What breeds do you aesthetically prefer "altered"?

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Tails <3. Full length crazy tails <3 <3 No exceptions.

The only breed I prefer cropped from an aesthetic standpoint is Dobes but it's not a strong preference and I actually prefer a mid length crop to short or the superlong show crops. That said, aesthetically Dobes are not really my kind of dog anyway so my opinion on their ears is kinda moot.

Beauceron, Boxers, Danes, Pyr Sheps, etc. I all much prefer natural, looks-wise.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I don't like ears this short in bully breeds either.. IMO these crops are done wrong/poorly/too short.

I like these.
I agree, I dont like rose cuts, either :p I like the short crops like the bottom pic you posted. I also like a mid length crop on a dobe / boxer / corso / Beauceron etc, but mostly because its easier to care for. With the longer crops, I have seen them heal bad, even if the owner does everything right :p

Kootenay

I think the only breed that I WAY prefer cropped is Beaucerons. I find they look like a nondescript mixed breed when uncropped, but I really like their look when cropped.

I also like the look of a well done Doberman crop.

That being said, I really would be hesitant to deal with cropping my own dog, so I would probably avoid those breeds for that reason...

I love tails. I love when I see tails on dogs that are normally docked. I HATE when mixed dogs are docked, because there's no breed standard to comply with. I accept that 95% of the Yorkies I groom will have nubs, but a Yorkie Shih Tzu? That really upsets me. Probably would be a really nice tail, too.
Knarly had his tail docked. I personally like it [and prefer it in his case] and I couldn't picture him with one, though he does take more of the yorki look and that could be why. His sister and brother also look/ed fine with docked.

However, we had a lab/springer spaniel mix when I was growing up and she had her tail docked...though she looked ok for most part, it did stick out a little bit because she clearly took after the lab and even at birth, you would have thought they would have left it natural [being she was completely black].

Lovely dogs regardless, but some times wonder what people are thinking at the time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Hank is a docked mutt. I feel like Hank would have a really annoying gay tail if he were not docked. It's set really high.

That said I wish he weren't docked. But the nubbin is cute.

I think it's pretty common (around here at least) for mixed breed dogs where one parent is commonly docked to dock the puppies.

Mixed breed docking doesn't bother me more than normal docking at all. 'Breed Standard' isn't a better reason to me than 'Because I want to'. It's the same procedure and they're all dogs.

amberdyan

Mixed breed docking doesn't bother me more than normal docking at all. 'Breed Standard' isn't a better reason to me than 'Because I want to'. It's the same procedure and they're all dogs.
I agree. It's confusing to me to say it's okay to dock/crop for breed standard, (when most dogs aren't used for the work that they were historically altered for) but it's not okay just because you like it. It seems cropping/docking for a breed standard when you're dog isn't going to work for the reason it's altered IS just altering because you like it.

But I'm pretty ignorant of the reasons/practices, so I hope I don't come off sounding judgmental.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Woot woot, I'm glad to see many Chazzers don't hate my dogs' ears. :)

2014KayleePoison by sizzzle_dog, on Flickr

I really... don't care much. I prefer to see cropped breeds cropped and docked breeds docked, but ONLY if it's done right. I'd take an uncropped/undocked Doberman over a poorly cropped/docked Doberman any day. That said, I much prefer drop ears that are either naturally correct or have been taped to be correct.

Bostons I do like uncropped. I understand most are uncropped these days, but I personally think cropped ears just look odd on the breed.
Danes and Boxers I can go either way, but for Pete's sake.... POST THEM PROPERLY!

Sekah

The Monster.
I think Cohen would have an awesome tail.

I used to be all :smarm: about Aussies needing to be docked, but as I get more into the sport world and just generally more involved in performance and dogs, I really really wish she had a tail, and think the dock should be completely removed from the breed standard.

Dew claws too. Just leave them on. Cohen's bald patches get all scratched up and scabby all the time because they have no fur to protect them.

I don't really have much of an opinion on other breeds. Generally, I think I prefer just to leave 'em all natural.

