Imput if you have time?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
don't know if anyone can respond to this quickly or not. A man washed his dog, did not get all the soap off, I suspect the soap he used was a medicated shampoo for fleas. HE then applied bio spot. THe dog is 14 years old. When I saw the dog, he was wall eyed, panting hard, and acting like his skin was on fire. I tried to tell the man that I thought his dog was in dire distress and would he let me help, he became very angry took the dog and left. My heart is very heavy, I was just offering to bathe the dog, and I would have even given him the money to replace the bio spot if he wanted, the dog was a 14 year old beagle, I was told I was insulting the man. What I wanted to do was help his dog. Just feeling sick. IS this as dangerous as i think it is, for any dog let alone a senior, isn't that a double dose?

I am not going to apologize for the fact that I am incapable of not seeing a medical emergency, get mad at me or not. THe man himself is very ill. Second reason I was trying to help. I feel badly that I upset him, because I do not feel he was in his right mind at this time. I do feel sick about the dog however and do not know how else I could of handled it. FOr the record I do not know where he lives or have a number to reach him. I for the life of me do not know why people do not trust me at times like this. I am not saying that anyone did it on purpose, or that he hasnt' cared for the dog the 14 years he has had him.

Barb04

Super Moderator
From what I saw online, you did the right thing. All I could find is that you shouldn't apply biospot if you've just used a flea shampoo. I hope the dog will be okay.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I didn't handle my mouth right...I should have more honey less vinegar kind of thing, because the way it went down, I made the man mad and the dog got no help. I thought about that dog all night. I looked on line and I couldn't find exact wording to say if it was the crisis I thought it was.I made another person angry at me. Honestly I don't know how I am suppose to not see. I don't want to be the person that just stands there and do nothing, I won't be no matter how people feel I am being. But there has to be a better way of getting over around or under an ego so you can help the misery. That poor dang dog. I won't know the outcome either. I hope with all my heart that it isnt' what I think it was going to be. Seriously sir, your dog is on fire is what I wnated to say. You ahve to do something, and if you can/t...LET ME. Being told it's not your dog, when something is reacting that way to what obviously is a chemical reaction and I am suppose to just sit there? I just wanted to get the stuff OFF of his skin.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
You don't have to not see it, but changing how you approach it is probably the best way to avoid this outcome in the future. 'Honey' may feel like it doesn't imply the necessary urgency, but it's def the way to go in most situations.

I know it's hard, but you're not going to be able to help every case and if you obsess this much over every one you're going to drive yourself crazy.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
That is it exactly. Every one makes me crazy if it is something I can easily remedy or it should be a grab and run. It's like that thing that wnet around facebook about the glass of water and how holding it for a few minutes is fine, a few hours, your arm aches and a day your stuck in place. Unable to move. I don't know how to put it down. I had to bite my tongue pracitcally off to help Neccy. I had to go over and not look at the dog while I figured out how I was going to ask to help. I told Hyia if she goes into rescue this is a part of it, and she might want to learn better social skills then her Nana obviously does not have. I am also have some serious post stress issues. Yell at me, and my heart races, my hands shake, and it takes Days before I can pull it together and shake it off. It literally makes my heart beat wrong. Yelling by males in particular. I stopped being a groomer way back when because I couldn't take what i saw. I wanted to shake people when they said "oh don't cut the mats out just comb it" and when you find maggots, or holes the size of dimes from fleas I wanted to stuff them down their throats. I will never understand how you can do that to "your best friend". I applaud all that can do that day in and day out, and somehow manage to do the good without taking it home and having it eat at you. I came here and held VIctor who is my pop off valve knows his Mama needs him stress dog. I am just sorry. I wish I could back up and try again.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
You might want to look into materials designed for those who deal with Compassion Fatigue - it's something very real for most folks in rescue/sheltering as well as social work and other roles and they are just now coming out with good resources!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THank you very much, I can't tell you how much I appriciate that you gave me this information. I know something like this should not have me in tears a day later, from the stress of the whole package. I feel for the man I really do.I know he is seriously ill and in pain. He is also taking a medication that could affect his judgement and mood. I am not heartless that he needs equally as much help and attention, I was not making a judgement. I didn't yell or argue, I just kept trying to ask him was it a flea shampoo befpre the biospot. That is was important to know. THe man I had come to see in the first place called me this morning. I wasnt' here but he left a message wanting to see if I was ok, and to know he wasn't angry, I didn't do anything wrong, and he wanted to make sure I was still his buddy, which of course I always will be. Emotional fatigue, might explain a whole lot about why I feel like I am coming apart at the seams. It has been a very hard summer. My child that I am raising has had very serious health issues that have scared me out of my wits. Pepper's foot, the garage door, the fact that there is only one captain to this boat and if I fail, it all goes down. I am very tired, and I found out I have a fever which according to my Mother impacts me emotionally as well. To what I don't even know. BUt Mom says I talk a lot when I am getting sick. I am so glad my friend called, because I would never do anything to disrespect him or his home. This evening I will sit down and go through the info you gave me. Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction. I dont' know what I would do without Chazhound people. Your the best of the best.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Thank you <3 ((((hugs))) back.
I don't know what happened with the dog. I hope he is ok. He is a grand old boy beagle.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Uuurgh I understand... I feel bad if I see worms stranded in the middle of the road :/ I usually go back and rescue them. Never mind dogs/cats.

Which is silly because I'm certainly not veggie or even willy or able to help most animals, but I just shrivel up inside at the thought of their distress.... Like when I see sheep being transported in wagons, they must be so confused :( yet I still happily eat lamb. I'm a bit mixed up lol

I did some amazing training on the effect of trauma on the developing brain... The trainer is a therapist and uses horses to work with young people with attachment difficulties.

She talked heavily about how we all share the mammalian brain, which defines feelings. Pain, happiness, hurt, joy, fear etc... Humans have added cognition, but all mammals share the mammalian traits of feeling. Which is why we can all tap into it and have affinity for other mammals (dogs!).

It was fascinating, and really made you think about how we treat our fellow mammals.....

I really should be veggie....

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I hear you. Me too. I feel like a hypocrite. Not about eating meat, but about how it is treated before it comes to me. I have been trying to switch to nuts. Finding the ones that don't give me a slamming headache is the hard part. On Grow Food Not Lawns a site I follow on Facebook, they said sunflower microgreens contained as much protein as you would ever need. So does that mean sunflower seeds do too? But I still have the occasional chicken sandwhich and I still would fall over in a faint over a good roast. I still crave hamburger, tho eat that seldom now. And I hate eggs. And I hate milk. And I hate veggies. Micro greens however I can get down, they are not so bad.

My Mother wrote the story of a BEE and I was always always going to illustrate it, but I never got around to it. I think I know where it is, you will like it I think. It's all her fault I am the way I am. Bless her heart a thousand times over, I am forever grateful that she was one to raise me, and to start Hyia off with the same kind of rearing. Goes to look for the story, it's short.

Members online

No members online now.