't the average pet dog. They need a job and you have to provide that even if you don't live on a farm you need to find activities to do with them. Like flyball (most of the ones I have met LOVE to play fetch!), dock diving, agility, lure coursing, etc.

And most would be happy if you would just play fetch with them. Most that I have met love love love playing fetch. Some are obsessive about it lol. As long as you exercise them physically and mentally you should be fine. And you can definitely train them to have an off switch. And you can consider taking the dog swimming if they like water. :)

Members online

No members online now.