This pisses me off!

xpaeanx

I've got to agree on the "bad situation all around" front - but I must disagree on the "everyone was at fault" mentality.

I feel bad for the kid and feel bad for the kid's family for the guilt they are probably dealing with over the consequences of having let their kid out of sight for a matter of seconds. That said, it upsets me that the dog owners are being blamed at all in this situation considering that the dog was on its own property and had no history of aggression and considering that no one has a clue what exactly transpired before the child was bitten.

The dog was restrained on its own property. It was not known to be "dangerous." While I think leaving a dog tethered unattended is not the world's smartest decision, I don't think that it is grounds for the family to have their dog (legally their property) destroyed. If I have a grill and the neighbor kid comes into my yard and turns the thing on and then climbs on top of it and suffers serious burns, is that my fault? Even if the child was too young to know better?

Or if I had a pond in my backyard and your kid wandered onto my property and drowned, I would be hard-pressed to field the guilt. I understand that in our "sue happy" legal system, people DO try (and succeed) to place blame on the third party on account of their own actions, but I believe that this mentality is approaching a very slippery slope towards an immoral justice system.

I have other issues with the situation and the dog owners hardly sound like exemplary owners, but in this situation, I think that the parents of the child were at fault. If the scenario involved a purebred, normally friendly, pregnant dog with amazing owners who left it for five minutes alone in their fully fenced yard while they ran inside to use the bathroom...... then the story transpires as it started (except with the toddler letting himself in through the gate and then grabbing the dog's tail)... do your opinions change? I don't think that any of the adjustments are relevant to the actual situation at hand, so I tend to believe that in both situations, the child's parent was at fault.

If my dog were to run into a neighbor's yard and get taunted/hurt by the neighbor child who was too young to know better (or dog), that would be MY fault. I would be pissed, no doubt, but the bottom line is that I didn't have control over my dog and he was on somebody else's property. The situation would be different of course if the harm was enacted by a human with malicious intent, but I think that most would agree that neither dogs nor very young children have true "malicious" intent in the way that we tend to think of the word.
So much THIS.

BostonBanker

So the mother, to protect her child, wants the dog killed - when in theory the dog bit to protect her puppies (I'm not sure I buy that, but it seems the article thinks that was the issue). The irony is so thick you can barely walk though it.

Or if I had a pond in my backyard and your kid wandered onto my property and drowned, I would be hard-pressed to field the guilt
The legal system wouldn't have much trouble finding it. Pools and the like are considered "attractive nuisances" - it is basically the job of the owner to ensure that random children aren't drawn to the object and injured. I have heard of people with horses having concerns about the same thing. A kid gets into your pasture with an aggressive horse - it could be your fault as a horse is an attractive nuisance (which is pretty much the best definition of a horse I've ever heard).

Having said that - I actually agree with you. The dog was restrained on its own property. It was, in my mind "under control". There was zero risk of that dog biting until the child crossed onto private property and put himself in that circle where the dog could reach.

To be clear, if we're assigning blame (because who doesn't love to judge strangers on the internet? :p) I think that goes almost exclusively on the parents. Yes, little kids wander away and do stupid things, but that doesn't absolve parents from their responsibility any more than anyone would absolve me of the responsibility of containing my dog if he (and we all know who I'm talking about, here) did something like knock a panel of the fence out and run amok wreaking havoc on the neighborhood. "Oh well, sometimes dogs break through fences and escape," yea I'd like to see how that would fly.

Actually, I wouldn't.

Having said that, if my dog was PTS (which I understand wasn't ultimately the case in this instance) because some kid wandered into my yard and got bitten in the face, it would hardly matter to me or my dog whose fault it was. My dog would be dead and I would be heartbroken. And if picking up someone else's slack is how to keep that from happening, then that's life.

Xandra

Glad the dog was returned.

If one of your charges manages to injury itself while trespassing then it's your fault.

Being liable for trespassers is one of the most unjust parts of the legal system IMO.

You can imagine I have an extremely low opinion of the mother.

I guess the dog owner isn't the paradigm of responsibility but they definitely cared or they wouldn't have so diligently worked to meet the conditions to have their dog returned. Too bad they can't sue the mother for causing them all that grief.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So... just a warning right now but I am putting on my devil's advocate hat.

What makes this case very different from Mickey the pit bull's case? My first thought was that this sounded AWFULLY similar to what happened with Mickey- young child approaching tethered dog and getting bitten in the face.

