Toto's improvement :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Some of you might remember I was training my friends lab/shep mix to not jump on people and greet them nicely by sitting so they could pet him. Well he has made some great improvements! :D yay! lol He now sits almost immediatly when he meets a new person! Sometimes he get's over excited and starts running around them a bit, but as soon as one of us tells him to sit he will do it! :D yay! lol just sharing the news :D

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
yay GOOD JOB. how exactly did you teach him this :D I would like some tips :D Now that we are back in London people will be coming over more often and it will be easier to teach Teddy not to jump now. So please do fill me in :D

congrats BTW :D

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thanks! :D

Sparks, I first worked with just me and the people who live here since it was a little less exciting than new people. Well everytime I saw he was about to jump on someone the person would turn their side to Toto, cross their arms across their chest, and look up at the sky/ceiling. That way we where pretty much ignoring him and he didn't have much of anything to jump onto lol. Well when he got down I told him to sit and when he sat I just praised/treated.

Then I moved on to having a few friends he has meet before (which would be alittle more exciting for him) and had them do the same thing. And had them only pay attention to him when he was sitting down and greeting like a good doggy.lol

Then I moved on to people who wanted to pet him on our walks or someone he has never met before and had them do what I did. It came to a point where he almost never tried to jump at all and now he doesn't jump. Sometimes he will be extra extra excited and not sit at first, but when someon says sit he will and knows that's what is expected of him to get his pets.

Oh and make sure he doesn't get the attention when he jumps from anyone! That would just make him confused and think he can get away with it lol. so that's what I did, plus I think the extra excercise from me helped him a bit.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
awesome ok thanks :D He doesn't jump on us when we come home anymore but we just didn't have that many people over at our new place so it was difficult to teach him how to behave in a situation he was almost never in :D I will make sure to do that when we have visitors

Members online

No members online now.