Urgent: Pit Bull needs help (midwest)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
My sister is notorious for thinking with her heart and not her head, and "rescuing" animals that need saving. When I was still in the state, she'd then dump them onto me to vet/care for/place. Now that I'm not around, she's bitten off more than she can chew and this dog needs help ASAP.

Meet Ava.

Ava is a young adult female Pit Bull that was rescued from a neglectful/abusive situation. She is now in my sisters care, who is unable to afford any kind of medical treatment for this dog. (My sister has her own animals that she can't afford to feed or vet, why she insists on collecting more animals that need medical care that she can't afford to do, I don't know and I'm extremely pissed about it. She is almost acting like an animal hoarder, only instead of keeping them when things get shitty she dumps them off somewhere. /rant over) She is currently being kept in an outdoor kennel in the Indiana heat, with no medical care. She has shelter, food, and water, but that is about it at the moment. She has put on some much needed weight (actually looks good right now) and the sores on her hips/tail are almost healed, although the spot on her tail still looks very concerning to me.

She is aggressive/fearful towards strangers and men (I don't blame her), but is extremely food motivated and when introduced to people in a controlled setting who are bearing treats, she's able to accept them in short time. I have no idea how she is with other dogs/cats, but she could be tested.

In Ava's prior home, where she was staying until about a week ago when my sister took her, she bred with a male Pit Bull. So she needs an emergency spay/abort done ASAP, before any puppies develop. She also needs a heartworm test, started on heartworm prevention if she's not heartworm positive, a fecal check, and basic vaccinations. My sister is unable to do any of these things (or fails to see the urgency of having them done). I am terrified that my sister will wait until it is too late, and then she'll have a litter of puppies to deal with who also will be kept outside, have no socialization, and no medical care. If the whelp goes off without a hitch that is - heaven forbid this dog need any assistance, because it won't happen.

Is ANYONE able to help, or know of a place that can? Local rescues are full and my sister refuses to take the dog to the humane society because "they may put her down since she doesn't like strangers". rant/ Well, that may be better than dying of heartworm, heat stroke, a whelp gone wrong, or being placed in the wrong home and then biting someone, resulting in euthanasia. But, what do I know. /endrant

I am 900 miles away at the moment, so there is only so much I can do, but if I can coordinate anything I will do my best. This dog just needs to be in a new place getting the care she needs NOW.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I think we have found a place that will spay her/vaccinate for $70, so that will hopefully be taken care of soon. This girlie still really needs her own home, though.

Members online

No members online now.