Argghhh-just had to vent

skyhigh

Dont you just hate it when your friends come over and think they can teach your dogs commands. One of my friends came over and thought they could yell at my dog for him jumping up on them. I warned them that he jumps and is still learning to stay down. They yelled at him and he was sooo scared that he ran to me and hid behind me. :mad: Anyway, turns out im not he friend anymore. Kinda glad too. The other thing is, her dog isnt even trained. It's a LARGE thing that cant even sit. We had her over to baby sit her and she attacked my dog. Grrrrrr :mad:

Ours just look at someone who tries to tell them something - and no one's really brave enough to try to physically do anything ;) But I'd be livid if someone tried it, and I doubt they'd ever be back in my good graces . . . or my home.

skyhigh

Spencer is a bit too over it with people. He loves everyone to bits. Even strangers that come to the door. He'll bring his favourt toys to them. If someone tries to touch him he'll gladly accept the offer. He's probably thinking, 'yeh, a little to the left, nup, to far, little right...ohh yeh, thats the spot' lol. I've always wondered, what do filas look like. I did a search on google. it came up with all different types of dogs. You have filas right? Anyway, i tink im a bit off topic. LOL.

skyhigh

Thanks. They're gorgeous. I love them. Always thought they were tiny little dogs from google images. Wow. I want one. lol

ROFL! Oh, they think they're tiny little dogs when they try to crawl up in your lap! Kharma's father, Gamble, weighs about 170 pounds - without an extra ounce of fat anywhere. Now Gamble is a dog that no one - I mean NO ONE is ever going to try to order around, lol! The first thing that crossed my mind when I met him was R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

It always seems everyone has a cure for jumping up! Urgh! One time when OC was younger he started jumping up on someone and they took it upon themselves to put up their knee so he'd get it in the chest next time he jumped up on them. I'll tell you, it stopped him from jumping up again, but it only stopped him cause they knocked the wind right out of him!!!!!!!! I was soooooooo mad!!!!!!

Melissa_W

I would never do that to someone else's dog. That's just rude. It's like coming over and yelling at their kid or something. If I go over to someone's house and they have dogs that jump, I just ignore it. It's not really that big of a deal.

I would never try to train anyone elses dog unless they ask me too.If anyones dog is biting me though I will stop it.If someones dog does jump up on me I say off,if they dont listen I tell the owner to deal with the dog.When I was pregnant with my daughter I was jumped on by a large dog,I freaked at the owner you have to control your dog when you invite people over.I have a GSD who knows to behave when company is over.She was trained from a early age that jumping up is not acceptable.Which all dogs should be trained to know.

We have one friend, David, that the grrrrrls and Bimmer adore. Shiva and Kharma WILL try to knock each other out of position to get next to him, which sometimes results in David getting jumped on, lol! He just quietly tells them, "Girls, now get down and let me by." They calm down (a little) and let him get to a seat where they can get to him without having to jump. If they don't back down when David tells them to, Bimmer gets after them and that's the end of THAT! Needless to say, Bimmer is David's favorite, lol!

Completely off topic, but here goes anyway. Renee, your dogs look beautiful. I have only ever seen them *in the flesh* so to speak at a dog show, at the Molosser stand, and I was rather in awe. No chance of me ever owning such a breed as I have a postage stamp for a garden, but I am content with my very little Molosser! BTW, do they really have an aversion to strangers, and when your dogs meet someone new when they are with you do they eventually accept them if you introduce them to the newcomer?

That's interesting to hear that you saw them at a show! What kind of show was it?

Fila are supposed to have a very strong aversion to strangers, and are not required to allow the judge to touch them at all when shown. They may or may not accept a newcomer, but will tolerate someone within their proximity if I tell them to. Some people they will decide are part of their extended family and they will develop a real friendship with those chosen few, and mine know how to behave in a civil manner when we're out in public. But when they are on their own home territory everyone (except for David, who they've decided is family, lol) has to wait in their car until we come out. The guys from the Farmers' Co-op have figured out that they can drop stuff off to deliver, but wouldn't pick anything up for any amount of money!

LOL, the Co~op guys!! I can see where they are coming from! I saw them at a very large show in Switzerland at a venue in Lausanne. They werent being shown in the ring, but were at the Molosser stand as pets of people who had set up the stand. Perhaps they were not being shown because of what you say about not being required to allow the judge to touch them? It wouldnt have been because there were too few of them (there were 2), as there were other breeds with very small show numbers. I find them a very interesting breed and also very regal looking, but will have to satisfy myself by seeing them now and again at large dog shows! Thanks for the info.

Most Fila people try to keep our breed out of the mainstream organizations as we know the first thing that would happen would be ruining the temperament and the work ethic. Then the health would go down the tubes . . .

Even our temperament test is completely different from the standard, lol!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
When i have a new and excitable dog..first i put them in the bedroom before i open the door..then after people are settled and the dogs have had a chance to hear voices and smells thru the door,i bring the new dog out on a leash and have then down stay. If company wants to visit with the dog ..then i take off the leash and allow them to get meet each other.Avoids lots of frustration for everyone that way.

Becca_

chowchow
We have a couple of friends who dont knock when they come over, just come on in (something we started with them). We can always tell which one it is if we are back in the office. One we will hear a excited Princess, the other we will hear "get down!". Well today we heard "get down!", so we knew who it was, before we got to the front heard another guy saying "your so pretty! HI! yes, arent you just so beautiful", going on and on. A guy I didnt know was giving Princess all kinds of attention, she was eatting it up. The friend went back in the office with my husband and this guy just kept giving Princess attention. Princess stood on her back legs while he rubbed her belly, she was so happy. After that she laid down and didnt beg for attention. This guy has 9 dogs of his own. Loves dogs. I thought how nice it is to have someone come in here that doesnt get upset over Princess wanting to greet with a hug, or us having to pen her up so she cant jump. Nice change from "GET DOWN!".

I have a problem with my neighbors whom I dearly love coming over and feeding Chloe and Jack things like chocolate chip cookies, cream pies...LOL I just don't have the heart to say anything to them, they're such dear people.

Members online