sleeping with dogs

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i wanted to share this paragraph from a short story collection i was reading..

The story is called Deep River by Leslie F Hart

ONe night Rob would lie awake, unable to sleep. Nothing would stir in the house. He would hear the soft pad-pad-pad of steps in the grass outside the house, the muted thud of paws springing from the ground to the veranda. They would come through the swinging doors, up the stairs, through the hall. He would screw his eyes shut.pad-pad-pad into his room, and he could hear the bedsprings groan under her weight as she leaped onto his bed. he would have to stifle his laughter as the icy nose shoved at his face and the spatula-tongue lapped his ear moistly. The bearlike head would shove under his chin in the darkness, find no response, and the dog would curl up ath the foot of the bed. Sleep could come then, along with the slow slipping of a great burden from the left side of his chest, an unfettering of his heart.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
an unfettering of his heart..that is exactly the way it is for me..Thank you Bronki, Mary and Vic for all the peace you bring me. This is why i sleep with dogs..I wouldn't have it any other way. Victor is so sweet..he noses the blankets and dives underneath curling up against me..then he sighs sucks and swallows (something i have learned dogs do when they are completely relaxed and content..and happy) I am asleep almost the same instant he is. Mary is so warm against my back. She too thump thump is happy.

gapeach

Big Mutts
:) That just warms your heart doesn't it? Although Carey has her own bed because ours is not big enough for three! No room for people babies or furbabies :D

dani12

We used to let our Chesapeake sleep with us until we got pregnant and there wasn't enough room for a 100 lb. dog and my belly. I do miss it though...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i had to remove the box springs and put the mattress much lower to the floor for Mary..i read almost any animal story i can lay my hands on..i just never read such a good discription of exactly how i feel..the unburdening and unfettering. The author found just the right words..glad you liked it too.

i used to share a bed with 4 dogs, now its only when serge is on nightshift, then its me ellie and 2 dogs in a bed. not a lot of sleeping but its so cosy to wake up to

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ah your the best Bichon Lover..that sounds about perfect!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Sawyer likes to jump into bed with me when I go to bed, but he always gets down sometime during the night to sleep on the floor where it's cooler. Then about 6 or 7 am, he'll hop back up to cuddle a bit before pestering me awake.

The other morning my dad came into tell me to call the tow truck and Sawyer hopped into bed, laid his head on my chest as my dad told him to get down and gave my dad this look of "I'm not moving and you can't do a thing about it."

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Nalla is the same way, the only time she is content on the bed is if she is under the covers and that girl knows how to make a mess of a bed in 10 sec. flat. I let them sleep with me if I am the only one home that way I can tell if something goes bump in the night. I love to roll over and feel my babies next to me.

Members online