Hercules at the training school

Y

yuckaduck

oriondw said:
8 months old, 3 months, protection training and "do everything a police dog could" just doesnt add up.

:p Sorry, thats just my opinion, and the fact that you are not the one who is training him.... sounds like wasted money :)

Wow 3 months training to do everything a police dog can do. Yikes that must be a genouis dog or something. I think you are being lead a stray just a bit. Just protection training is not everything a police dog does either. They search, do drug detection, do bomb searches, do search and rescue work, do apprehension work. They do more than just protect. Oh well it is a pet so as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
I don't agree with it either...did I say that? :eek: I would DIE to leave Sunny alone for more then a week (a day is pushing it sometimes). That's not my point. It seems like lately everyone is jumping on everyone elses back. I know it's hurtful to me when I am excited about something and people just give me all the reasons I shouldn't. I'm not saying you have to agree with her, but it sounds like Herc is already there. What about us talking down the idea is going to change that? They use the program to train police dogs. I bet she'll come out with a very obediant dog. Not neccisarily everyone needs/wants that kind of training for their pooch. If she does and she trusts it and Herc is already there,then why should everyone say what a bad idea it is? Yes, everyone can express opinions but it seems like if someone goes against the general opinion anyway they just attacked. Just my observation. Please, i'm not trying to start a fight. I wouldn't do this but some people do. I wouldn't use a choke chain on Sunny either but some people will SWEAR that if they are used right they are the BEST tool for an unruly dog. Opinions are like buttholes: everyone has one and most if not all of them tend to stink. I just see a lot of negativity and it saddens me is all. I still hold that if police dogs (whom I have met before and the ones I have met were just darling) are being trained this way, I see no reason to completely write off the idea as a stupid one. People entrust their lives to those dogs, so they have to be trained right. Again, just my opinion. I'm gonna stop voicing it now since it seems to be the wrong one.

Y

yuckaduck

Purr said:
I wouldn't send my puppies away for three months, personally. And, I certainly wouldn't let someone else teach them to bite. JMO. Eight months old seems a bit young to me :confused:
It is not young actually it is old for that type of training. They start them at 6 months here and sometimes at 5 months.

Y

yuckaduck

I too am not arguing it is not my dog to make any decisions on, and if you are happy then that is all that matters. It is your dog and your money but I still gotta wonder.

Saje

Island dweller
I don't think anyone is arguing. And the people on this forum like to help and give their opinions. I don't know if the dog is there or not but it never hurts to have more opinions. I like to go into something with feedback from other people. Some I take, some I leave behind. It's still good to know. I don't think anyone on this thread has been negative!!???!! Have they? We all love each other and feel free to express our opinions. I know if I was doing something that may not be good for Maverick or Mikey or Nanook everyone here would let me know. And I'm glad for that.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Saje, I have to agree that it's great being on this forum where we can express our opinions on different subjects. There are many forums out there where people just attack others and don't remember that the main objective is to talk about our pets and try to help each other out when we need help.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I have to agree with sunny on this one. People aren't so much attacking others on this thread not like I have seen on others but sunny has a point. They train police dogs they MUST know what they are doing. These dogs go from a work environment to a home environment without blinking an eye. These people Know what they are doing with these dogs. Also the cop that takes the dog isn't always the cop that trains the dog and I always hear what an unbelievable bond they have with their dogs. So I don't think that whole "they have a deeper bond with their trainer than their owner" thing really flies in this situation. If she was sending the dog away to some training facility where they just train him basic obedience but keep him for three months THEN i would be a little leary but its not. It's for police dogs.

I have been away from my dog for three days and already i want to die without him. I miss him so much I definately wouldn't be without him by choice but I don't think she is wrong for doing what she is doing by any means. i coudln't do it but it takes all kinds

oriondw

user not active
sparks19 said:
I have to agree with sunny on this one. People aren't so much attacking others on this thread not like I have seen on others but sunny has a point. They train police dogs they MUST know what they are doing. These dogs go from a work environment to a home environment without blinking an eye. These people Know what they are doing with these dogs. Also the cop that takes the dog isn't always the cop that trains the dog and I always hear what an unbelievable bond they have with their dogs. So I don't think that whole "they have a deeper bond with their trainer than their owner" thing really flies in this situation. If she was sending the dog away to some training facility where they just train him basic obedience but keep him for three months THEN i would be a little leary but its not. It's for police dogs.

I have been away from my dog for three days and already i want to die without him. I miss him so much I definately wouldn't be without him by choice but I don't think she is wrong for doing what she is doing by any means. i coudln't do it but it takes all kinds
Yeah, they know what they are doing. They also have a business to run. Saying that they will teach an 8 month old dog everything a police dog knows in 3 month is simply a sales pitch im afraid.

Dobepip

There must be some misunderstanding. I didn't mean he could do specialized work for police dogs such as drug detection or bomb searches. They told me they wouldn't teach him those because he couldn't learn and they're not allowed to do so. They just trained him to be obedient, protective and he could do it very well after training.

Last edited:

Fran27

I hear you Sunny, when I said I wanted another dog when Boris was 7 months people told me to wait until he was 2 year old, but I didn't, and I'm so glad I didn't. It just takes much more into account than just the age of the first dog to get another one.

Anyway, I have no clue how police trains their dog so I can't say anything about the subject. I just know I wouldn't want my dog to be trained to be a protection dog, it comes to him naturally, and I wouldn't want anyone else to train my pups either. But it's really everyone's decision.

Members online

No members online now.