Does your area have a lot of dog events?

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
In New England...I would be willing to bet there is multiple somethings in different venues going on somewhere. We have USDAA, NADAC, AKC, UKI, CPE, AKC, CDSP, Noseworks, UKC, APDT, IPO, Herding, Tracking...you name it, it's out there.

I am so lucky to live in an area of the country where it is my dog sports oyster. :D

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
NO, unfortunately. I live in a small mountain town and there is really no dog stuff unless I wanted to drive three hours away. It really sucks because I would love to get into some dog stuff.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
We had a boarding facility in Boston and a Bass Pro at a football stadium both hosting DockDogs for the past few years, but they decided not to do it this year :(. My own store is hosting it this weekend, but it seems to be really dropping off. It is expensive to host.
I heard it was 10k to host?? That just seems crazy.

JacksonsMom

Yep, this area seems to have a lot IME. Some of them are too annoying for me to drive to -- I hate driving on the beltway, etc, so a lot of the best training centers, I don't have a desire to drive to for classes but there definitely is a ton of stuff. MD/VA area.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
There is a lot around here. I only really pay attention to AKC, but I've seen stuff for other venues through email lists. The only issue is that most of the Ob/Rally seems to be outside (ick) and there is NO WAY you will get day of entries for agility around here. I don't even think those are offered for AKC. All of the agility sites I go to are within 2 hours, most are only about an hour away.

Conformation shows can be a bit more of a drive, up to 3 hours, but if I wanted to travel that far (I generally don't), I could probably show like 2-3 times a month.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Echoing what the other locals have said, from what I have seen MA is a pretty nice place to be for dog sport stuff, lots going on, a lot of training places. Now I just need a car, ha.

Dekka

Just try me..
Another Ontario answer. We have so much, variety and frequency.

We have agility in many flavours. AAC is the most common but we also have some CPE, CKC and even USDAA. We have obedience, CKC and NAMBR, there are earth dog trials CKC and NAMBR, Rally comes in CARO and CKC. There are disc dog trials, and scent dog trials, we have CARA racing, lots of flyball, Dock dogs... (I have helped out with the Norfolk/Norwich fun day.. omg so many cute little terriers)We also have lots of breed specalities and fun days. We have weight pulls and sled dog stuff.

I am sure we have more but I can't think of any.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
No, unfortunately. I'd have to drive an hour and an half (interstate) to find anything. Which really sucks, because I'd love to do fun classes. But I can't justify the time and expense involved when I'd just be doing it for fun, and not seriously.

Generally ok. My house is 90min north of NYC and there is no shortage of dog events within a 2 hour drive. New Jersey and eastern PA are huge for dog shows, though they are a bit of a haul (anywhere from 1-4 hours). There are things in CT too. I wish there was more stuff going on right in my town, but being able to make a day trip to a number of venues is pretty awesome.
Basically this, lol. There is a dock dog facility not too far away and a few different barn hunt things in CT.

Yeah, give or take. And that's just for them to bring the pool and setup and host. Could buy a dock dogs pool for 10k.. :p
Do it. You can put it up in my back yard, with the bees

Finkie_Mom

I strongly prefer to show/trial indoors! Especially ob/rally...they get droopy when it's too hot.
Me too. It's really just too hot to do much of anything with my guys. Except for Jari, but at this point he's not ready to trial in anything :p

I don't mind agility outdoors (Kimma seems to actually prefer it) but the indoor venues around here that operate in the summer are still too hot (no central air). So it's a no on those. Maybe as they become more popular they will figure out better ways to cool them...

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Yeah, give or take. And that's just for them to bring the pool and setup and host. Could buy a dock dogs pool for 10k.. :p
It's $10k for a national level event, about $5k for a club event, at least around here. It does cover the staffing and the pool being brought in and all, but def not cheap.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Ashtabula, Ohio. Nothing for dogs here. Not even a dog park for people's pets.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I don't mind agility outdoors (Kimma seems to actually prefer it) but the indoor venues around here that operate in the summer are still too hot (no central air).
One of my biggest issues with running at most indoor venues is that they use sand or other "horse barn" type ground.
I can't deal with it, my agility shoes are not resistant boots, and the air bothers me.

I'm very fortunate right now because my closest indoor venue (and closest venue period), has fake grass, lots of fans and it's just beautiful.

Finkie_Mom

One of my biggest issues with running at most indoor venues is that they use sand or other "horse barn" type ground.
I can't deal with it, my agility shoes are not resistant boots, and the air bothers me.

I'm very fortunate right now because my closest indoor venue (and closest venue period), has fake grass, lots of fans and it's just beautiful.
Yeah the ones near here are either rubber mat flooring (and I've heard the footing at this place sucks so I do not plan on ever going there) or sprint turf. Which is awesome, but it's just too hot I think. Though Kimma has been running well this summer (the place we train at doesn't have A/C either and has sprint turf), so I'm thinking we might just try next summer anyway and see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.