Dog eating cat poop....why??

Dreeza

My friend's black lab is having a cat-poop eating issue. It has apparently always been an issue, but before, there just wasn't cat poop around. Now they live by a bunch of cats, so the problem as reemerged.

Is there a mineral deficiency here? Or just a bad habit?

I was trying to search on here for some answers, but the search sucks..

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
Because it's yummy!! That's what my dog's said Lmao! I think all dog's do it. We have a baby gate to they can't get to it. The second it's open they go charging in there. So we have We doggie poopy bags & clean every time the cat goes. lol

Well, our used to gulp, and I mean gulp the horse's poop. After I switched to a raw diet they don't even look at it anymore. So to me, that says its a nutritional issue. Something that is missing in commercial foods.

Maxy24

Could go either way I suppose, I think for most dogs, poop just tastes incredible. Phoebe eats any poop she can find. She used to steal from the litter box but I quickly taught her to leave the box alone (since she doesn't live here that was very easy). But she loves squirrel and rabbit poop too. However she does eat Pedigree so she could be missing something, but I don't think she's gonna find it in the poop of herbivores.

Dreeza

There are lots of veterinarian-recommended remedies out there, but a lot of it has to do with spraying the cat box with something that dogs cannot stand to smell.
yah unfortunately this is poop outside...they don't have a cat.

Is there a certain mineral/vitamin that commercial food lacks that may cause this? Like something they could add to the diet to see if it stops the issue?

Argon is raw fed and I swear he lies in wait for this new kitten to poop. Luckily, I've been getting there first, but I'm dreading the day he actually gets some.
Of course, this is the same dog that is crazy about Beneful, and will try and climb the runs at work to get some. Now where is that puking smily?

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Well, I have been told that cats don't digest the food as much as dogs do, so there is still some yummy stuff in there *Gross Smile*

Thats what I've always heard though, they might be wrong.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I tend to think 99% of the time it's "dog thinks poop tastes yummy" rather than "dog is not getting proper nutrition."

There are those cat scram sprays they make that you could try putting around the yard, not sure how well they all work though. We used to have a LOT of rabbits coming in the yard and Auggie was obsessed with nibbling rabbit poop. Bought a product called Rabbit Scram (actually got it for my mom's garden) and my dad put it around the perimeter of the whole yard... viola! No more rabbit poop. I believe there are also some plants that cats don't like the smell of..? Maybe try planting those?

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I would guess it is the "oh look--a treat!" category. Baxter is another who loooves to find rabbit poop in the yard. ICK.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Everydog we've ever had has loved cat poo, eventhough none of them have what I'd call poo eating issues. They have never eaten other dogs poo but they have all scavenged out of the cat tray at every chance.
They also love horse poo.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Well, our used to gulp, and I mean gulp the horse's poop. After I switched to a raw diet they don't even look at it anymore. So to me, that says its a nutritional issue. Something that is missing in commercial foods.
I do feed raw. Mine still go after horse poop. It smells like tripe.. why wouldn't they go after it. Dekka's dogs still sometimes snack on horse poop they also are fed raw and have lived with horses their entire lives.

Xandra

They eat it cuz its a tasty tasty treat. Roman, even when fed raw, freaking craved cat ****. Once he came up to me happily panting and I could see brown mash sticking to his gums and he breathed cat crap odor right into my face. FUDGE *mimes sticking finger down throat* LOL gross gross gross.

One of my least favorite parts of dog ownership.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
This reminds me of that old dog's maxim-"Eat a cat, you dine tonight. Keep that cat and you dine for a lifetime" it is a very common problem.

Members online

No members online now.