The dog musing/vent thread

People can be so freaking daft!

I am trying to pick up my dog's poop, then I see you and your puppy coming to greet us. I very clearly body block my dog and get his attention on me so that your puppy doesn't have a negative socialization experience. Yet you STILL come towards us.
Is it not common courtesy to give people picking up after their dog some space???

I stepped on my dog's foot because of you. And he screamed. Really loud. And it broke my heart. Grrrrrrrrrr!
This has happened to me multiple times. I feel like people just don't get it and see how "good" or well behaved your dog is focusing on you so they go up to you. Or people just are dumb and like ooh, dog! Let's bring my puppy up to every dog I see without asking if the other dog is friendly or anything!

I also have seen someone bring a super small 6 week beagle out to the dog park with a bunch of other dogs that were there that day, didn't do any introductions or ask anyone how their dogs would handle such a small dog (like the size of a squirrel). Clearly not fully vaccinated either being that young and around all these dogs owned by college students- I wouldn't be too sure all of them are vaccinated.

I was watching for one of the dogs to think it was prey and go after it, luckily that didn't happen, but some of the bigger dogs like to body slam and tumble with each other and I was waiting for one of them to land on the poor puppy. Definitely not an environment I would have thought to be safe for such a young puppy.

Sparrow

Two of Rook's brothers have recently lost their homes/come back up for adoption. These dogs have some of the best temperaments ever despite the hoarding/neglect situation they came from. It makes me sad and angry to see them homeless again.

Just because they were all recovering from a lifetime of starvation and worms last autumn doesn't mean they aren't still young huskies. I think once everyone started getting strong, they started to wear out their welcomes at various homes. Apparently, they dig and chew and jump fences/run.

Ya think?

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
If I read and counted correctly Outlaw is currently #9 in the World with a club Senior title with Dock Dogs!!

And this is with only the first event of the season! With the jump average he's currently #53 in the world!

I'm could not be more proud of this dog!

I'm at the dog park this morning with Fable, and this lady comes up to and says, dead serious: "Your dog has a glorious tail. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. What breed is she?"

Made my day.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Really? I thought there was a great place in Allendale? Or somewhere around there...I can't remember where I took my dogs to be tested.
Yeah, Woolman herding is up there but she's sketchy to get back with you and from what I've heard is only interested in working with people who want to trial heavily.

Glitch and Gimmick have been wrestling for almost two hours over a hoof. It's Glitches hoof, but he took it out of the crate and into the common areas, which means it's fair game for anyone.

While they've been battling it out, Gambit has taken the hoof onto the couch with me and his happily chewing and watching the melee. That's my smart little coy.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
The two Tollers who were at the CAT in September were there again this past weekend! I really like them, plus I snagged the breeder's name off the run list sheet. I'd have to do a lot more research before I went to them of course, I'm not gonna go over just two dogs, but it's nice to have met some and have an idea of where they came from. Not that I'll be getting another dog for a LONG time, but I like researching :)

ASDFGHUJFERFDV apparently the world is against my dog right now. In the last ten days she has been attacked by two different off-leash dogs (we were on leash walking on downtown streets), has been physically threatened by a drunk guy, terrified by a friend of mine who did not listen to me and insisted "nono, dogs love this!", and saw someone beating up their dog in front of her.

For a soft, sensitive dog that is like the end of the world. She has turned into an emotional mess and while it's not logical I feel like it's my fault I didn't protect her enough. :(

I know from past experience she will bounce back, but the quickest it has taken her to recover was still three or four weeks. And now I am just supremely pissed off because as soon as we finally get weather my dog likes, and start making plans to go hiking and adventuring, I have to keep her on house rest so that she doesn't have a complete mental breakdown. It just doesn't seem fair.

DJEtzel

I have been invited to do a live demo this friday on the 5 o'clock news with the dogs - I'm doing primarily disc tricks/freestyle jam. I can't decide if I want to divide the time up between one, two, or three dogs...

#FirstWorldProblems

Sekah

The Monster.
How much time do you have? Switching dogs can often take a while, especially if you need to warm one or more back up into work mode.

DJEtzel

How much time do you have? Switching dogs can often take a while, especially if you need to warm one or more back up into work mode.
Just a few minutes. But, neither of my dogs have a few minutes worth of a solid routine and this was sprung on me. I planned on warming them up together prior to air time, and I have a stage hand to switch out dogs for me as easily as running off of/onto the field.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
It's so nice when you're sick and your dog is just like, "why aren't we going for a hike yet?"

And then when you start coughing and all that fun stuff, your dog is like, "here, let me lick your face! Oh wait, are you dying?!?! Stop dying, human! CPR! CPR! C P R!! Live, human, live!"

Gosh, thanks Roxie. Usually she's a lot better at dealing with me when I'm sick. Nutty dog :p

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
It's so nice when you're sick and your dog is just like, "why aren't we going for a hike yet?"

And then when you start coughing and all that fun stuff, your dog is like, "here, let me lick your face! Oh wait, are you dying?!?! Stop dying, human! CPR! CPR! C P R!! Live, human, live!"

Gosh, thanks Roxie. Usually she's a lot better at dealing with me when I'm sick. Nutty dog :p
Awww, LOL, at least she cares. :)

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Awww, LOL, at least she cares. :)
Lol, she is a really good dog :) Totally understood all my odd ways of trying to communicate non-verbally when we went for a walk just now.

I think my coughing and gasping for air freaks her out though, and that's why she was acting all fruity :p

Took Wilson to agility practice and he did so so good. Loved on everyone there which is HUGE for him since not even a month ago he was terrified of everyone and everything. Bounced back quickly whenever something scary happened and didn't shut down once. I worked on some handling through jump stands and he is FAST :yikes: he's just been doing so much better and becoming more and more brave and less terrified and curious instead and it's so nice seeing our work pay off. Prozac probably helps a lot too lol.

Sam also decided that dogwalks aren't scary anymore so yay!

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Still have foster puppy Xena, also have two ACD/lab mix puppies for the weekend. Ru loooooooves bullying puppies, the bigger the better. These guys are 5 months and outweigh him by 6x. He is the happiest chihuahua.

Members online

No members online now.