But yet there is a much different reaction on here to this case vs the Mickey one? Why is that?

crazedACD

A kid gets into your pasture with an aggressive horse - it could be your fault as a horse is an attractive nuisance (which is pretty much the best definition of a horse I've ever heard).
Yesss. Barn owner got into trouble and had to cover medical bills over someone feeding her horses at the fence line, and got bit. And the property was set back from the road, someone came through the woods or neighboring properties to get to the horses. She had to put up signs about not feeding the horses.

Paviche

Duuuuude.

What makes this case very different from Mickey the pit bull's case? My first thought was that this sounded AWFULLY similar to what happened with Mickey- young child approaching tethered dog and getting bitten in the face.

But yet there is a much different reaction on here to this case vs the Mickey one? Why is that?
IMO the major difference is that Mickey mauled the hell out of Kevin Vicente. The damage that Stormy caused are merely scratches compared to what Mickey did.

Not to mention this dog showed a whole lot of bite inhibition and only left a small puncture... whereas Mickey fractured a kid's skull/jaw and an eye needed be enucleated, if I recall correctly.

A bite is not a bite is not a bite. Some bites indicate a vicious dog and euthanasia is the best course. This wasn't one of those bites.

BostonBanker

For me, simply the severity of the bites is a huge difference. As awful is any bite is to a face, the bite in this case looked like one good snap. Mickey, if I recall correctly, had multiple bites, broke bone, and did serious muscle damage.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm not 100% familiar with the case, but just from a quick looksie my first impression was the amount of damage done. A dog that mauls a person is COMPLETELY different than a dog that bites. Completely. A dog knows how much damage it is doing.

Secondly, in the Mickey incident, the trigger was known. The child picked up a bone that was in the dog's vicinity and it *attacked*. It didn't just snap a warning, it went after the boy with intent to do bodily harm.
Which is entirely different than a dog biting a child in the face who likely was crowding her personal space and she couldn't get away.

My .02, anyway.

Romy

Taxiderpy
His mom should be thanking her lucky stars her kid wasn't mowed down by a car or abducted by a pedophile while he wandered unsupervised. Ugh. I have two extremely active children. Extremely active. With those kinds of children, you just have to be 100x more vigilant.

To me, the biggest difference between Stormy and Mickey is that Mickey's owner agreed to give him up. If he had fenced the yard and done the same thimg Stormy's owner did to take precautions, he should have gotten Mickey back as well.

But it would have been irresponsible for anyone to rehome Mickey due to the severith of the attack and his ownet didn't want him back, so the only choice was to pts.

Xandra

With the Mickey case, he grabbed and shook vs snapped. That was one difference. The other big factor is that the owners wanted him put down.

I was then and still am very reluctant to accept a dog that bites a trespasser facing mandatory euthanasia.

I have a great memory :) I was one of the first people to post on that thread :rofl1:

My opinion is still the same, people need to demand better from their dogs and if they accept less, they need to manage more.

The differences to me are the level of damage that occurred. One clearly looks like a "back off" snap and done. No adults around, nobody to see, but nobody to intervene or anything either. A dog with real ill intent probably could have easily maimed or killed that 4 year old.

In the Mickey story, adults were present and they were needed to remove the dog from the child and his injuries looked to be a lot more severe. If the adults weren't there, not so sure the kid would be lucky enough to just have to live with a disfigured face.

To me it was more than just a "back off" and even those with children that are of that age strike a real chord with me. I don't care what size they are, where their faces are, at what level, nothing, a good dog can recognize that a 4 year old and under isn't a threat. I know people and experts have been making excuses for why little kids get bit by dogs, and it mostly comes down to poor supervision of dogs with poor temperament.

I think Mickey could have been "saved" with just proper management. Don't give him bones unless he's locked away and nobody can get to him and keep him away from kids. but I'm certainly not going to come to his defense to save him either. He already showed he was capable of a lot of damage and was a danger.

If he was good in every other way, I'd say both dogs could be kept safe and others kept safe with simple management steps, but the intensity of the bites is a big reason why I think people have a difference of opinion between the two incidents. at least for me it is, and the fact that adults were present and needed to save one boy, and not around for the other and the dog didn't maintain an attack once its message was received.

Paige

Let it be
As both a dog owner and a mom I feel this situation just sucks. In a perfect world parents don't lose sight of their kids and dogs aren't left outside unsupervised. Unfortunately the world isn't perfect and stuff like this happens.

I don't know how I feel about what should happen. I understand both sides of this and I think it just was unfortunate that it had to happen. There doesn't seem like there is a right or wrong way to deal with it.

Members online

No members online now.