How to get the dog to drink from a bottle?

Bunny82

You got a lot of good advice already. I agree with what has been said I do not see any way for your friend to be able to safely pour even drops of water into Lotta's mouth without the risk of choking and/or aspiration. Choking and aspiration can happen with even a very small amount of water. Please do not risk it.

Like we have told they do not sell many of the products here you have suggested.
If they don't sell the products you were suggested in Finland, having them shipped may be an option. Simply contact the companies and ask if they ship to your location.

If you refuse to take any advice given, perhaps you should find somewhere else to ask questions.
This 1000 times this. Every single suggestion that was offered was turned down. You keep saying you can't get this, or that, are you saying that there are no sellers of anything that are willing to ship to Finland? I know people who have managed to ship dog to and from Finland, but you can not have a PROPER water bottle for the dog shipped to you?
You can not simply pour water down the dogs throat, even by drops, they would be licking it by then. But put simply, you can KILL the dog by doing it, can you understand that? Kill the dog, it can aspirate, then die. Just don't do it, or do and kill the dog, either way I'm done.

Option #3,412

A portable bowl with a screw on lid, leak proof. No worries about teaching her to drink from a bottle, no worries about causing her to aspirate from being forcibly watered, and you have size options. Easily found pretty much everywhere, and Amazon ships to Finland.

BostonBanker

Thank you! Those were what I was trying to suggest in my first post on this thread, but couldn't find a link to at the time.

yoko

I've taught Yoshi to take liquids from a spoon. So I mean if all else fails you could always try and teach the dog that.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Option #3,412

A portable bowl with a screw on lid, leak proof. No worries about teaching her to drink from a bottle, no worries about causing her to aspirate from being forcibly watered, and you have size options. Easily found pretty much everywhere, and Amazon ships to Finland.
I never would have thought of that. Genius. I'm doing that for my dogs from now on, when we go to the beach or hiking!

I never would have thought of that. Genius. I'm doing that for my dogs from now on, when we go to the beach or hiking!
If it's really hot, I fill a few of them about 3/4 full, freeze them, then add a little water from a bottle to top it off as the ice melts/the dogs drink. They really come in handy! I use them as kibble toters too when I travel. Each one of the large ones holds a days worth for both dogs...they're so much more reliable than ziplock bags which I *always* manage to bust and spill, too.

I totally have a storage container addiction. *shame*

ACooper

You had a legitimate question about the water bottle. People have answered your question and given you sound advice and backed it up with plenty of alternatives. I doubt there is anything more we can offer you on the subject. Truly.

Why a bottle? Why?

We take a soft bowl that just folds up into nothing. And a bottle. Pour water into bowl. Easy. If I don't want waste I only pour a little at a time.

And as I've mentioned before you really should try joining in on other peoples posts :)

This is what we do. We rarely go anywhere without a water for ourselves, so a soft bowl/collapsible bowl is super duper easy to take along for them and share!

They come in many styles, sizes and colors as others have posted/shown you........and I'd find it very hard to believe you couldn't get one in all of Finland, LOL

And you know what? If you really can't find a product like this...MAKE ONE! Look at pictures and get creative. Not that hard if you care about the well being of your (friend's) dog, you'll take/make the time :)

This kind folds all the way down and can hook to your belt, dog collar, or whatever!

This kind pops flat....

Last edited:

Dekka

Just try me..
I am also a little horrified that because the dog's owner is a vegetarian they won't deal with broth. Dogs are carnivores if you can't handle handling things with meat for a your dog's benefit then you really shouldn't have one. If you aren't willing to ship things (I live in Canada, I get things shipped if I can't find them here and I need them...) then you need to find other solutions.

There is also a very simple answer to this. Dont' take the dog on the bus. Its clearly highly stressful for the dog. Then you don't need to risk having the dog aspirate water (can cause mechanical pneumonia) you don't need to carry around water that the dog owner feels is distasteful (ie water with dog slobber in it)

Just don't take the dog on the bus and all issues are gone.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Another thing to consider is why on earth would the owner be taking the dog anywhere so dry that water cannot be easily disposed of? If you are on a bus for long distances, you shouldn't be giving your dog water as it may need to pee halfway through the trip.

If you are in a place with no drains or public restrooms, you should be able to dump the extra water in nearby grass. If there are no drains, no restrooms, and no grass, Lotta probably should not be there to begin with! That would be something like a concrete room, people would also be uncomfortable in that situation.

I understand the owner has autism, if that is why there is concern about the cleanliness of the water, the situation will be impossible. Water only for the dog is not going to be dirty if the dog drinks from it. There is no need to be germophobic about dog water, they can eat raw and rotting meat with no illness.

I've taught a dog to drink from a spray bottle before. Just spray it into the dogs mouth (NOT her throat!) and let her swallow at her own rate. Many dogs do not like spray bottles though since they have been sprayed as a means of discipline so it won't work for everyone.

Members online

No members online now.