Does this sound like a seizure?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I was headed out the door to the e-vet but now she is acting 100% fine? And I'm not sure what to do. I'm not sure if it's a physical issue or a neurological one or even a ear infection or even just her leg had fallen asleep?

I don't know at all what happened. It was very bizarre.

I came home and noted that one of the dogs had puked in the floor. That wasn't so unusual since Mia had had the pukes two days ago. I figured Mia puked. Nothing else seemed out of place.

I let the dogs out and they were running around. Mia went right to eating grass so I thought she must have been the puker.

Summer is running and running and running like a looney, which is normal when I first get home. I notice she hits a sharp turn running and stumbles. I don't think anything of it. I notice she steps halfway off the porch (just an inch drop) and stumbles again. She ended up falling partially about 4 times before I thought something was wrong.

I brought the dogs inside and Summer is still just RUNNING and running. It seemed to me when she would take off running her head would be tilted a bit and low to the ground. But I may be making that up because my initial thought was stroke or something. When she'd stop she'd sort of spin into a sit and keep her legs splayed wide apart. Head low. She would not do her dance trick up on her back legs, her legs would go splayed. But her feet responded to me manipulating them around, flipping them over, etc.

The whole time she was very alert and fine acting. But she was clearly worried and trying to hide, which she will do if anything on her hurts or is off. Even a stomach ache sends her into a cowering, hiding and screaming fit. She has 0 pain tolerance.

I took her out to the car and she was acting much better (this is in the span of just a few minutes). Got some cookies and she was weaving her weave poles like normal and eager to play. She was bouncing on her back legs and also spinning unlike before. I've been watching her a bit longer and everything seems normal now. She jumped on the back of the couch and is chilling alertly.

I think vet is happening tomorrow. But I am so worried right now. :(

Yesterday she ran HARD like she hasn't in a while. I mean sprinting mostly nonstop for an hour. I am wondering if it was actually a physical thing that since she'd been asleep all day didn't manifest until I got home? I don't even know what I could tell the vet beyond she was acting strange and I don't know why.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks. I took video trying to see what was going on but she looks fine in it. It was really only the first couple minutes I was home that she was falling.

Shakou

It's hard to say without having been there to see it myself. Ma'ii once in a great while will have very minor seizures that people with an untrained eye wouldn't think were seizures. He still has partial control over his body, and can even wag his tail when you say his name WHILE it's happening. It's so bizarre.

Keep a close eye on her, bring in to the vet if it will ease your mind, but don't worry to much just yet.

MicksMom

Could have been a seizure. They show in weird ways sometimes. I knew a dog once whose back leg trembled when he was having one. But if she was running hard yesterday, maybe she hurt something. Or something stiffened/knotted up while she was sleeping.

If it were me, I'd be doing the "watch and wait" to see if it happens again.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Might have just been a combination of sore muscles from running around yesterday, and maybe lying on her legs funny for too long during the day?

Though I'm not sure if dogs can even get the "asleep leg" feeling.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Video is good.
Make a word document of some kind. Write down date and time and a description of what happened like you wrote here, more in depth if there are any other details you can remember (like if she spun down into a sit, was it always spinning to the left/right?)

You can take her to the vet but the only thing they'll likely be able to determine is if anything physical is wrong, like something muscular or skeletal. If it was a seizure, they probably won't be able to tell you for sure. =/

But keep that word document and if anything happens again that seems off or weird, anything similar where she's falling or tilting/lowering her head... write it in that document with date and time and as detailed a description as you can manage. Additional video will be helpful too if you can manage any. That way, if something keeps happening, you will know for sure all details even weeks/months after it happened and you'll be able to know frequency too. I still have the word document I created when Pepper had her episode like two years ago. It never happened again but I'm keeping it just in case.

With Pepper, at the time I was positive she was having a seizure - then when it was over, I wasn't sure. The thing with seizures is they can present themselves in all kinds of ways. Dogs can be alert, responsive, even wagging tails when it happens. And bloodwork after the fact doesn't always reveal anything. And, of course, dogs can just be weird. =P So it could have been something else totally random and not related to anything in particular. I don't know if I personally would vet immediately, but I would keep an eye on her and definitely start a record.

Brattina88

Man, that's really tough to say. She could be sore like you said from running so much yesterday... Maybe tweaked a nerve? I'm clumsy when I'm sore too lol

But I wanted to respond because my grandmas toy Eskimo has seizures fairly often. They started when she was middle-adult aged. Her first couple of trimes her legs sprawled out... Like a frog or like a dogs who's knee caps have popped out.. Just spread out and awkward/weird. She was awake and would look at you and walk but couldn't respond to commands like come or sit pretty. Almost like she was bowling us off but more like her body wouldn't listen to her brain :(

After that it was real obvious it was a seizure. They got more severe and her legs would drawl up sporadically and she tips over and can't stand up. Sometimes it's just her front legs but sometimes it's all of them. But she's awake and can look at you when it's happened, poor thing.

So... Hopefully it was just some random thing for you :) my grandma was able to whip out her cell phone and video it (huge props to her for learning that! :) ) and when the vet saw he was like yep deff a seizure. But before that he ran bloodwork to rule other things out, they suspected low blood sugar issues at first.

Either way Vibes coming your way for sweet Summer!!!!!!!

Red.Apricot

You can take her to the vet but the only thing they'll likely be able to determine is if anything physical is wrong, like something muscular or skeletal. If it was a seizure, they probably won't be able to tell you for sure. =/
This is really true--Elsie had an episode, and I thought it might be a seizure. We went in and they had us just watch and wait.

It turns out it was a panic attack so we're working through that, but the vet wasn't able to help.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well she had another one this morning at the trial. This one was at least an hour long episode. She is fine now but are at the vet. There was no open vet for a couple hour drive from where the trial was held.

Xandra

Oh man, this has been a rough stretch for the pap girls :(

Vibes that you get an easily manageable solution to this!!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well the blood work should come back tomorrow. She was 100% by the time we got to the vet. Heart sounded good, etc. She was borderline normal/low on blood sugar and she had eaten a few small cookies between episodes.

So basically we don't know. Could be trauma, tumor, seizure, stroke, etc.

The vet did not think it sounded like a seizure based on the symptoms. Basics of today:

5:50 am Summer jumped off the bed and puked up all her food from dinner
Fine until 9:10 am except that she would not take any food or treats all morning
9:10 am I go to get her out of her crate and she stumbles out. Head down and tilted to one side. Stumbles around. She was alert the whole time but a bit loopy. If you would talk to her she'd tilt her head over-exaggeratedly. There were some periods of panting and stress whining.

There were some vet techs at the trial running their dogs and one thought it might be a focal point seizure but said her gums looked good and her eyes were not twitching. She took water from them and drank.

I headed out to the nearest 24/7 clinic which was over 1.5 hours away. at 10:30 I stopped to go to the bathroom and check on her. I got her out and she was mostly coordinated and very responsive and would take treats from me. The only sign there was anything going on was initially she got out and shook and stumbled just a touch. But after that she was happy and playing and fine.

When we got to the vet she was 100% normal and super excited about being at the vet. She was crazy and inquisitive and wouldn't sit still. She actually climbed on the back of the waiting room seat and was being all sorts of funny and normal.

So yeah... not sure what is going on.

Members online

No members online now.