JacksonsMom

I agree. It's confusing to me to say it's okay to dock/crop for breed standard, (when most dogs aren't used for the work that they were historically altered for) but it's not okay just because you like it. It seems cropping/docking for a breed standard when you're dog isn't going to work for the reason it's altered IS just altering because you like it.

But I'm pretty ignorant of the reasons/practices, so I hope I don't come off sounding judgmental.
Yeah no I feel the same way. I think docking/cropping for breed standard is kind of lame, too, but whatever. I'm not one who wants it banned or anything. I just find the reasoning kind of silly.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I think Cohen would have an awesome tail.

I used to be all :smarm: about Aussies needing to be docked, but as I get more into the sport world and just generally more involved in performance and dogs, I really really wish she had a tail, and think the dock should be completely removed from the breed standard.

Dew claws too. Just leave them on. Cohen's bald patches get all scratched up and scabby all the time because they have no fur to protect them.

I don't really have much of an opinion on other breeds. Generally, I think I prefer just to leave 'em all natural.
Cohen having a tail would be very dangerous. As in, I'd probably be forced to steal her.

AmberD

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I didn't say I agree with docking tails of purebred dogs. It's not an ethics thread, so I tried to be pretty neutral about it. But the fact is that as a dog groomer, I see a dozen or two (or three) dogs a day, and the vast majority of the breeds that are "supposed" to be docked because of breed standard are in fact docked, and that's something I expect and accept. Breeders do that when the puppies are babies, and some breeders require ear cropping as part of their contracts. People who get the dog to show often have to make the choice to crop if they want their dog to be successful in the show ring. So while it's not a choice I'd make personally, I accept and expect a lot of dogs I see to be "altered" because of breed standard.

I do not expect to see a golden retriever without a tail. There are a few reasons why that might have happened, but I highly doubt that it was because the breeder decided to put out a litter of nub-tailed goldens because they wanted to. However, if you ever stumbled across a golden retriever with cropped ears, would you not be taken aback a bit? If the dog's owner had it done "because [they] wanted to," would you not think that odd? So I'm taken aback a little when I see a designer dog without a tail. It doesn't mean I think purebreds are less deserving of a tail or more deserving of the discomfort involved in cropping/docking. It's just that because there's no "reason," I don't expect it, and I'll admit I do have a harder time accepting it.

kady05

I have 2 cropped dogs, so you can probably guess my mentality on the subject ;)

Dobes HAVE to be cropped and docked. Sorry, but they look like a hound if they're natural IMO. My friend has Rotties so has turned me into a docking snob with them as well. I've seen some in person with tails and bleh. They're all bushy and weird looking. Do not like.

Danes I prefer cropped as well. Boxers I can go either way with the ears, but I prefer them docked.

I can go either way with Bully breeds. I love a nice show crop on an Amstaff or APBT, obviously. The short "cut off their ears" crops that look like hack jobs, no thanks. I have considered leaving my next Amstaff natural, if it had nice natural ears to start with. We shall see.

I always tell people that if they aren't going to go to a well known cropping vet to not even bother cropping their dogs ears (this would go for any breed really). To me, a bad crop is way worse than goofy natural ears. Some bad crops can be fixed, like if they leave too much bell. But cut too much ear off? No fixing that.

Same goes for aftercare. If you have a Dane/Dobe/Boxer and you aren't willing to post ears for months, don't crop them. Hate hate hate seeing the dogs with longer crops who have ears that fall on their heads. For Bully breeds, posting is often needed as well. Can't tell you how many I've met who have ears laying on their heads because their owners didn't post them, or posted incorrectly. Completely ruins a dogs whole look.

Okay, went off on a tangent. Moral to the story: I prefer most every breed that "should" be cropped/docked, to be cropped/docked ;)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
LOL there was a huge debate going on concerning cropped and docked in one of the FB I am on, where someone was convinced it was cruel to dock, uh ... no ... trust me, they dont even remember it. They are blind and deaf when its done, and dont know whats going on anyway. Now a bad crop, or one not done by a professional (some guy at home with scissors etc ... same with tail docking) yes, that is cruel. But a professional job done by a professional in a clinic? I cant see how someone would think that was cruel.

Members online

No members online now.