Stuff like this pisses me off!

GoingNowhere

I had two big concerns about this video, but creating a bad rap for "pit bulls" (although I recognize that this dog is not an APBT or an am staffy) was far from one of them.

My first concern is that I don't know anything about this man and whether his "service dog" is actually a service dog or if it is just a dog that he got certified as a service dog to prove a point to the public.

My second peeve was that he spelled "too" incorrectly. :p

That said, looking at the larger picture - I don't see how having a well behaved pit bull looking dog in public is going to hurt the breed's image as a whole. Rather, I would imagine that people who might otherwise assume that all pit bulls (I'm lumping bully types into a single category) are "man eaters" would actually have their views swayed for the better by seeing a well-behaved pittie type dog in public.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not condoning getting a service dog title for a pet dog just to be able to take it into public. Nor am I putting in a plug for American Bullies (or whatever this behemoth of a dog is). I just didn't get any inkling from this video of "OMG he's perpetuating the negative stereotype of the breed." If anything, it seemed to be the opposite.

Shoot me down if you will, but I wanted to chime in before my first impressions got tainted with the views of other posters.

ETA - I did see quite a bit of arrogance on the part of the video maker that also bothered me, but I figure that that is beside the overall point.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I had two big concerns about this video, but creating a bad rap for "pit bulls" (although I recognize that this dog is not an APBT or an am staffy) was far from one of them.

My first concern is that I don't know anything about this man and whether his "service dog" is actually a service dog or if it is just a dog that he got certified as a service dog to prove a point to the public.

That said, looking at the larger picture - I don't see how having a well behaved pit bull looking dog in public is going to hurt the breed's image as a whole. Rather, I would imagine that people who might otherwise assume that all pit bulls (I'm lumping bully types into a single category) are "man eaters" would actually have their views swayed for the better by seeing a well-behaved pittie type dog in public.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not condoning getting a service dog title for a pet dog just to be able to take it into public. Nor am I putting in a plug for American Bullies (or whatever this behemoth of a dog is). I just didn't get any inkling from this video of "OMG he's perpetuating the negative stereotype of the breed." If anything, it seemed to be the opposite.

Shoot me down if you will, but I wanted to chime in before my first impressions got tainted with the views of other posters.

This.

Because on the other side of the coin, people (read: John Q. Public) seeing a dog that is NOT a pit bull being called a pit bull, then every dog thereafter that resembles the hippo is also a pit bull in their minds. And a lot of the people breeding these...things...are only breeding for size and not temperament so there are a lot of unsound hippo dogs out there. When they bite, they are considered the same breed as my apbt even when they're clearly not. All the statistics get lumped in the same category (generic pit bull) which affects my dog who IS a "pit bull."

That's my perspective on it anyways, and why it gripes me when people call these bully type things "XXL PIT BULLS". :)

Melle

ETA - I did see quite a bit of arrogance on the part of the video maker that also bothered me, but I figure that that is beside the overall point.
I agree with this.

Because on the other side of the coin, people (read: John Q. Public) seeing a dog that is NOT a pit bull being called a pit bull, then every dog thereafter that resembles the hippo is also a pit bull in their minds. And a lot of the people breeding these...things...are only breeding for size and not temperament so there are a lot of unsound hippo dogs out there. When they bite, they are considered the same breed as my apbt even when they're clearly not. All the statistics get lumped in the same category (generic pit bull) which affects my dog who IS a "pit bull."

That's my perspective on it anyways, and why it gripes me when people call these bully type things "XXL PIT BULLS". :)
But I also agree with this.

LMost

Would have been better if he had left the chains and spike collar junk at home, and out the video.

Pretty sure that's a Neo x Pit mix. Color, shape, size, and flew kinda scream neo to me.

Melle

I came into this expecting to see something much worse, and he could do without the chain bling and all (although better safe than sorry).

It's a shame he mislabels them "Bully Pit Bulls" where it should really be "Am Bully." But I've seen canoodles worse than this. It looks like, at least, he keeps his dogs in good shape, trains them, cares for them, what have you. Better than some in the bully crowd make the effort to do.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
So he's a registered service dog AND was able to do a basic obedience course? WOW.
Okay, sorry, had to.

I didn't watch the entire thing because my battery is low, but he speaks a big game about this dog being a service dog. Yet, I'm willing to bet if you asked him what the dog helped him with, he'd fly off the handle. (If he does disclose having a disability at some point, then I apologize and stand mistaken).

The spiked and chains are just ridiculous. "Look how sweet and well behaved my pit bull is, he's totally cool....but totally badass and dangerous so I use a chain to walk him"

And this hippo dog sounded like he had breathing problems closer to the beginning of the video.

Shakou

I found the video kind of stupid, and thought the guy was just trying to stroke his ego more then anything, but really didn't see how he was giving Pit Bulls a bad name. His dog was well behaved.

LMost

The hippo remark is a bit uncalled for if it is a Neo/Pit mix. Not all dogs are built the same. If you look at the color and markings on the dog in the vid, there classic Neo markings. Pictured are 2 working and 1 show Neo.

Temperament would also fit.

Tho he should list it as what it really is.

2nd for shock value, I'm highly suspect, that it is just a stunt for business.

There are AM's, EM's, BB's and Rotties that are service dogs which would make it look small.

So he's a registered service dog AND was able to do a basic obedience course? WOW.
Okay, sorry, had to.

I didn't watch the entire thing because my battery is low, but he speaks a big game about this dog being a service dog. Yet, I'm willing to bet if you asked him what the dog helped him with, he'd fly off the handle. (If he does disclose having a disability at some point, then I apologize and stand mistaken).

The spiked and chains are just ridiculous. "Look how sweet and well behaved my pit bull is, he's totally cool....but totally badass and dangerous so I use a chain to walk him"

And this hippo dog sounded like he had breathing problems closer to the beginning of the video.

Melle

I actually find it amusing that in terms of build, there are several massive mastiff breeds that could also be called "hippos" but when it's an AmBully...you know...

The hippo remark is a bit uncalled for if it is a Neo/Pit mix. Not all dogs are built the same. If you look at the color and markings on the dog in the vid, there classic Neo markings. Pictured are 2 working and 1 show Neo.

Temperament would also fit.

Tho he should list it as what it really is.

2nd for shock value, I'm highly suspect, that it is just a stunt for business.

There are AM's, EM's, BB's and Rotties that are service dogs which would make it look small.

I'm familiar with the molosser breeds, but I don't think that's relevant in this case. They are being marketed as XXL Pit Bulls by the breeders. Clearly, they are not pit bulls. The hippo remark was made in reference to a dog they're pushing as a 170 lb XXL Pit Bull. Not a mastiff mix.

Hey, if they said "Neo X Pit Bull" or "DDB X Pit Bull", then I'd respect their honesty at least. But they don't.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yeah i don't see what the problem with this guy is, his dogs seem well taken care of and we'll trained, and, if he went about getting the dog legitimately "passed/registered" as a service dog, than I don't see what the issue is.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I'm familiar with the molosser breeds, but I don't think that's relevant in this case. They are being marketed as XXL Pit Bulls by the breeders. Clearly, they are not pit bulls. The hippo remark was made in reference to a dog they're pushing as a 170 lb XXL Pit Bull. Not a mastiff mix.

Hey, if they said "Neo X Pit Bull" or "DDB X Pit Bull", then I'd respect their honesty at least. But they don't.

This ^

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Compared to what I thought that video was going to be about...
some guy trotting his seemingly well behaved dog around to meet people didn't really bother me lol

Members online