When has training become a miracle?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I was out walking Zeus, and the weather was beautiful. Everyone and their dog was out walking (no pun intended! :D ). Zeus and I met 7 different dogs and dog owners, ranging in size from a daschund to a large shepherd mix. Each time a dog was approaching, I told Zeus to sit. He sat. And for some reason, that caused jaw-dropping amazement from the other dog owners.

I got comments like, "Oh, how incredible!" "How in the world did you teach him how to do that?" "He must be a lot smarter than my Rover!"

Good god, it's a sit! When has that become such a wonder of the world? While I was proud of Zeus, it made me sad. Especially a few owners of especially rambunctious large dogs, who were wrestling with nearly-uncontrollable dogs on the end of a leash, and then telling me how their dog just "doesn't get obedience" or "isn't bright enough." It kind of tells me why so many dogs are ending up in the pound. :(

Someday, when I win the lotto, I will start a completely free dog training school. :D Free dog obedience classes for all. I bet that would save almost as many dogs as spaying/neutering.

Tobysmom

I think people don't take enough time to try and train their dogs. They expect too much too quickly. All dogs are trainable, some just take more work than others.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I have to say my Hannah is one of the uncontrollable dogs on a leash, without the Gentle leader. With the gentle leader she is too busy trying to paw and knock it off it isn't so good of a walk. I try heal but she won't. She will sit, most of the time, when I tell her (if I have her attention first). She won't sit for more than a few seconds, but she'll sit, if I tell her stay she will stay (agian for thirty seconds if I'm lucky) but she will whine and whimper the whole time. She is never this way at home only when we are out, so PLEASE win the lottery soon.

oriondw

user not active
Funny. When people tell me their dog isnt bright enough, I assume that the owner is just a dumbass.

But then again, if we met a dog like zues on a street... We'd probably at least growl at you. we growl at big dogs

:p

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Gempress said:
I was out walking Zeus, and the weather was beautiful. Everyone and their dog was out walking (no pun intended! :D ). Zeus and I met 7 different dogs and dog owners, ranging in size from a daschund to a large shepherd mix. Each time a dog was approaching, I told Zeus to sit. He sat. And for some reason, that caused jaw-dropping amazement from the other dog owners.

I got comments like, "Oh, how incredible!" "How in the world did you teach him how to do that?" "He must be a lot smarter than my Rover!"

Good god, it's a sit! When has that become such a wonder of the world? While I was proud of Zeus, it made me sad. Especially a few owners of especially rambunctious large dogs, who were wrestling with nearly-uncontrollable dogs on the end of a leash, and then telling me how their dog just "doesn't get obedience" or "isn't bright enough." It kind of tells me why so many dogs are ending up in the pound. :(

Someday, when I win the lotto, I will start a completely free dog training school. :D Free dog obedience classes for all. I bet that would save almost as many dogs as spaying/neutering.
your my hero

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
juliefurry said:
I have to say my Hannah is one of the uncontrollable dogs on a leash, without the Gentle leader. With the gentle leader she is too busy trying to paw and knock it off it isn't so good of a walk. I try heal but she won't. She will sit, most of the time, when I tell her (if I have her attention first). She won't sit for more than a few seconds, but she'll sit, if I tell her stay she will stay (agian for thirty seconds if I'm lucky) but she will whine and whimper the whole time. She is never this way at home only when we are out, so PLEASE win the lottery soon.
LoL! I hope I win the lottery soon too! But I think your situation is different. The owners I met told me that their dogs didn't even know the meaning of the word "sit". :( To me, that's a lot different from a puppy who's excited from being on a walk, and has better things to do to than sit...

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
oriondw said:
Funny. When people tell me their dog isnt bright enough, I assume that the owner is just a dumbass.

But then again, if we met a dog like zues on a street... We'd probably at least growl at you. we growl at big dogs

:p
Amen. LOL so nicely put................thanks for making my evening!!!!!!!
Its never the dogs fault its the owners always. Unfortunately its usually the dogs that end of paying the price for their behavior.

Members online

No members online now.